IGNORED

2013 RBC Canadian Open Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Expert picks: RBC Canadian Open
Expert Fantasy selections Projected champion
Rob
Bolton
Dustn Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Hunter Mahan, Brandt Snedeker
Brandt
Snedeker
He’s fourth in FedExCup points, which means he’s positioned to become the first FedExCup champion to return to East Lake the following season. Also capitalizing on the valuable fact that I still have seven starts remaining for Johnson.
Mike
McAllister
Matt Kuchar, Hunter Mahan
Graeme McDowell, Brandt Snedeker
Graeme
McDowell
McDowell won the RBC Heritage the week after the Masters. Why not pick him to complete the RBC double by winning another post-major event?
Chris
Dunham
Brad Fritsch, Jim Furyk
Morgan Hoffmann, Cameron Tringale
Cameron
Tringale
Tringale ranks 10th on TOUR in hitting greens and, like many players, he's a good putting weekend away from a career-changing victory. Furyk has two wins in Canada. Hoffmann has four straight top 25s. My Canadian pick, Fritsch, has made better than 75 percent of his cuts this year. THAT's how to construct a winning lineup.
Helen
Ross
Hunter Mahan, Graeme McDowell
Charl Schwartzel, Brandt Snedeker
Brandt
Snedeker
I like the way he rebounded from that  second-round 79 at The Open Championship and finished 11th. Not to mention, he hasn't finished lower than 17th in his last three starts -- two of which were majors.
John
Schwarb
Graham DeLaet, Matt Kuchar
Hunter Mahan, Brandt Snedeker
Matt
Kuchar
He's just so ridiculously consistent, from 20 consecutive cuts to a sixth-place rank in adjusted scoring. The Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance was his first stroke-play win of the year; you know he's going to get at least one more this season if not two. Why not here?
Bill
Cooney
Graham DeLaet, Hunter Mahan
Charl Schwartzel, Brandt Snedeker
Hunter
Mahan
Coming off a T9 at The Open Championship; also had a top 10 at the U.S. Open. Love his ballstriking ability for Glen Abbey, which is a reason I also like the Canadian DeLaet -- first on the PGA TOUR in greens in regulation.
Ryan
Smithson
Chris Kirk, Matt Kuchar
Daniel Summerhays, Brandt Snedeker
Brandt
Snedeker
Daniel Summerhays must feel like Secretariat right now. He's shot 65 or better three times in the last three weeks. I don't care if the courses were set up easy; This guy is trending big-time. Cue the jinx.
Anne
Detlefsen
Graham DeLaet, Chris Kirk
Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar
Chris
Kirk
Kirk enters this week with momentum after his third top 10 of the season at Sanderson Farms. Was T4 here last year.
Bryan
Mullen
Graham DeLaet, Luke Donald
Chris Kirk, Camilo Villegas
Graham
DeLaet
The Canadian had a rough finish at The Open Championship, but he has played well in recent weeks. He finished third at Travelers and had a T8 at the AT&T; National. He ranks No. 1 on the PGA TOUR in greens hit (71.62 percent) and No. 2 in total driving.
John
Swantek
Graham DeLaet, Matt Kuchar
Hunter Mahan, Daniel Summerhays
Hunter
Mahan
Has played in the final pairing in each of the last 2 majors and shot 75 each time. This week's national Open brings another chance at redemption.
Brian
Wacker
Chris Kirk, Scott Piercy
Brandt Snedeker, Nicholas Thompson
Brandt
Snedeker
Snedeker finished fifth the last time this tournament was played at Glen Abbey in 2009 and he comes in playing well with three straight finishes in the top 20, including a tie for 11th at The Open Championship.
Sean
Martin
Luke Donald, Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar, Graeme McDowell
Luke
Donald
Hard to believe he hasn't won since last year's Tampa Bay Championship presented by Everbank. Here's to Donald ending his winless streak in Canada.
Amanda
Balionis
Luke Donald, Dustin Johnson
Matt Kuchar, Hunter Mahan
Dustin
Johnson
He's come close before at the U.S. Open and The Open Championship and this is the week he competes at Canada's open.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm surprised the field is as strong as it is...  I wasn't even going to watch this tournament, until I saw your post Mike.  Now I may have to tune in on Sunday?

