• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vmsea

PGA Championship - Fans pick flag location for final round

25 posts in this topic

http://picktheholechallenge.pga.com/

Thoughts on the four choices?

I originally thought C is interesting to see people dump it in the water but maybe that will just cause people to avoid it and make it a boring par hole.  Ended up voting for A!

If you vote, you can see what the current voting is looking like..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I like hole location A.  I think it's good when you make par-3's challenging.  The only question I have is what are holes 14,16,17,18? I don't like when courses are setup with no birdie opportunities over the closing holes.

I think this idea for fans to get involved is great for golf.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted C, and it appears to be the overwhelming leader at the moment. Jack said in the interview that "this is not a pin to challenge". It'll be interesting if there are several guys near the lead that need birdies that need to challenge it. It seems like the most difficult location for a birdie, so I went with that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Voted B.  I like the proximity to the sand and fringe and it would be nice to see tiger make a birdie from the bunker.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big majority has picked C.  Yall are cruel.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A.  Looks solid.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I think D is actually one of the tougher pin positions.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by tmac20

I think D is actually one of the tougher pin positions.

Easily top 4.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I like B.  The "safe" side of the pin is closer to the water, and if you go left of the pin you end up in a bunker or down in that little chipping area, it looks like.  Basically, it seems to me that if the water isn't there, the right play would be to aim a little right of the B pin to avoid that swale.  Since the water is there, I'd think they'll say "eff it, I don't want to be in the water or the swale, so I'm firing right at the flag," which can lead to some really great shots and birdie chances.

One question:  I heard them say it was "not a long par 3" a couple of times, but never heard them say what the actual distance was.  Anybody?

One more:  I wonder if those are the exact 4 positions they'll use for each day and we're just picking which one they'll use on Sunday. or if they have other choices already planned out for the other days?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

One question:  I heard them say it was "not a long par 3" a couple of times, but never heard them say what the actual distance was.  Anybody?

The PGA website has it listed at 181. Not sure if there are multiple tee box options, though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I like B.  The "safe" side of the pin is closer to the water, and if you go left of the pin you end up in a bunker or down in that little chipping area, it looks like.  Basically, it seems to me that if the water isn't there, the right play would be to aim a little right of the B pin to avoid that swale.  Since the water is there, I'd think they'll say "eff it, I don't want to be in the water or the swale, so I'm firing right at the flag," which can lead to some really great shots and birdie chances.

One question:  I heard them say it was "not a long par 3" a couple of times, but never heard them say what the actual distance was.  Anybody?

One more:  I wonder if those are the exact 4 positions they'll use for each day and we're just picking which one they'll use on Sunday. or if they have other choices already planned out for the other days?


I read somewhere that none of the 4 will be in place the other 3 days.. not sure if that's confirmed.. just something i read somewhere (so take with a cup of salt). :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by vmsea

I read somewhere that none of the 4 will be in place the other 3 days.. not sure if that's confirmed.. just something i read somewhere (so take with a cup of salt). :)

But then it'll taste just like a Shorty post , .

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I voted A.  Imagine playing it out of the left bunker with the water just behind the hole, could be interesting. I agree with the above posts for C.  It will lead to players playing it safe (boring).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted B, I like how it is in the narrow part of the green and how you can't miss right or left. I thought C would force players to play it safe and make it boring, and that A was a little easy because the green is broad there, and D seemed like it would also be simpler
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too lazy to start a new thread... And didn't want to steal anyone's thunder in starting a PGA Championship thread... So I figured this was the best place to post this?

I got a good laugh when I saw this photo on Instragram.

Gmac with a piece of grass taken from the rough at Oak Hill, where next weeks major will be played.  Players are saying the course is going to be setup with very long rough, US Open like... So that begs the question.  How difficult do you think the course will be for these guys?  From the sounds of things... The course is going to be playing firm and fast - with long rough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Tiger played it on Tuesday and said the greens were running at about a 9. He mentioned some questionable spots on the greens and wasnt sure how fast they could get the greens in the time they have.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of excellent tweets check out Luke List's new clubs. http://golfdig.st/19y2UCJ
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by TJBam

Tiger played it on Tuesday and said the greens were running at about a 9. He mentioned some questionable spots on the greens and wasnt sure how fast they could get the greens in the time they have.

The course I practice on... They typically run at 9 to 10 too.  And for the tournaments they play here, the pro told me they triple cut each green, and then roll them and they will run at 11 to 12 easy.  I'm guessing they will do the same at the PGA?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0