IGNORED

RTJ Capital Hill- Which 2 of the 3 to play?

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We played the Capitol Hill and Grand National RTJ sites last October.  If I were going back to Prattville and were only playing two courses, I would play The Judge and The Legislator.  Here are my reasons:

The Senator:  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it.  Impeccable shape, interesting holes, etc.  However, I am generally not as big of a fan of links style courses, and this one was tough.  If you hit it into "the junk", you might as well go ahead and take a one shot penalty.  It might as well have been water hazards.  The good news is, you usually found 2 balls to replace the one you lost!

The Legislator:  Just a fun course.  Very beautiful with some memorable holes.  About a 3-4 hole stretch on the back nine you are playing right up the side of a bluff.  You can look up and see one fairway right above you, and then another fairway back and above that one.  Very cool.

The Judge:  Well its probably one of the more famous courses on the entire trail.  The first hole is obviously the most famous (hit an iron and just get it in the fairway!).  Its incredibly difficult, but still fun.

Hope that helps!  By the way, we stayed in the Country Inn and Suites right at the main highway intersection.  Cheap, clean, and breakfast included.  Probably 4-5 minutes from the bag drop off area.

You won't regret it, an absolute blast.

I echo Jeff's comments above. I actually like the Legislator more than the Judge overall. The Judge has a few incredible holes but also more let down holes in my opinion. The 18th in particular was a huge letdown. It's also quite hard. The legislator just fits together better in terms of the whole 18, it's a bit easier, and a lot of fun. If you play the difficult Judge, I like to pair it with an easier combo vs the Senator, which is also difficult for the reasons given. The Senator has the least amount of scenic views as well. Cheers.

I live in Montgomery and have volunteered at the Navistar LPGA Classic, which is coming back next year as the Alabama LPGA Classic, on the Senator Course at Capitol Hill.  Stacy Lewis won the tournament during her great run last year, and Lexi Thompson got her first career win there the year before.  If you like links-style golf, playing the Senator will let you put your game up against those of the girls on the LPGA circuit.

The last time I played the Legislator, the greens were in surprisingly bad shape, but we've had a lot of rain here and the course is located adjacent to the Alabama River and its wetlands, so that might have been a reason.  It's a fun track.

I'm a high handicapper and have heard horror stories about the difficulty of the Judge, so I haven't tackled that one, yet.

If you have an accurate driver or a long 3 wood, hit the Legislature. Played it twice ... it is tough, and some blind shot holes.

Since I haven't played the Judge or Senator, I'd probably take those two...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3909 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!