Hey, Hideki Matsuyama's in the field this week. After Muirfield, I was thinking about where his earnings from two top-tens in majors put him towards earning enough money to secure a PGA Tour card for next year. He's at $417,907, which is behind the current $503,606 threshold of the current earnings of no. 125 on the 2013 money list. What really shocked me, though, is that the young man is currently 34th in the world rankings; I can't believe he's that far up. That means he's not only playing this week, but he's also in the field next week at the WGC event at Firestone, and the PGA Championship a week after that. Granted, even if Hideki does satisfy the requirements for PGA Tour membership, he may still prefer to play in Japan full-time for the forseeable future, but I'd still like to see if he'd be able to do it.

I'm checking the leaderboard, and Matsuyama's five-under so far. That's a good start.

(Edit: What I didn't know about Hideki Matsuyama, and what you didn't hear through the "rookie pro gets into the field of two Opens through regional qualifiers, and finishes in the top ten each time" narrative, is that he has been dominant on the Japan Golf Tour this year, winning twice and earning twice as much as the second-place golfer on the Order of Merit even without the two major appearances. So now you know.)

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I was there this morning. Watched Bubba's group the majority of the day. On the par 5 13th, in the middle of Bubba's backswing,somebody's phone rang, prompting him to stop in the middle of his swing. When he hit, people started chanting "great shot Bubba", but it started to fade towards the hazard. Bubba then said to the crowd, "Oh yeah! Great shot! Right into the hazard! Why don't you just answer your phone next time". I couldn't stop laughing, even though Bubba was clearly pissed off.

Originally Posted by tmac20

I was there this morning. Watched Bubba's group the majority of the day. On the par 5 13th, in the middle of Bubba's backswing,somebody's phone rang, prompting him to stop in the middle of his swing. When he hit, people started chanting "great shot Bubba", but it started to fade towards the hazard. Bubba then said to the crowd, "Oh yeah! Great shot! Right into the hazard! Why don't you just answer your phone next time". I couldn't stop laughing, even though Bubba was clearly pissed off.

Wow that sucks that people have no respect for Pro golfers any more. Leave your goddam phones in your car!!!!!!!!!!!! If I was Bubba, I would have walked over to the guy with the phone, gabbed it, and threw it in the water hazard.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Happy to see Weir playing well. He's not the Canadian most thought would be playing the best.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

lol...they just said Mike Weir is "Low Canadian." Gosh, what an honor.

I think that's a pretty good honor in the Canadian Open.

Nantz said the situation was "unusual" because his wife was in labor. Even though he's in the lead and left and there's a guy playing by himself, that's "unusual"? A guy dropping everything because his wife is in labor? What's so unusual about that?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think that's a pretty good honor in the Canadian Open.

There's 3 in the field. Not exactly stiff competition.

Leader Hunter Mahan WD because his wife went into labor!

This became a discussion point with my wife.  Would anyone here do this when leading a tournament with winner's purse north of $1M?   I am sure a few wives would insist on their husbands to finish the tournament.  A few husbands may keep on playing, especially, if they have not tasted any victory in their career.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator
Originally Posted by rkim291968

This became a discussion point with my wife.  Would anyone here do this when leading a tournament with winner's purse north of $1M?   I am sure a few wives would insist on their husbands to finish the tournament.  A few husbands may keep on playing, especially, if they have not tasted any victory in their career.

The Mahan family can afford to pass up on a chance for a million bucks. He can't see his first child being born ever again.

The equation changes if it's some journeyman, yes, but they still might make the same decision.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Was. 3 made the cut.

Regardless, he's still the low Canadian out of 18 players in Canada's national open.

Was. 3 made the cut.

It's the Canadian Open? Not sure if you've noticed yet but there aren't many Canadians on tour so when we have 18 in a tournament it's somewhat of a big deal.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!