Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RetroJFrancisco

Interesting matchup.. Nervous.

24 posts in this topic

Tommorow I take on my best friend in the club championships semi finals, I have played at many much bigger events, and this is by FAR the most nervous i've ever been about a match..

He's an 18 year old 2 capper, the thing is.. I dont know how to approach this, do I speak to him as normal? Or put my usual game face on (which could prove very weird and end up with us not being friends, which is my main worry)

To be honest guys I am really not looking forward to this one, what would you guys do if you were playing your best buddy?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by RetroJFrancisco

Tommorow I take on my best friend in the club championships semi finals, I have played at many much bigger events, and this is by FAR the most nervous i've ever been about a match..

He's an 18 year old 2 capper, the thing is.. I dont know how to approach this, do I speak to him as normal? Or put my usual game face on (which could prove very weird and end up with us not being friends, which is my main worry)

To be honest guys I am really not looking forward to this one, what would you guys do if you were playing your best buddy?

Do what I always do, talk smack, root for him to play well and try to kick his ass.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you're over thinking things.. If you end up not becoming friends because of golf then ya'll were never that good of friends to begin with.. Just take it as a normal round of golf with your buddy.. It sounds like you really dont talk much during the round when its competition.. I would do the talking before hand and just do your thing after you tee off...

Originally Posted by meenman

Do what I always do, talk smack, root for him to play well and try to kick his ass.

Bingo!

It should be extremely easy to play well and stay relaxed because you're playing against somebody you always play with!

Good luck!

Originally Posted by jaysquared

I think you're over thinking things.. If you end up not becoming friends because of golf then ya'll were never that good of friends to begin with.. Just take it as a normal round of golf with your buddy.. It sounds like you really dont talk much during the round when its competition.. I would do the talking before hand and just do your thing after you tee off...

Yeah, you're right, I just have horrible visions of us arguing over a ruling or something.. Im sure all will be well and im just stressing for no reason!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Bingo!

It should be extremely easy to play well and stay relaxed because you're playing against somebody you always play with!

Good luck!

Thanks man, i'm just hoping it wont be too awkward, hopefully you are right :)

Originally Posted by meenman

I don't think you can say it any better than that.

Give him a big SMILE whenever he makes a bad shot.

I was in the club championship with my best friend, all we did was play a round like we were out there for fun. Made it a real relaxing day, and we both shot some incredibly low scores. I took him by 2 strokes shooting a 73 when he shot a 75. We both congratulated each other on a great round, and still work on each others games keeping us both as competitive as possible.

Cheers men, everything went according to plan-ish, he went 1 up through 11 and gave it a bit of the old fist pump (bad move) I quickly turned up the heat and won 2&1, we had a beer in the bar afterwards and aside from a few awkward moments it was fine. :)

Congrats on the win.  Nothing better than beating a buddy......and a real buddy feels the same about beating you!

Cheers men, everything went according to plan-ish, he went 1 up through 11 and gave it a bit of the old fist pump (bad move) I quickly turned up the heat and won 2&1, we had a beer in the bar afterwards and aside from a few awkward moments it was fine. :)

Well, if that was the semi's, what about the finals? Have you played yet?

How can there be anything to think about if its one of your best buddies.

There should be zero awkwardness or anything like this.

Finals[quote name="geauxforbroke" url="/t/69118/interesting-matchup-nervous#post_883431"] Well, if that was the semi's, what about the finals? Have you played yet? [/quote] finals on the 26th man, trying to do the double, never been won 2 years in a row before so really bloody nervous!!

How can there be anything to think about if its one of your best buddies. There should be zero awkwardness or anything like this.

Hard to explain dude, we are both budding golfers both pushing for an international place, it was more than just a knock with my mate, it was sort of a battle for who holds precedence in the club if you get me..

Finals

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Well, if that was the semi's, what about the finals? Have you played yet?

finals on the 26th man, trying to do the double, never been won 2 years in a row before so really bloody nervous!!

Best of luck. Keep us updated!

Thanks [quote name="geauxforbroke" url="/t/69118/interesting-matchup-nervous#post_883589"] Best of luck. Keep us updated! [/quote] thanks dude :) will do!