IGNORED

Carry Off the Tee

Note: This thread is 3919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need some guidance here.

Not getting any carry off the Tee with either my Driver or 3 wood.  I see the ball impression and my ball 5 inches past it.. and a few times today i even plug-ed a drive.  I know i am losing some distance.

Using TaylorMade R11s Reg - slightly closed 9.5 degree and a TaylorMade 4W slightly closed @ 16 degree.

thanks for the help

-s

Originally Posted by Steveinator

Need some guidance here.

Not getting any carry off the Tee with either my Driver or 3 wood.  I see the ball impression and my ball 5 inches past it.. and a few times today i even plug-ed a drive.  I know i am losing some distance.

Using TaylorMade R11s Reg - slightly closed 9.5 degree and a TaylorMade 4W slightly closed @ 16 degree.

thanks for the help

-s

I think you got your terms mixed up.  You said in your title you weren't getting any carry, but the description sounds like you mean you aren't getting any roll.

But no roll, by itself, doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I've seen pros hit tee balls that carry 300 yards and land softly with no roll at all.  Nothing wrong with that unless you are saying you have no carry AND no roll.  Then you may have a problem. :)

How far do your drives typically go, and just for comparison, for far does your typical 5 iron go?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sorry i need some roll..and Carry

I usually hit my 5 iron about 170

I was hitting my Drives 225 with no roll it seems to just balloon into the air and go no where. i guessing its getting back spin..

Hello steveinator,

Try and hit a draw. Set up how you would normally hit a draw with a closed clubface and pointing a little right of the target. Also try and think about keeping your grip light all the way through the swing.

Let me know if this helps.

I, chdduncan, realize that I will be permanently banned if I violate the rules again in any way, including putting a link to a site in my signature like the one that a moderator removed and replaced with this message.

Sorry i need some roll..and Carry  I usually hit my 5 iron about 170  I was hitting my Drives 225 with no roll it seems to just balloon into the air and go no where. i guessing its getting back spin..

Do you know if your hitting down on the ball? And by that I mean you have a negative angle of attack with your club. For the average golfer, this is not an ideal thing to do. Some pros do it to add control to their shot, but for them the distance is there. Try hitting up at the ball by feeling your swing is more level and less steep on the downswing.

I have had this issue. I have still yet to totally solve it other than going to an 8.5* driver and teeing it up low. Even with the 8.5* , if I tee it up high I get way too much hang time. Right now I am hitting bullets and my carry seems to have gone up.( Went from 235carry with little roll, to pushing 250 carry plus a little more roll) My total seems to have went up 20 yds. I think a lot of my power was wasted going up too high in the air. From what I have read, I think I still need to hit the ball more on the upswing. Right now I am guessing I am neutral or maybe +1 . I try and try and try to hit it a little more on the up, but it is a struggle.

I had this problem long ago and switch to 9.5 loft driver.   But it was my swing, and not the 10.5 driver I had.

Things to check:

• Tee too high
  • Tee too forward
  • more level swing vs upright (upper cut, iron swing)
  • body leaning down to right too far at address & swing
  • playing with high trajectory ball

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Can you video your swing with a driver (both face on and down the line) then start a thread in the Member Swings part of the site?

You'll probably get much better feedback. At this point, it's all guesswork. If you're able to start one, post the link back in this thread and we can take a look.

Tyler Martin

Note: This thread is 3919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!