IGNORED

Neutral Grip vs Strong Grip

Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I started to play golf a month ago, so far I love this game. But I am currently struggling with my strong grip. My problem is exactly the same as a old post here in 2009 as below. My question is, now in 2013, is anything changed? Is neutral grip still the best one? Do I really have to go through the pain to change my grip?

Thank you all.

GT

I recently got a lesson from my course's pro to get my swing back on track after taking a year off (swing was a wreck when I quit last year and wasn't much better this year). The first thing he changed was my grip, he said my grip was too strong and that I need to adopt a neutral grip. This felt horribly unnatural, but I stuck with it as I saw good results at first. Then out of the blue I became a pusher of the ball, I'm talking 45 degree pushes out to the right. I also started severly slicing my long irons and woods, badly, can't keep anything on the fairway now.

I read some books and they all mentioned that a slice can be cured by adopting a strong grip, so I went back to my old comfortable strong grip and now my pushes and slices are gone. I've been fighting with my swing for a week, going to the range every night and getting horribly frustrated at the results, and it was all because of a change my instructor forced me to do.

link is http://thesandtrap.com/t/25783/neutral-grip-vs-strong-grip

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In short, I would say no. If you get desired results with your grip, then leave it be. Else, feel free to mess around with using a weaker grip. No grip is really better than an other. It's what works best for YOU. Dustin Johnson has a fairly strong grip, for example, but he makes it work.

There is no general rule of thumb for this. There are some tendencies, like stronger grips can promote a more inside to out path.

I would basically say, post your swing in the Members Swing thread, fix what needs to be fixed then change your grip if your ball flight is still off.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by arturo28mx

Use whatever works for you. It all depends on your swing.

As my swing got better my grip evolved from strong  to neutral.

This is the most encouraging news I have heared.

Note: This thread is 3924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!