IGNORED

Who is worse to play with? Cheaters or High Handicappers?

Snowman
Note: This thread is 6047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This question came to me after reading another post where alot of our members said that they did not like playing high handicapped players, because basically the sight of their game distracts them.

I am now halfway through my first season back after an 8 year leave of golf. I have been putting in plenty of time practicing, but I still struggle to break the 100 mark with my scores, my average score over the the past 4 months is an ugly 102. But all my scores are true, I call all penalties on myself and never take any mulligans. On average I take about 9 penalty strokes a round, mostly from balls being lost after rolling into the rough.

On the other hand, I play with a friend who swears that he shoots in the low 80's. Granted he is a better ball striker than I am, but he never counts penalties. Just this past weekend, he drove his ball in the right hand rough, and after 2 minutes his ball suddenly appeared in the open. But just after hitting his second shot, another playing partner found his actual ball 50 yards short of where he played from, with no clear shot to the green or fairway. His reply was to just play it off as if it was not his, although the ball had his markings on it. Then a few holes later, his approach came up short and landed in waste deep weeds. After taking 7 swings to finally get out, he wound up carding a 5 for the hole.

What my friend does, has no bearing on me, because we never play for money. I feel the only one he is cheating is himself, considering that golf is just you versus the course.

So with the little background of 2 different type of players that I have given, who is worse to play with? The cheater or the high handicapper?

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather play with a high HC than a cheater anyday, i play with alot of cheaters and it is really annoying to see them brag about their score afterwards, although some high handicappers you get frustrated because they are slower than most. It is better than playing with a cheater
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Playing with cheaters is better because they are faster than anyone.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

I'd much, much rather play with a high handicapper (I do all the time) than a cheater. But honestly, as long as there aren't any wagers going around, I couldn't care less if the other guy cheats, as long as he's having fun. He's only cheating himself.

Personally, I hate playing with whiney, angry players who go out expecting to shoot par and end up pouting the whole round because they suck and are on pace for a 120.

Driver: Titleist 907D1
3W: 906F2 15
5W: Cobra SZ HS
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 21
Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

Cheaters are the worst. I started a thread last year about a cheater in our league and how to handle it. It actually got handled by one of the ladies in our league. With one week to play I did a sort of year end recap of everyones scores and found that he had taken a 10 on a hole and when it was added up it ended up only being counted as a 1. Hell of a shot on a 320 yard par 4. The correction caused a bit of comotion as he felt it was unfair to go back and change the score and standings after the fact. It figures a cheater would be first to complain about an honest mistake. I suggested that we go back to having both teams add and sign the card. That way all scores are final after that night. This all took place via e-mail to the entire league. My mother-in-law fires back with something to the effect of "I agree, but we need to make sure that everyone is using the same counting methods." It's amazing that this year he has yet to break 50 when he averaged 49.7 last season.

Bad golfers are fine with me if they keep pace. Back in the day I could shoot a 60 for 9 and still keep pace with guys shooting in the 30's.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Personally, I hate playing with whiney, angry players who go out expecting to shoot par and end up pouting the whole round because they suck and are on pace for a 120.

Amen to that. My uncle and his son (my cousin) are just like that. It is to the point that it is such a distraction because they are never pleased and cuss and hollar the entire round.

To answer the topic of this thread, I'd rather play with a high HC player, cheaters like you described above disgust me. What really pisses me off is when their final score ends up lower than mine and they are all proud of it. It should be lower, you fudged 20 strokes out there dude.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

To be honest, unless it's a match obviously, I don't mind being grouped with a cheater. But High Handicappers do frustrate me.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

What really pisses me off is when their final score ends up lower than mine and they are all proud of it. It should be lower, you fudged 20 strokes out there dude.

I played one such round last week with an acquaintance of mine. On at least three holes, he made double digits and penciled in about half of what scored. It is kind of hard to ignore when the guy sucks and still insists on competing with you.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Much rather play with a high handicapper that's having fun, than a cheater that's pissin' and moanin' the whole time about his swing suckin....then miraculously breaks 90 with a 50+ on the front.....hmmmmm.

