IGNORED

Why aren't there any women playing on the men's tour?

Robster 7
Note: This thread is 3919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

We don't disagree.  You're saying that the same person, given the same level of skill, coordination, etc, will perform better if given proportionately more athleticism or increasing their level of fitness.  I completely agree.  In other words, take Jim Furyk, and assume that, ceteris paribus, you magically grant him a slight measure of more strength and speed, his game would benefit as a result.  Also, take a guy like Stadler, assume his same level of skill, and drop 20 lbs of fat without dropping his muscle/strength level, and his game would improve.

There is a school of thinkers that believes increasing strength/fitness levels in a sport like golf can have detrimental effects on their games, but I mostly disagree with those folks unless we are assuming a big change in body proportions, flexibility and muscle endurance.  I remember at one time (and even as recently as the past 12 months), some golf analysts were speculating that part of what went wrong with Tiger's game is that he became too muscular, which I think is bull.

I agree that that is a very old school line of thinking. Hell, they used to tell Gary Player that he was insane for lifting weights and that it would ruin his game. The newer generation of golfers is proving that being muscular and fit is a good thing for your golf game.

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

i think stamina benefits more than strength in golf.  yeah it helps to have strength, but you need to be able to keep with it for 18 holes.

Stamina won't help a weak person much. Being consistently weak isn't a recipe for success.

Also, I extol the benefits of proper capitalization.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i think stamina benefits more than strength in golf.  yeah it helps to have strength, but you need to be able to keep with it for 18 holes.

Typically people who weight train have better stamina than people who don't. I have no issues playing 36 holes in a day.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Typically people who weight train have better stamina than people who don't. I have no issues playing 36 holes in a day.

I agree, though there is a difference between basically hiking than there is in weight lifting. I work out in the winter, and it takes me a few rounds to get back into golfing shape for walking endurance.

The biggest problem i see, like in basketball, is when a person looses there legs. Its the first to go in golf, especially if you walk. your stance, your basically in a small squat. Then after walking, it gets harder to use your legs right in the golf swing.

If someone wants to get into shape for golf, get on the tredmill, pick up two ten lb weights, and set the incline to 6 or above and just walk. Sometimes i will do this and do lunges as well, lower my self down, push off. Really slow speed, but its a leg destroyer on the tredmill with an incline.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460CompMark View Post

the legs are important, and if they get fatigued, can really affect shot making

And, I like to correct that statement to "72 holes"

If I were to compare the activity of golf to any real sport, maybe Biathalon (with a MUCH reduced stamina requirement).  Trudge along, and then get composed and do something really precise.

One thing is interesting in the comments:  I read statements that read like "not fitness, but coordination"  "not fitness, but stamina".  I wouldn't confuse fitness with just muscle.  Fitness is everything (strength, flexibility, coordination, stamina, etc).  I'd say "health" also requires an additional aspect related to nutrition, also resistance to sickness.  And fitness improves all that.

Work the legs, absolutely, but I'm a firm believer that more muscle also gives improvement in fine motor control as well as strength, as well as resistance to injury (how many players are 'playing hurt' right now?)

Quote:
From Slice - I have no issues playing 36 holes in a day.

I lift, and me too.  Though I get a bit weary replacing my beer in the Power Cart's cupholder every couple holes by the time I'm on the last nine.

Bill - 

I also believe that back muscle strength and endurance is important.  All of the swinging and possibly even carrying a bag while walking can take a toll on your back.  Obviously the core abdominals contribute as well.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

are y'all talking about 36 holes walking, or 36 holes riding in a cart?

Either. I've gone to the gym, walked 18 and then played tennis for 3 hours in the same day. Doesn't bother me any.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I also believe that back muscle strength and endurance is important.  All of the swinging and possibly even carrying a bag while walking can take a toll on your back.  Obviously the core abdominals contribute as well.

Absolutely. I have recently started devoting more time to my core when I work out because of this.

are y'all talking about 36 holes walking, or 36 holes riding in a cart?

I've walked 36 holes in a day carrying my bag many times. But that's probably the reason I can do it. To get ready for tournaments, I would walk at least 36 holes a day. That way, when my competitors were sucking wind on the 13th tee box, I was just getting into my groove.

Tyler Martin

Either. I've gone to the gym, walked 18 and then played tennis for 3 hours in the same day. Doesn't bother me any.

Pfft, I do that all the time.   At least 3 times a week.

Then the cocaine wears off and I sleep like a baby for 12 hours.

but it's so much easier to drink my beer when i have a cup holder.

This is true. Then again, I play golf to play golf, and leave the happy hour for afterwards.

Tyler Martin

i used to play competitive golf and never drank beer while playing.  but now i don't play competitive anymore.  plus, 4-5 hours is already a long enough span away from the family.  i don't do 19th holes anymore.

That's because you're 28 FREAKING YEARS OLD!

I'd like to say that I remember those days, but I'm not sure that my memory's that good!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!