IGNORED

Most dangerous things you've seen on a golf course?

Vector Zero
Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

During golf tryouts in High school, everyone would go up to the first tee and watch as the guys tee'd off.

One of the kids was standing off to the left, about 15yds... He wasn't even on the tee box, but he was far enough ahead of the kid teeing off that when he tee'd off - and pulled it severely to the left, that the ball hit the kid standing on the left in the throat.  I'll never forget it, because he immediately dropped to the ground and grabbed his throat.  We didn't know if he could breathe or what the issue was... But it was just the shock of being hit, and the pain of getting nailed in that area that had him down on the ground.  It left a huge welt on his neck/throat area.

The good thing was the kid who hit the shot only made a glancing blow on the ball - nearly missed it, so the tee shot didn't have enough velocity to do major damage.

A second story dates back to when I worked on a local golf course.  In order to speed play, we had a few holes on the course where they would send us out to fore caddie.  One was a par 5, which had a large marsh area which crossed the middle of the fairway and came into play on your second shot.  There was also a stream that ran through the property and dumped off into that marsh area.  One guy would be on the tee with a walkie talkie, and communicate down to the fore caddie in the fairway when tee shots were being hit from the elevated tee.  The fore caddie down in the fairway would be off in the rough looking for the balls that landed.  Then get the yardage so that when the players pulled up, they didn't waste time looking for their ball, and trying to get yardages.

So one day, I was working the fore caddie spot down in the rough off to the left... And a foursome of ladies were hitting their 2nd shot which had a forced carry - or you needed to lay up.  They laid up behind the marsh, which left them with approximately 80yd shot into the green for their 3rd.  They went down to their ball with the cart, and hit their 3rd shot.  There are foot bridges that walk across the marsh and stream area, but you can't drive a cart over these foot bridges.  There are signs that clearly mark that... The cart path is back on the right side - and you have to drive back to the right to get up to the green side with a cart.  Well the ladies didn't pay attention and drove the cart onto the foot bridge (which is narrow - not wide enough to drive a cart over!).  They made it about 3 yards onto the bridge before the cart crashed into the marsh.  I didn't even have a chance to yell at them to stop before the cart slipped off the foot bridge.  Thankfully the ladies were not seriously injured, just bumps and bruised.  And shaken up... We had to get a tractor out on the course to pull the cart out of the marsh/stream inlet which was about a 6ft drop.

GOT TO LAUGH AT THIS!! Ladies driving... golf carts even.. sheesh.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Still not OK to deliberately hit a ball back at someone. If he hits you, then a judge would probably say that you were hit during the normal course of a round and assumed the risk (that's what I've always been told about lawsuits in these types of cases). I would imagine if you hit one backwards back at a group, that same defense probably wouldn't hold up because hitting balls backwards at other people in retaliation is hardly in the normal course of a round.

I agree.  I've never hit back at anyone...but I'll gladly accept a free ball (if its of quality)!

Originally Posted by TJBam

GOT TO LAUGH AT THIS!! Ladies driving... golf carts even.. sheesh.

lol

Truf.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Allow me to demonstrate the danger of teeing off/putting at Jersey Meadows golf course in Houston, TX.

From the driving range, a 210 slice hits the #2 green that is circled.  A long OB drive with a slice (common for people outswinging themselves) lands on the #3 tee boxes circled.  Last time I played there, there were no less than 15 (FIFTEEN) practice balls littered all over the teeboxed circled on the right.  One landed in the trees and rolled up to bump our cart too.  Needless to say I won't play there again.

Let me add that there is no netting or any sort of other protection besides hoping the practice balls hit the trees instead of landing on your head.  The fairways are narrow and only divided by a few trees, so run-ins with other balls are not uncommon.  It's a freakin battlefield at that course.

From the driving range, a 210 slice hits the green that is circled.  A long OB drive with a slice (common for people outswinging themselves) lands on the tee boxes circled.  Last time I played there, there were no less than 15 (FIFTEEN) practice balls littered all over the teeboxed circled on the right.  One landed in the trees and rolled up to bump our cart too.  Needless to say I won't play there again.

One of the nicest courses here in SW South Dakota is like that, the first green is littered with balls. The terrible thing is the hole is only 300 yards downhill so it's driveable, but my miss is always left and a miss left is not only a killer because it's a tough chip back up to the green, but also because you're going to get hit with balls!!!

