IGNORED

Why aren't there any women playing on the men's tour?

Robster 7
Note: This thread is 3892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The accepted reason is power but there are lots of women who hit it just as far as some of the average PGA Tour players so I just don't understand why they can't compete. In a sport where it actually is possible for them to compete on a level playing field, unlike other more physical sports, I just don't understand why they don't?

Originally Posted by Robster 7

The accepted reason is power but there are lots of women who hit it just as far as some of the average PGA Tour players so I just don't understand why they can't compete. In a sport where it actually is possible for them to compete on a level playing field, unlike other more physical sports, I just don't understand why they don't?

Sorry, but that's not right.

They're just not long enough. Just looking at driving, the top 3 women on the LPGA would barely make it into the bottom 5 in driving average on the PGA tour. They're obviously proportionally shorter with the rest of their clubs too.

Contrary to popular belief, most aren't as solid in the short game either, but again, a lot of that comes from the same lack of speed that keeps them shorter with the full swing....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok but there are quite a few who average over 270yds, more than Mike Weir (Masters Winner) so what I'm basically saying is that they have the game in terms of distance so why doesn't it transfer? Are we saying they're simply not good enough?

And another question would be, if they can't hit it as far as men, why not? There are plenty of big women out there on the LPGA and anyway its not about brute force but about technique.

Eric has a good post about watching an LPGA event in person, and the differences in short game between the two tours. Basically, it said PGA players, for the most part, had a much greater variety of shots around the greens.

And another question would be, if they can't hit it as far as men, why not? There are plenty of big women out there on the LPGA and anyway its not about brute force but about technique.

Actually it is about brute force. Testosterone versus Estrogen is huge in the growth of muscle mass in males versus females. Study done showed that by the end of Puberty, males have on average twice as much muscle mass as woman. That is a big advantage. Not to mention, height as well.

Though with resistance training, women can close the gap, but overall men have a higher potential for muscle gains. Not to mention, men are just bigger than females overall. I also wonder about how the hips are designed, since there is a big difference there, that women have a disadvantage in the golf swing in how the hips work, not sure.

But, its not technique, women are getting the same treatment as men. There are woman golfers being taught by the same people who teach male golfers.

But purely its genetics.

Look at Anika, she lifted weights for years, got into the best shape of her life, and she was still hitting it as far as the lower end of the distance spectrum for male golfers. There's just that genetic gap that adds that extra distance. That would be huge in an LPGA event. If the bottom end of the distance spectrum for a PGA golfer is the top end of the LPGA, that is a big time advantage.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Clubhead speed.

/thread (j/k)

I have more clubhead speed than most LPGA players, yet mine pales in comparison to most PGA guys. Imagine an LPGA player playing a 630 yard par 5. That might be Ugly....driver, 3-wood, hybrid just to try and hit a GIR. Not a very high percentage hole there...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

This is, to be blunt, a stupid question.

If you think there is no physical difference between men and women, you are sadly mistaken.  Look as Saevel25's posts and you'll get your answer.

Why do you think men and women don't compete against one another in swimming, basketball or tennis for that matter?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

The very best women of today, with extensive physical training and practice, using today's most advanced training methods, may be able to compete with the pro men of a few decades ago (and today's typical male golfer).  But not the men pros.  The men of today also have those same training advantages and the physical advantage.

Maybe if the courses were all executive length.

Bill - 

What keeps them back? Lack of a short game in quality and variety, and putting. Power.

IMHO, a woman with a high quality short game who makes putts could make the cut on some courses - those that are not long and do require accuracy. But that's a handful of times on the PGA Tour.

I think Anika missed the cut by a stroke at Colonial -- she did not make enough putts. I can't remember if she was close enough on approaches to give her a chance at a lot of birds, but I do remember her missing putts that would have had her playing on the weekend.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Don't feed the trolls.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The first thing that I thought about was a potential disparity in carry distance. It seems like in most of the LPGA events that I've watched, the players may get 260-270 out of a drive, but with a fairly significant amount of roll. This would make sense; they have lower swing speeds resulting in 1) less spin and therefore 2) a much shallower angle of descent. After a quick google search, I came across these tables, which I thought were pretty interesting. They were put together using Trackman data for LPGA and PGA tour players.

And for comparison:

The most striking difference to me is the average carry distance. 220 yards vs. 269. 220 won't get you to some fairways on PGA tour courses.

• Upvote 2

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

they are not strong enough, mentally and physically.

I agree with the physical part, but I think some of the LPGA players over the years had/have the mental game to play with the boys.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

playing with the boys is one thing, but making the cut is another.

Yeah, but it isn't the mental game that's holding them back in that case. If anything, I've seen a lot more mental collapses on the PGA tour than LPGA. Although Kim may take the cake with that 1 footer...

Ryan M

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Yeah Im not sure she's fully recovered from that either.

Would you be?

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!