IGNORED

MASHED POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!

MissouriHack
Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. The men and women displaying obnoxious behavior at an PGA event should be

• Be kicked out of the event
    • Be left alone
    • Be kick out and black listed from attending future events
    • Be forced to have a person follow them around their next round of golf screaming a the top of there lungs when they swing

These idiots that yell are probably so pleased with their accomplishments of getting their voice heard by millions of TV viewers. They probably get on their phone ant text their friends, "hey did you hear me? I was the one who yelled 'Swedish Fish'!" The audio techs should just immediately mute sound after each tee shot, announcers pause for a few seconds before they give their commentary of the shot and audio back on.... Or...just throw the jerks the hell out.
  • Upvote 1

IMO, it's all about 'social media' and upwards of US$5Million for winning a PGA event. Back a few ago, no  big jerky media and no big ass paydays. Just golf. And folks interested enough to go watch Ben Hogan fight it out with Sam Snead for US$30K.

Originally Posted by Pretzel

I wish they would use their shot tracker, or whatever they call it, that highlights the line the golf ball took much more often than they do.

that is a fantastic graphic!!

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like how Augusta handles it, your pass it taken and your off the course.

Unless your at TPC scotsdale, were your surrounded by stands like a football arena, stop saying stupid shit

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

the new one I heard was ... SASQUATCH.    These guys are grasping at straws ... inthehole was funny when were driving on a par 5, the rest of it lacks character

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I noticed a couple of very close calls where I feel like spectators were shouting right at impact.  I think the announcers did the right thing most of the time by not even acknowledging or commenting on the people yelling.  The last thing we'd want is a "mashed potatoes" guy on the Top 10 on Sportscenter or being acknowledged on TGC.  That would fuel the fire.

Throwing these shouters out would create a very slippery slope if not a "PR nightmare."  The headlines would read "PGA to tighten rules on cheering" or "PGA strikes down crowd enthusiasm" and would contradict their efforts to bring in new golfers with their "learn golf" "tee it forward" and "just play 9" commercials.

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

These idiots that yell are probably so pleased with their accomplishments of getting their voice heard by millions of TV viewers. They probably get on their phone ant text their friends, "hey did you hear me? I was the one who yelled 'Swedish Fish'!" The audio techs should just immediately mute sound after each tee shot, announcers pause for a few seconds before they give their commentary of the shot and audio back on.... Or...just throw the jerks the hell out.

That's a great idea.  Take away the stage.

But of course the the greens are uncensored because nothing is more awesome than a giant crowd cheering a 15 foot snake into the hole!

It usually never really bothered me because these guys are professionals.  But yesterday, on one occasion in particular, it swayed my opinion the other way.  It was when Furyk was teeing off and someone yelled as soon (if not before) he made impact.  Furyk flinched and turned around to figure out WTF happen.  The flinch looked like the natural reaction you make when you have no idea what is going on and you momentarily fear for your safety.  Cheer and yelling for your favorite golfers is one thing. But if you are making these professional golfers flinch like that you are stepping over the line.

I really hated when the dude kept yelling "Bababooey".  It pissed me off real hard.  I mean, yeah it was really funny the first couple of times, and it was getting me really pumped up, but after like four or five times it really got me mad and I had to start hitting my push mower with an old lawn dart that was in the garage.  I think it would really teach the guy a lesson if they brought him/her out on the tee and made them kneel down execution style and put a shot gun to the back of there head and just blew their head completely off, metaphorically speaking.  I bet that would really cut down on it for the next event.

But I still really like "Chewbacka", at least that is always hilarious every time and will never get old.  So maybe they should make a list of really good ones and let one guy shout it after every tee shot.  Maybe if there are no spectator they can just use a recording.  I think that would really bring in the youth crowd and maybe some entire youth ministries.

Originally Posted by Gilberg

I really hated when the dude kept yelling "Bababooey".  It pissed me off real hard.  I mean, yeah it was really funny the first couple of times, and it was getting me really pumped up, but after like four or five times it really got me mad and I had to start hitting my push mower with an old lawn dart that was in the garage.  I think it would really teach the guy a lesson if they brought him/her out on the tee and made them kneel down execution style and put a shot gun to the back of there head and just blew their head completely off, metaphorically speaking.  I bet that would really cut down on it for the next event.

But I still really like "Chewbacka", at least that is always hilarious every time and will never get old.  So maybe they should make a list of really good ones and let one guy shout it after every tee shot.  Maybe if there are no spectator they can just use a recording.  I think that would really bring in the youth crowd and maybe some entire youth ministries.

