IGNORED

What's your luckiest shot?

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A little spin on the "best shot" thread.

We've all had unlucky breaks where we hit a good shot and get a bad result. What about the opposite? I've seen countless pulls or slices that hit a tree and end up in the middle of the fairway (NEVER happens for me ).

One of mine was probably this past Saturday. Pushed my drive a hair, not bad, but it settled under a tree leaving me about 165 yards to the green with absolutely no way to get any loft on the ball. I grab my 5 iron and put it way back in my stance, trying to hit the lowest punch shot possible. It ends up looking like a putt that rolls about 162 yards to the green right at the pin, leaving me a 10 footer for birdie...

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was one particular short par 4 at the course where we played the state golf tournament my junior year of high school. It was about 240 to a waste area which was about 20 yards wide running across the fairway and it was about 70 yards from the edge of it to the green. I hit a 2 iron, trying to get as close as I could. It hit a sprinkler head and jumped across the waste area, then rolled almost all the way to the green.

Same tournament the next day, I hooked a drive way left into the trees. I tried to hit a 3 iron from a terrible lie to get it all the way to the green. I thinned it really bad and it didn't carry the pond I had to go over/around. Skipped twice on the water and finished about 30 yards short of the green. I played it off to the other guys in the group like I planned to do that.

Tyler Martin

Years ago.  I was playing a course with my dad.  Somewhere on the backside is a short par 3 with a water carry.  I hit my shot and leave myself a birdie putt that is MAYBE 3'.  My Dad tee's off after that and ends up left of the cart path.  As we get to the green, I grab my putter and mark my ball and clear out for my dad to hit his approach shot (it was so far away it wasn't even a chip)

He skulls the ball, it skitters along the ground hitting something that causes it to ricochet off the ground, bounces off the cart path where it takes a high bounce, lands on the green and rolls into the cup for a birdie.

I missed my putt and got par.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

Years ago.  I was playing a course with my dad.  Somewhere on the backside is a short par 3 with a water carry.  I hit my shot and leave myself a birdie putt that is MAYBE 3'.  My Dad tee's off after that and ends up left of the cart path.  As we get to the green, I grab my putter and mark my ball and clear out for my dad to hit his approach shot (it was so far away it wasn't even a chip)

He skulls the ball, it skitters along the ground hitting something that causes it to ricochet off the ground, bounces off the cart path where it takes a high bounce, lands on the green and rolls into the cup for a birdie.

I missed my putt and got par.

Hahaha. Golf can be a son of a bitch sometimes...

Ryan M

I actually just posted this in a seperate thread, but I'll ellaborate a little here.

I was playing a par 4 that measures about 400 yards if played how it's laid out. It's a dogleg right and you can cut the corner and be about 80 or so yards out with a good shot. Sure enough that's what I tried and hooked it into long grass. It was a TERRIBLE miss (I know this is luckiest shot, I'm getting there). I was lucky to just find my ball, let alone have a chance to hit it. I was about 100 yards out and because of where I was it was a blind shot to the pin. I could see a portion of the green but not enough to know exactly where the pin was. I managed to hit the ball of the long grass cleanly enough to reach the green, well unfortunetly I coudln't find my golf ball around the green. Turns out it went into the hole for what I consider my luckiest eagle.

310 yard par 4, not super smart to go for it with a super wide fairway about 100 yards out but a much shorter one at ~280 with a bunker protecting the front right of the green.  Not feeling smart that day, decide to try to bomb it.  Hit an ugly lowish pull draw.  Ball screams left, lands perfectly at the bottom of the cart path curb, rocket hops off the bottom of the path, then off the side of the curb and back to the right, two hops to the green, rolls to 15-18 feet.  Missed the eagle putt but got my tap-in 2-putt birdie.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Originally Posted by Motown88

I actually just posted this in a seperate thread, but I'll ellaborate a little here.

I was playing a par 4 that measures about 400 yards if played how it's laid out. It's a dogleg right and you can cut the corner and be about 80 or so yards out with a good shot. Sure enough that's what I tried and hooked it into long grass. It was a TERRIBLE miss (I know this is luckiest shot, I'm getting there). I was lucky to just find my ball, let alone have a chance to hit it. I was about 100 yards out and because of where I was it was a blind shot to the pin. I could see a portion of the green but not enough to know exactly where the pin was. I managed to hit the ball of the long grass cleanly enough to reach the green, well unfortunetly I coudln't find my golf ball around the green. Turns out it went into the hole for what I consider my luckiest eagle.

This made zero sense until I realized that you were a lefty.

Awesome shot.

Tyler Martin

In a tournament a few years back, I was playing a dreadful round and was something like 5-over after 4 holes. On hole 5 (par 4, lying 2) I skull my pitch shot, which is sure to go screaming across the green and down the back slope, leaving me a likely double or worse. Miraculously, my ball glances off a playing partner's and caroms sideways to the right. Still carrying enough speed to leave me a tricky putt, the re-directed ball hits the pin square-on and drops for the hands down ugliest birdie of my life.

I've hit about 4 red/white staked trees that have ended up middle of the fairway / first cut...

when you hit it out there enough, good things bound to happen. ;)

Too many to remember them all, but probably the worst shot which resulted in the best possible result was a tee shot on a par 3 back in May of 1990.  160 yards downhill, so tried to take a little bit off a 6 iron.  Didn't quite work, and thinned a low screamer left of the green, hit the steep slope above the putting surface and shot dead right, about 40 mph headed for the 2 blue spruce trees on the back right of the green.  Somehow the flagstick got in the way and the ball hit it dead square, crawled up it about 2 feet, then dropped straight down into the hole for my second ace in 10 months.  As it turns out, it was also my last ace (so far ).

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Hit a 3W into a green on a par five from about 230 or so to 3'.  The green was small and I did not know it at the time, but it was also surrounded by water.  I was lucky I did not know the water was there.  There is no way I make that shot knowing the trouble.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I sliced a drive into some tall pine trees and had about 140 yard to the green with more trees about 30 yards in front of me. There was a tree to my back but didn't impact my swing and the only two shots I had was a punch shot through the group of trunks in front of me and hope for some luck or attempt to fly it over some pine trees about as tall as a telephone pole and hope it lands close to the green. I chose the latter since the windows of a punch shot were very narrow. Hit an 8 iron cleanly with a slightly open face to try and get some more loft and it barely cleared. Got to the green and picked up my wedges and putter to look for my ball. One of my buddies asked me why I'm bringing my wedges since my ball was sitting 3 feet from the cup. Sunk it for birdie.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Well...what a coincidence that I started this thread today...

Par 3, real short...about 135. Grab my PW, and proceed to skull the hell out of the ball. Did I mention there's a pond between the tee box and green?

Ball skips across the water, ends up just off the green, and I get up and down for par. lol

Ryan M

I can't remember the exact details, as I am more unlucky than lucky most of the time. But I hit an approach shot to a green heading for the woods, and a tree decided to be nice and throw it back onto the green.

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!