IGNORED

Questions about my calaway forged wedge.

Note: This thread is 3911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently purchased my first forged wedge. It is a calaway forged 60 degree wedge with 9 degrees bounce. I have been playing an old set of Watson wedges for probably about 5 years. It was one of those set of 3 wedges for about 50 bucks. I bought the forged wedge based on sale price and reviews. I was hitting my Watson wedges ok I just thought I needed something with a little newer technology. This is my forged club of any kind and have a few questions. This club feels hard as a rock. Is this normal for a forged club. My old wedge seemed a lot softer. Now let me say distance is better and club produces more spin but hard for me to get used to the hard feel. I blade new wedge more than my old. Old wedge has 7 degree bounce verses 9 on the new one. Is that enough to cause me to blade more often. Any have opinions on this?

Forged doesnt always mean softer.  Softness is more in the metal that is used and somewhat in the specifics of the forging process.  Depending upon what temperature you forge the metal at, it can effect how soft or hard the metal is.

For the rest of it, 2 degrees of bounce shouldnt be enough to make you blade it all the time.  It could be that the weighting is different and that is throwing you off somehow.  You may just need to give it a little while for you to get used to

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by tigerfan44

I recently purchased my first forged wedge. It is a calaway forged 60 degree wedge with 9 degrees bounce. I have been playing an old set of Watson wedges for probably about 5 years. It was one of those set of 3 wedges for about 50 bucks. I bought the forged wedge based on sale price and reviews. I was hitting my Watson wedges ok I just thought I needed something with a little newer technology. This is my forged club of any kind and have a few questions. This club feels hard as a rock. Is this normal for a forged club. My old wedge seemed a lot softer. Now let me say distance is better and club produces more spin but hard for me to get used to the hard feel. I blade new wedge more than my old. Old wedge has 7 degree bounce verses 9 on the new one. Is that enough to cause me to blade more often. Any have opinions on this?

It's an absolute misconception that the manufacturing process of forging somehow magically results in a softer feel than the process of casting.  They're just two different ways to produce a clubhead...... I've played cast clubs that felt significantly softer than forged, and vice versa.  As always, the best option is to try before you buy whenever possible.

No, the 2* difference in bounce should not cause you to blade the new wedge more than the old.  Was the old wedge 60* as well?  A 60* wedge is a relatively difficult club for many people to hit consistently.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes old club was 60 degree also. I actually hit it pretty clean. I appreciate the comments. I guess I had the misconception that forged =softer. I do like the more spin but still trying to get used to the feel.

Check your shaft. A stiff shaft can make the club feel hard

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The hard feel may relate to the shaft in the new wedge. The stock shaft for the Callaway Forged is Dynamic Gold S300, which weight 125 grams.

Contact Adams about your earlier model, and see what weight the shaft is. (Adams has a Watson Anniversary wedge model with an Apollo stepped steel wedgeflex shaft, which weights 125 grams - same as DG S300).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

What has made you think that the "forged" part of your club is relevant to your problem? Where did you get this idea? It has as much relevance as the color of the grip.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What has made you think that the "forged" part of your club is relevant to your problem? Where did you get this idea? It has as much relevance as the color of the grip.

Just stupid I guess.

I would think the answer lies in the shaft i.e. flex & weight. And Shorty you are to TST as St. Andrews is to North American golfers - you don't like her at first, you give her your best shot and she will humble you - but you come to respect her because of her way. So I say a day without Shorty is like a day without sunshine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

What has made you think that the "forged" part of your club is relevant to your problem?

Where did you get this idea?

It has as much relevance as the color of the grip.

Just stupid I guess.

Not stupid at all.

But this issue is a prime example of what is wrong with the internet - and I know it can't be changed.

What are essentially urban myths get spread about and they become "fact" Like VItamin C and colds. It's simply not true.

My issue is that the game is hard enough without newcomers to the game having their heads filled with crap like forged "feel" and SC putters being the "best".

Not stupid at all. But this issue is a prime example of what is wrong with the internet - and I know it can't be changed. What are essentially urban myths get spread about and they become "fact" Like VItamin C and colds. It's simply not true.  My issue is that the game is hard enough without newcomers to the game having their heads filled with crap like forged "feel" and SC putters being the "best".

Hey, hey, hey.....MY Scotty Cameron is forged ! You just can't beat that! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Hey, hey, hey.....MY Scotty Cameron is forged! You just can't beat that!

You sure it isn't miled from a billet of GSS?

You know that German stainless has amazing feel.

So much better than British, American or Australian steel.

Originally Posted by Shorty

You sure it isn't miled from a billet of GSS?

You know that German stainless has amazing feel.

So much better than British, American or Australian steel.

I think your point is ... it's stainless. Of course, steel from Solingen has somewhat mystical qualities, like forgings from Japan and samurai swords.

I think the Germans put it through a double baked process - which is why Bettinardi calls it DASS (double aged stainless steel), I guess, because it's not German Stainless.

I tried DASS and German Stainless ... it didn't make more putts for me (where is the magic??)

Now back to the subject, oh, yeah, Callaway Forgings - they use 1020 - but I think it they feel hard, it's the shaft or the install. I had some Mizunos in S300 and disliked the feel immensely.

I have Edels (cast) in KBS High Rev R Flex - and the feel is very good. Try a different shaft.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I appreciate all the comments. This has definitely been educational. I am going to use it for a month or so and see if I get used to the hard feel. If I have good results with hard feel I will just have to get used to the hard feel.

Note: This thread is 3911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!