IGNORED

How Do You Keep Your Mind Off your Opponent?

Righty to Lefty
Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am due to go on vacation here in about 2 months from Afghanistan. Myself and about 7 other golf buddies are getting together in Kuwait for about 5 days of golf. I have a nemesis in the group, who has beaten me 4 times of the maybe 30+ times that we have played, however he is a master trash talker for sure. My question is for any of you who have a group of people that you compete against regularly and that is how do you keep yourself focused on what you are doing when you are playing with people like this and still manage to play your best golf? I don't just play absolutely horrible around him, but I seem to give away a few strokes every time that leave him with the feeling that we are on the same level when we clearly are not. What are some of you guys techniques for dealing with match pressure and overcoming nerves and jitters?

R to L

One of the best bits of advice I've been given to refocus when the chips are down is to pick out something, like a landmark or something and just stare at it. My course has a couple of windmills at the top of the hill... When I feel like I'm up against it, which I have been a few times, I just look at them whirling around, it calms me down and I can regroup and focus on my own game again.

Dabz

I think the key is that you are focusing on this guy and in the back of your mind your worried about slipping those shots here and there that will place you on par with a guy who you feel is not on your level and as a result your blocking your natural game.

The simple answer in my opinion is to leave your ego at home - play the course not your opponent. I know this can be a challange sometimes.

I play socially with a couple of guys from my work one of which likes to discount all his bad shots, if he takes 15 strokes on a hole he'll say he got a 7. When we tally up the scores he inevitably "beats" me and feels great about it, walking off the course with a huge grin. It used to really drive me crazy, I tried suggesting that his score was a bit inflated and he'd get really upset, in the end I just turn my ego off - he's a good mate of mine so I just let it go and focus on my own score - I play competition so I focus on the golf to improve my game and not worry about what others are doing.

Right on and thanks for all the replies thus far.  I have definitely got to work on just focusing on my game because that is my biggest fear, not playing my best, not losing to him.  I know that if I play to my potential that I'll win 99/100 times but I somehow take an big number at the worst possible time and instead of finishing him off, he gets a new life.  He the type of golfer that once you have him down he's not comin back, unless you let him back in it.  I can't wait til September to see if I can take this perspective to the course!

What helps me is focusing on my breathing. I have played with extremely good players and they don't even have to trash talk to make your nervous. Imagine playing a match play tourney with a guy that never misses a putt. :(

I just breath in and out and count the breaths and forget everything around me before I even begin my pre-shot routine. I guarantee when you do that the trash talking and the other guys "tiger like" shots wont bother you.

I, chdduncan, realize that I will be permanently banned if I violate the rules again in any way, including putting a link to a site in my signature like the one that a moderator removed and replaced with this message.

Originally Posted by wedgehammer40k

Sounds like an epic. Let us know how it goes down!

Oh it will be and I'll definitely post the scores and let you guys know how it went win, lose, draw !

Originally Posted by viper80

I hope you beat him!

Make it for $$$

There will be hundreds of dollars on it I'm sure and the side bets between the other golfer's will be flowing also !  Will definitely be a good time for sure.  We shall see if I can put together some good rounds of golf.

Note: This thread is 3912 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!