LOL

Originally Posted by MissouriHack

Is it just me or do the guys yelling at the Tee boxes during the PGA events bug the @#$! out of anyone else? Can the PGA do anything about this? Should they do something about this?

The PGA Tour should do exactly what our poll suggests, kick them out. If you bother people on a ski slope they pull your ticket for the day. The same should apply to PGA Tour events. Start warning them, and if that isn't a strong enough message then simply start kicking them out and the behavior will change fairly quickly.

Originally Posted by TJBam

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/blog-furyk-fans-480.gif

That's the one!!!  Thanks for sharing...that is similar to the look I give when I hear a "FORE" while playing on a crowded course.

Originally Posted by dbuck

Seems like "you da man" is thankfully not quite as popular as it once was. It would be nice if these idiots seeking their 15 minutes would realize how stupid they sound and just stop, especially with the non-specific, non-golf comments. On the other hand, some have become acceptable, like LUUKE and BOOO when appropriate. Of course the 16th at Waste Management has become a tradition of sorts, and even a lot of the players seem to embrace it. As for kicking them out, as long as they don't interfere with play, I guess let them stay. I think that would be a can of worms full of potential unintended consequences such as the behavior police becoming overly intrusive.

It is easy to to determine what is acceptable and what is not. If the comment is made loudly enough so that a reasonable person believes it is meant to draw attention to one's self, then it is unacceptable as it detracts from the game. A judgment call to be sure, but a standard that can be enforced.

I have no problem with anyone who is "blending in" with their enthusiasm. It is the obnoxious person that forces one to turn in their direction that needs to be shown the door.

Remember when streaking was the craze? Dumbasses would run onto baseball fields naked, or drunk fans would try to cause a scene by running onto a football field or whatever. The TV networks covering the events made a decision to not show these morons. Guess what happened - it stopped occurring.

Networks can 'mute' the audio the moment after impact so these jackbag's comment aren't heard on TV.

Take away the stage, the actor disappears.

This is the correct solution.

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

I do have a small confession... The first time I saw my instructor hit one off a tee I couldn't help saying 'Holy shit!!!!"  But in my defense, it was something like my third lesson ever and I had never watched or played much golf so to see a big drive in person was really surprising.

Now that I've played a few rounds and have seen more big drives (from other people), I'm not as surprised as I was... I'm still very impressed but I can refrain from saying anything other than "great shot."

(I also voted to kick them out of the event.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Originally Posted by krupa

I do have a small confession... The first time I saw my instructor hit one off a tee I couldn't help saying 'Holy shit!!!!"  But in my defense, it was something like my third lesson ever and I had never watched or played much golf so to see a big drive in person was really surprising.

Now that I've played a few rounds and have seen more big drives (from other people), I'm not as surprised as I was... I'm still very impressed but I can refrain from saying anything other than "great shot."

(I also voted to kick them out of the event.)

Understood. You were awed by the instructor's skill at hitting a ball.

These jerks aren't in awe. They're just jerks.

It got real bad at the PGA. IIRC, Gary McCord went on a rant after one such incident, commenting that they're getting more brazen, some yelling it out before impact. It is going to cost a player a win soon if they don't get a handle on it. Just start tossing them out of the event - that will get the message across.

Originally Posted by Shorty

It's getting to the point where, like women's tennis, because of the grunting, you just can't watch it.

It was driving me nuts today, all these morons thinking it's about them

I agree 100%.  This isn't about supporting a favorite player or being enthusiastic about the sport or a particular shot - it's purely a juvenile attention-seeking action.

I don't condone violence, but it would be funny if there were a few roving officials in the crowds who administered a taser to the assclowns yelling "Mashed Potatoes" and "Baba Booey!"  50,000 volts could inspire some better manners.

I understand that removal from the grounds and banishment from further Masters has done a nice job for Augusta National - the PGA and USGA should adopt that policy.  There's no constitutionally protected free speech involved with shouting stupid nonsense - it has to have some sort of content.  At a bare minimum, there should be a 5-second delay on the broadcasts and the shouting should be muted out.  That would take care of most of the idiots, who would stop doing it once they realized it won't get them the attention they seek.

The WTA (and subsequently the ATP with male grunters) should have stepped in immediately with Monica Seles and her ilk years ago.  It's still not too late to change and start applying the hindrance rule.  These players aren't making more than a soft exhalation when they practice, so they're are clearly doing it purely as gamesmanship in a match.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Note: This thread is 3901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!