IGNORED

Which would you rather do first if you haven't done any.. Hole in one or shoot even par?

jaysquared
Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which would you rather do first if you haven't done any?

• Hole in one
    • Shoot even par

I have a lot golf buddies and seems like golfers in general who are so eager to get that ace. Don't get me wrong and 1 is nice to see in that score card but what's the point when you fail to break 100! I remember getting my first eagle how happy and excited I was to put that 3 on my scorecard but then I look at first hole(eagle was on the 2nd hole) and I saw my double bogey! So pretty much I started par par! Then my very next hole I get a triple! I would've rather had started par par par than getting that eagle! So which would you guys rather do first if you haven't already done it. Or if you have done it which would you have rather than first..

I agree that a round of even par would mean more to mean than a hole in one. Typically an ace is almost all luck whereas a round of even par is skill. I don't agree with the saying "better lucky than good".

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd be much happier with even par.  Hole in one is cool but it's just one excellent shot.  In a game that calls for consistency and control, I'd rather have 72 good shots over 1 incredible shot.

Either way I hope there would be plenty of witnesses to both events!

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I agree that a round of even par would mean more to mean than a hole in one. Typically an ace is almost all luck whereas a round of even par is skill. I don't agree with the saying "better lucky than good".

Yep.  I've actually done both so I guess I don't get to officially answer, but if the question were framed as which would you like to repeat, then I'd vote that I'd like to shoot even par or better 1000 more times in my life and could really not care less if I ever got another hole-in-one.  (Same thing goes for a double eagle.  It'd be nice, but I'd much rather become scratch, shoot even par, or better yet, shoot in the 60's than get really lucky one time)

EDIT:  The last "close call" I had was in the last TST outing.  It was an 8-iron that I pushed about 8 yards right of the green, and happened to hit the side of a slope that directed it right at the pin.  3 more full revolutions and I'd have had a hole in one.  It was a mediocre shot at best.  Pure luck, had it gone in.

----------------

Not exactly the same thing, but along the same lines ... ask any serious bowler if they'd rather have a 300 game or 800 series, and I bet you 10 times out of 10 they'd choose the 800 ... even though casual bowlers don't really even know what that is.  (It's easy to figure out, but it isn't automatically known like a 300 is)

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yep.  I've actually done both so I guess I don't get to officially answer, but if the question were framed as which would you like to repeat, then I'd vote that I'd like to shoot even par or better 1000 more times in my life and could really not care less if I ever got another hole-in-one.  (Same thing goes for a double eagle.  It'd be nice, but I'd much rather become scratch, shoot even par, or better yet, shoot in the 60's than get really lucky one time)

Not exactly the same thing, but along the same lines ... ask any serious bowler if they'd rather have a 300 game or 800 series, and I bet you 10 times out of 10 they'd choose the 800 ... even though casual bowlers don't really even know what that is.  (It's easy to figure out, but it isn't automatically known like a 300 is)

I've had 2 300's in my life and closest I got to an 800 was a 764.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I voted an Ace because it would be more memorable for me and I understand that shooting even par is going to require a lot of time and practice and effort. It doesn't just happen for average golfers.

So knowing that one takes a lot of work and one takes a lot of luck, I'll take the lucky and memorable shot vs a very good round of golf that would require me to dedicate more time than I have to accomplish it.

Off-topic and in regards to bowling, I've had multiple 290's and 279's. Highest series was a 777 (started 279, 279 and finished 219 because I was stupid and counting pins for my 242). I would definitely take a 300 in bowling as well considering how close I've come and gotten robbed by 10-pins. I averaged ~218 for nearly 11 years and never had either though. I do have a plethora of coasters, magnets, pins and key chains though!

Originally Posted by Spyder

I voted an Ace because it would be more memorable for me and I understand that shooting even par is going to require a lot of time and practice and effort. It doesn't just happen for average golfers.

So knowing that one takes a lot of work and one takes a lot of luck, I'll take the lucky and memorable shot vs a very good round of golf that would require me to dedicate more time than I have to accomplish it.

Off-topic and in regards to bowling, I've had multiple 290's and 279's. Highest series was a 777 (started 279, 279 and finished 219 because I was stupid and counting pins for my 242). I would definitely take a 300 in bowling as well considering how close I've come and gotten robbed by 10-pins. I averaged ~218 for nearly 11 years and never had either though. I do have a plethora of coasters, magnets, pins and key chains though!