Sumo 5000 10.5 Aldila NV 65-X Driver
PC-III 4-SW irons
Custom Putter
Pro-V1 Balls

But High Handicappers do frustrate me.

Are you still a 25, or this an old handi.........

Irons: Taylormade Rac LT2 Wedges: Vokey SM 52 + 56 Putter: Some old piece of crap

I agree with most here, cheaters are lame. I have recently started to consciously work on my game and try to improve, it's a slow but rewarding road. At the end of the round when you played hard and post an 83 and one of your playing partners was hacking it all over the darn course and posts an 80 it is a little annoying . High handicappers don't bother (I'm no Tiger either) but when your sharing a cart and driving all over the course chauffeuring them around that can get a little distracting
Driver: Hibore XL Tour 9.5° Graman Limey
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB1 15°
Hybrid:
FT-hybrid 4H
Irons: RAC Tp combos 4-pw
Wedges:
RTG 53° & Dsg 58° Putter: CallieBall: ProV1x

Are you still a 25, or this an old handi.........

heh, Thanks for pointing that out, It's a typo-I'm a 15, I don't know if you still would qualify that as a high handicapper.

What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Most days I would rather play with a high handicapper - TO AN EXTENT.

Really, most cheaters are high-handicappers that fudge a lot of strokes.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Neither, really, unless it's a match or there's betting going on. Then, a cheater is a pain in the ass, but not otherwise. Go ahead, fluff up your ball. Drop one in the fairway if you're in the trees. No point in playing if you're going to be in the trees all day and you're not having fun. Match play and handicap rounds are another matter, but in just practice rounds or rounds played for fun, who really gives a rat's behind what happens?

I play with high handicappers all the time - nothing gives me more satisfaction than watching someone else hack. It's someone else in the bad lie, it's someone else who just had the bad shot, it's someone else... same reason why I watch the pros on TV. I don't watch them to make good shots. I want to see them hack and be brought down to earth just like the rest of us humans. As long as they keep pace, I don't care what their handicap is, though, be it +5 or 36.

Most annoying is the utter snob that acts like he owns the course, and looks on everyone else (read: double digit handicappers) with contempt. (If I were to profile them, I'd say walking, single digit handicapper, probably dresses like Payne Stewart.)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

heh, Thanks for pointing that out, It's a typo-I'm a 15, I don't know if you still would qualify that as a high handicapper.

LOL, Anytime........I thought maybe that's what you were when you signed up and never changed it.

I wouldn't qualify that as high since I'm in the same boat.

High handicappers should be encouraged to play alongside the better players who can give them some pointers, hell I am high handicapper but am more than willing to accept advise, I also can keep pace with the best of them.

Cheaters simply suck to be with, play with & to even simply know them is a drain on your life. One of my playing partners from work likes to invite his cousin to some of our afterwork outings & none of has any issues with that at all. But this guy really really sucks, if he ever shot a legitimate 70 for 9 holes I would be shocked. We will see hacking & hacking away way out in the weeds while a couple of us are on the green in 2-3 shots or at least close. This guy finally gets to the green & then 3 putts & somehow ends up with a 5 or 6????????????? And he does this on hole after hole, so now we pretty much ignore him & when he loses balls we dont help find them, we dont keep sight of his ball on his wicked hooked drives, etc. Basically we pretend like he is not there & eventually he wil tire of it & stop showing up.

Kinda funny to ask this because I played Sunday with someone I have only played with one other time. The first time we played was the middle of the day with about 10 guys for a pre-bachelor party so the beer was flowing and there wasn't a lot of score keeping.

Anyhow, we played a little more seriously recently and we came up on a par 3 that is 167 yards and your only option is to get it on the green or you are in the water. He ended up hitting 2 in the water. I was the only one in our 4 some to land on the green :). Dropped off the green in the rough, and then 2 putted, and then took a 4.......yep, a 4 on the hole.

Normally it doesn't bug me when people do that, but I had a 40 downhill put and ended up 3 putting for a legit bogey so we ended up getting the same score (by his counting) on that hole. Ticked me off a bit.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Note: This thread is 6047 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!