Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FloppedBalls

Which club do you chip with?

53 posts in this topic

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Well im still new to golf but I chip with either sw or iron 9 most of the time.Depends a lot on the distance. sw when i want almost no roll when landing and a 9 if i want the ball to roll a bit till a lot futher.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use my SW about 95% of the time, the other 25% I use my GW.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a better question should be, what loft do you use to chip? How does bounce come into play?

Out of the following, which do you think I should practice my chips with:

- 46º w/ 8º bounce (Pitching)

- 50º w/ 8º bounce (Gap)

- 54º w/ 14º bounce (Sand)

- 60º w 8º bounce (Lob)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

chipping (not pitching)...depends on the rollout I'm looking for

so 7i through my PW are all on the table

---been liking my 9i lately

I think most of the answers here people are talking about pitch shots - different than chips

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

chipping (not pitching)...depends on the rollout I'm looking for

Yep.

Usually either an 8-iron or PW but each shot is unique.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

I think most of the answers here people are talking about pitch shots - different than chips

Nope.  I know exactly what the 2 are, and use my 56* SW for most chip shots and for pitch shots it just depends on the situation I am in.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 degree Cobra. For pitches and chips and sand, and pretty much anything inside of 70 yards.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will use any club from LW 60 to 9I.  I try to take my hands no farther back then 730 or 8.  My lob wedge at my home course will go about 10-12 paces 9 out of 10 times(greens are hard and fast a majority of the time).  I add 3-4 paces per club all the way up to 9I, anything farther begins a pitch in my book.  When I go to another course I take my LW and I hit about 5 chips around the green and walk it off and use that as my number for that specific day.  Of course I will always adjust for downhill/uphill and anything else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitching wedge most of the time.

Sometimes 9 iron, 8 iron or 7 iron.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 degree. That's all I can use it for.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by FloppedBalls

Maybe a better question should be, what loft do you use to chip? How does bounce come into play? ...

By chip, I assume we mean a running shot with lower takeaway and hands ahead followthrough. My club for chipping depends on the turf situation:

  • Moon-crater lie near green: Putt with 7W
  • First-cut rough, or fairway short of green: 8i
  • Coarse rough: PW 46.06
  • Fluffy rough: GW 50.08
  • Rough deeper than 1.5": SW 56.14
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It really depends on the lie and conditions... But typically I'll use my 60* (6 bounce, tour grind) 85% of the time and my 56* (14 bounce, tour grind) the other 15%. I'm generally more of a flop and stop player vs. Bump and run
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0