It's funny if you think about it, I've seen 160 average bowlers roll a 300, and I've seen horrible golfers get an ace. At the same time I've seen really good bowlers never get a 300 and have heard of many really good golfers that have never had an ace. My average in bowling was 210+ for years before I quit also, but I had my 300's, 279's etc just never an 800. I just wish I could get at good at golf as I was at bowling and I'd be happy.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I've never had an Ace, but my buddy who's been playing for less than 3 years now, has had 2.  His first as a 31 hcp, and the 2d as a 24 hcp.  Dumb luck.

Since I've shot even but have never broken par, I'll say that I'd rather do that than get an Ace......

.......but boy howdy, I'd sure like to see that damn ball go in the hole on the first swing some day!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The only thing that could even out these eventual poll results is to qualify the ace as being on a sponsored hole (aka, winning a free car).

I played in a local high school fundraiser this Saturday and they were giving away a 2013 mercedes benz ($44k MSRP) for any ace.  The hole was playing 177 yards into the wind.  Never have I seen a prize that good for a scramble event I entered.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Shooting even par would be a long-term milestone, showing you finally had your game in pretty good shape.

As others have said, a hole-in-one has a luck element to it. I seen six aces in person, and two were by people who have little chance of ever breaking 100.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by bplewis24

The only thing that could even out these eventual poll results is to qualify the ace as being on a sponsored hole (aka, winning a free car).

I played in a local high school fundraiser this Saturday and they were giving away a 2013 mercedes benz ($44k MSRP) for any ace.  The hole was playing 177 yards into the wind.  Never have I seen a prize that good for a scramble event I entered.

Good luck with the taxes for whoever wins something like that.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Good luck with the taxes for whoever wins something like that.

Ah but you can get a loan for the taxes and use the car as collateral whereas a lot of people can't qualify for the actual car loan.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Well, it depends on how you look at the poll. I took it from the standpoint of "realism" in that shooting even par is not comparable to an ace. Shooting even par is going to be a reward of a lot of work and sound mechanics and a great amount of practice. Within reason, anyone that is capable of reaching the green on a/the par 3 in question would essentially have a chance at acing it. Taking that same field of golfers, not anyone has a chance at shooting even par unless they are playing to that skill level and are capable (again, within the limitations of skill) of doing it.

For me, there is no way in hell I am going to shoot a 72 at this stage in my game. That may be something that could be possible next year or the year after if I am able to put in enough constructive and proper practice and work. However, there is a possibility that I can record an ace the next time that I play. I guess that's how I looked at it.

In the end, a par round to me would just mean that I need to focus on shooting under par now. Then, can I beat my personal best scores and continue to trend under par and it goes on and on. It's more or less a gateway with additional goals beyond it. Whereas an ace is an ace. It's a single action with immediate reward. There's nothing else that it could lead into aside from acing a very short Par 4 which is just not worth discussing.

I have two aces, and I would like to think both were good shots. I have also broken par several times. So I guess if I had to choose, I would choose another ace since I've shot even par more than twice.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I have two aces, and I would like to think both were good shots. I have also broken par several times. So I guess if I had to choose, I would choose another ace since I've shot even par more than twice.

Showoff.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Spyder

Ha!  I stand corrected.  (Maybe 9 out of 10 then) ;)  But reading the rest of your posts I also realize that you are looking at it differently.  You recognize that a round of even par (or 800 series) is a lot less likely or "Realistic" than a hole in one or 300, so you're taking that into account.  I am not considering that.  Realistically, my chances of a hole in one or 300 are both 1000 times better than the other two, but that doesn't stop me from voting for both of the other two.  I'm saying "I'd rather have the even par round because it's harder to get AND because it means that I've progressed as a golfer enough to be that good."

P.S.  Two 279's for me, a 278, a 276, and a 736 series are all I got to show for my 4 years of bowling so far. ;)

My mom helps organize a charity scramble every September for a Central California Alzheimer's organization and for several years they offered a free car as a hole in one prize.  A couple of years ago (I missed the tournament that year) somebody actually made one, however, he was a pro and in the fine print from the insurance company it says pros aren't eligible so he didn't get the car.

The same tournament also has a raffle for one person to go out to the middle of the 18th fairway (160 yards I think) and hit one shot with everybody watching just before the tournament starts.  If that person sinks it, they win a million bucks.

for me it would be getting a ace on the last hole to finish at even par for my round !!!!!!! why can't I have my cake and eat it too?

Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!