I used to take my 6 year old son to a local par 3 that gets ridiculously crowded in the summer. We got stuck behind a foursome of  younger kids, late teens with a couple rented clubsets that really were only out for a way to kill time. Behind us was another foursome of kids the same age but were obviously decent players. The kids in front played every hole to it's conclusion, no picking up after 3 putts, chipping from roughly the same distance as the tee was, multiple bunker shots,really getting their money's worth and holding us up but everyone was stacked up, multiple groups everywhere with a LOT of very novice players,just a nightmare. Kids behind us start getting impatient and finally on the 6th, I hear a ball hit the green behind me as I'm walking back to the cart, I turn and look at the tee box and make sure they know I saw it.  Lining up my putt from about 15 feet on the 8th it happens again,fortunately my son is already in the cart because he plays so fast. I  walk to the ball, pick it up and walk all the way back to the tee box with my putter, fuming ready to take on all 4 of them.  I ask if this is their ball and they say no so I chucked it into the pond and walked back to the cart, still had to wait on the goofs in front of us on the next hole.

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

I forgot I could load a pic of the situation at that course. Hope it works... That is a low line of small bushes off on the right of #7 Tee... only a few feet high these days, there wasn't ANYTHING there at the time of the incident.

Originally Posted by WhySoSerious

I used to take my 6 year old son to a local par 3 that gets ridiculously crowded in the summer. We got stuck behind a foursome of  younger kids, late teens with a couple rented clubsets that really were only out for a way to kill time. Behind us was another foursome of kids the same age but were obviously decent players. The kids in front played every hole to it's conclusion, no picking up after 3 putts, chipping from roughly the same distance as the tee was, multiple bunker shots,really getting their money's worth and holding us up but everyone was stacked up, multiple groups everywhere with a LOT of very novice players,just a nightmare. Kids behind us start getting impatient and finally on the 6th, I hear a ball hit the green behind me as I'm walking back to the cart, I turn and look at the tee box and make sure they know I saw it.  Lining up my putt from about 15 feet on the 8th it happens again,fortunately my son is already in the cart because he plays so fast. I  walk to the ball, pick it up and walk all the way back to the tee box with my putter, fuming ready to take on all 4 of them.  I ask if this is their ball and they say no so I chucked it into the pond and walked back to the cart, still had to wait on the goofs in front of us on the next hole.

It's not your ball?  Then you won't mind it taking a DIP! LOL Classic

I was playing with my niece and nephew a couple of years ago and, after putting out on a hole, we walked to the next tee and my niece decided to walk up toward the ladies tee box, about 80 yards in front of us. She was well off to the side, but my nephew, who is built along the lines of Brian Urlacher, duck hooked a screamer right at her and she had no time to get out of the way, other than to throw up her arms to block it from hitting her head. Horribly bruised, with a hairline fracture on her forearm.

And I don't know how many here are old enough to remember the three wheeled carts, but they were ridiculously dangerous. I saw at least three of them roll back in the day. including  one that I was in. A friend was driving it very dangerously down a hill and I could feel it going, so I bailed. We were lucky we didn't get killed.

Bill M

/THREAD

Ryan M

My son and I were looking for his ball that had rolled into a ditch in the fairway. He was walking beside me and almost stepped on a coiled, ready to strike, 4' cottonmouth (water moccasin). I saw it and put my forearm across my son's chest just before he stepped on it. I went back to the cart and got my 4 iron and hit it like chopping a piece of fire wood. It crawled off and was gone before I could hit it again.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

Originally Posted by 6iron

My son and I were looking for his ball that had rolled into a ditch in the fairway. He was walking beside me and almost stepped on a coiled, ready to strike, 4' cottonmouth (water moccasin). I saw it and put my forearm across my son's chest just before he stepped on it. I went back to the cart and got my 4 iron and hit it like chopping a piece of fire wood. It crawled off and was gone before I could hit it again.

That must have been pretty scary.  I recently made sushi rolls out of a coral snake that was slithering on a fairway.  But cottonmouths are much more dangerous, especially in the case with your kid there.

Bears, venomous snakes, alligators......all the time.

Unfortunately, the most common, and most dangerous thing tends to the drunk golfer......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by TJBam

Yawn

Oh come on...live a little.

I wanted to put OJ, but couldn't find a good golf picture.

Ryan M

Never understood the need to kill a snake on a golf course (or anywhere else for that matter) unless it's in a position to harm someone.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Never understood the need to kill a snake on a golf course (or anywhere else for that matter) unless it's in a position to harm someone.

If it's poisonous, you may be saving someone else who didn't see it until it was too late. With that said, I wouldn't kill it, I'd just be taking a bunch of cell phone pics lol

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3630 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!