IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

c'mon Tigs!!!!  im really starting to stress for Tiger and him getting some more majors...its killing me to see him so close and yet not cashing in...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm staying in Brockport. There's this bar with a nice craft beer selection I was going to hit up - The Stoneyard I believe. Any experiences there? [quote name="tefunk" url="/t/68920/2013-pga-championship-at-oak-hill-discussion-thread#post_877183"]I'm surprised guys seem to care so much about fashion these days (and I'm 35, so not some grumpy old guy)... To the point where golf magazine needs to have a section on fashion. Man, oh man. Btw... For anyone who is not very familiar with Rochester but will be in town for the tourney, I'd be happy to share some suggestions (restaurants, golf, etc).[/quote]

Brockport is more of a college town, so I imagine it won't be too exciting this time of year. I have. Beento that place, chill and right on the canal (but years ago, and the beer selection wasn't as nice as it looks now... Could have had a different name at the time). If you're into beer, my suggestion would be The Old Toad in the East/Alexander area of Rochester. Its probably 20-30mins from Brockport. Now that I'm living out in SLC, I'd kill for a pub liike that (or Stoneyard even).

Nice. Thanks for the info. The Stoneyard serves Great Lakes, and I'm dying to try the Edmond Fitzgerald. Great Lakes doesn't distribute to Albany, which sucks bc I've heard nothing but great things about their beer. [quote name="tefunk" url="/t/68920/2013-pga-championship-at-oak-hill-discussion-thread#post_877333"]Brockport is more of a college town, so I imagine it won't be too exciting this time of year. I have. Beento that place, chill and right on the canal (but years ago, and the beer selection wasn't as nice as it looks now... Could have had a different name at the time). If you're into beer, my suggestion would be The Old Toad in the East/Alexander area of Rochester. Its probably 20-30mins from Brockport. Now that I'm living out in SLC, I'd kill for a pub liike that (or Stoneyard even).[/quote]

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

Nice. Thanks for the info. The Stoneyard serves Great Lakes, and I'm dying to try the Edmond Fitzgerald. Great Lakes doesn't distribute to Albany, which sucks bc I've heard nothing but great things about their beer.

Dortmunder is king.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Eliot Ness is my fav from Great Lakes. All time fav is Phin & Matts Extraordinary Ale from Southern Tier. Try it while in town if you haven't already (you can pick it up at Wegmans)

Any suggestions on good viewing spots? I will be there on Thursday. I'm sure we will start at 1, but need some other spots. Not really interested in following people. What are the exciting holes with good viewing? Thanks.

If there's one club in Tiger's bag that has a mind of its own it would be his driver. I wonder if he has ever worked on a stinger with his driver - his 2 iron stinger goes 240 yards so who knows how far his driver stinger would bring...

If the rough at Oak Hill is high like it was in '03, Tiger could have a tough time on that course. It's a course where you really have to hit your driver a lot unless you want to be hitting woods and long irons into greens. Looking at the majors this year, I thought Oak HIll was the course Tiger was least likely to win on. We'll see. I think the way he's playing right now he will at least be a contender....just not sure a winner.

Originally Posted by dtc48

Any suggestions on good viewing spots? I will be there on Thursday. I'm sure we will start at 1, but need some other spots. Not really interested in following people. What are the exciting holes with good viewing? Thanks.

There are several good spots.  What I usually do is find a couple greens and tees that are in a general area so I can take short walks between the few, depending on who is making their way through those holes.

Originally Posted by dtc48

The website says you should only park at Monroe CC if you are from one of the local zip codes. Anyone know if thy enforce that?

The course is pretty much surrounded by residential neighborhoods (also small parts back up to Monroe Ave, and Irondequoit CC... but you won't be able to get on from there), so there really isn't any better option than to park at MCC and take the shuttle in.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by ChrisP

If the rough at Oak Hill is high like it was in '03, Tiger could have a tough time on that course. It's a course where you really have to hit your driver a lot unless you want to be hitting woods and long irons into greens. Looking at the majors this year, I thought Oak HIll was the course Tiger was least likely to win on. We'll see. I think the way he's playing right now he will at least be a contender....just not sure a winner.

The rough is pretty bad at Firestone this week, isn't it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff

If there's one club in Tiger's bag that has a mind of its own it would be his driver. I wonder if he has ever worked on a stinger with his driver - his 2 iron stinger goes 240 yards so who knows how far his driver stinger would bring...

History shows he (tiger) does not  play well at this course, (39th place, last time he played it) I am expecting him to be around 6-10th place, if he plays well. I think he will make the cut no problem. But the demons in his head may get restless again, since this is major.The Firestone course with perfectly flat lies, and one thin row of trees lining each fairway is NOT to be compared to Oak Hill.

Originally Posted by Spitfisher

History shows he (tiger) does not  play well at this course, (39th place, last time he played it) I am expecting him to be around 6-10th place, if he plays well. I think he will make the cut no problem. But the demons in his head may get restless again, since this is major.The Firestone course with perfectly flat lies, and one thin row of trees lining each fairway is NOT to be compared to Oak Hill.

And what is the sample size for this 'history'...? The 2003 PGA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfisher View Post

read the post, I was quite clear.

Okay...

Quote:

Glad you believe that is clear. IIRC, the only time Tiger has played Oak Hill was the 2003 PGA. If there were other tournaments, please, ahem, 'clarify.'

So my point is, it is difficult to conclude he will play poorly cuz he did so one time, ten years ago. If it's your other points to conclude this (demons in his head, Oak Hill isn't Firestone), then okay. I don't necessarily agree with those points either. But my main questioning of your assessment is this assertion that he doesn't play Oak Hill well based on one tournament a decade ago.

I wouldn't say a top ten finish is playing poorly. I think ( believe ) the demons in his head, undulating greens, the fact he doesn't hit his driver that much, The fact he hits shots more with a fade now and lastly I believe he does think about when will he win a major more and more now. Especially now standing over putts in a major.

I've never heard anyone mention the condition of green, lack of thatch etc after a recognizance practice round, only to be followed up by some others that said a little slow but otherwise perfect condition. ( morning drive, Faldo, stricker, etc)

His own worst enemy is in between the ears and I think it gets a little louder come major time. and yes he might be remembering those 2003 rounds and his own descriptions of the course that followed.

Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!