IGNORED

Who is a Bogey Golfer?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. According to the USGA "Bogey Rating" what scores do you THINK you need to shoot to be a Bogey Golfer on a par 72 course with a course rating of 72.0 and slope of 113?

• 90 gross average
    • 90 Equitable Stroke Control Average
    • 90 Equitable Stroke Control Average on your 10 best out of 20 rounds
    • 90 (for a man) & 92.1 (for a woman) Equitable Stroke Control Average on your 10 best out of 20 rounds
    • 93 (for a man) & 98.7 (for a woman) Equitable Stroke Control Average on your 10 best out of 20 rounds
    • I don't THINK

-   I am not a bogey golfer.

-    According to the USGA, a male " bogey golfer" is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 20 on a course of standard    difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level. A female bogey golfer is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 24 on a course of standard difficulty. She can hit tee shots an average of 150 yards and reach a 280-yard hole in two shots.

Your example of 93 for men and 98.7 for women comes closest to that, but since course handicaps are rounded, there's really a bit of a range involved that would qualify.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

-    According to the USGA, a male "bogey golfer" is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 20 on a course of standard    difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level. A female bogey golfer is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 24 on a course of standard difficulty. She can hit tee shots an average of 150 yards and reach a 280-yard hole in two shots.

Exactly...care to guess what scores that translates to?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by MEfree

Exactly...care to guess what scores that translates to?

I editted my response.  No guessing required.  Easy math.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Rules are old hat now so we're gonna seek to modify the handicap system?
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I answered the 93 since that's what I average lately. If my putting and chipping were more consistent I should be able to lower by more than 4 or 5 strokes. The courses I play are only 71/122 to 69/119. There is a 64.5 I sometimes play and I break 90 there often. In after thought, my answer should have been breaking 90 or a 14-18 handicap to be considered bogey.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by iacas

I think it has become obvious that he is just a troll.  And we all buy into it.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I disagree. Just because his opinions differ from yours doesn't make him a troll. I will happily apologize if proven wrong.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

He isn't trolling.  He is self confessed ACD and everything has to be black and white, no shades of gray.  My only issue with some MEFree's questions is that for most of us, there is no gray.  He seems to be the only one who sees it.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Nope, just found it interesting what they consider to be a bogey golfer- a touch more lenient in terms of score than I might have thought intuitively but that probably helps to make it closer to an average golfer, which is probably a good thing.

With that said, I do hope you explain how they "calculate" the 5.381 number in my slope thread.  To me that just looks like a multiplier they picked to get to 113.  Had they wanted to get to 100, they would have picked 4.762 instead.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

He isn't trolling.  He is self confessed ACD and everything has to be black and white, no shades of gray.  My only issue with some MEFree's questions is that for most of us, there is no gray.  He seems to be the only one who sees it.

when did I confess to ACD?

Originally Posted by David in FL

-    According to the USGA, a male "bogey golfer" is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 20 on a course of standard    difficulty. He can hit tee shots an average of 200 yards and reach a 370-yard hole in two shots at sea level. A female bogey golfer is a player who has a Course Handicap of approximately 24 on a course of standard difficulty. She can hit tee shots an average of 150 yards and reach a 280-yard hole in two shots.

Your example of 93 for men and 98.7 for women comes closest to that, but since course handicaps are rounded, there's really a bit of a range involved that would qualify.

Yes, there is a range that they consider to be a "bogey" golfer, at least according to http://www.usga.org/handicapping/course_ratings/articles/articles/A-Rating-More-On-Course/

Now envision a male bogey golfer attacking the same hole. That person is defined in the USGA handicap system manual as a man having a handicap index of 17.5 to 22.4 (about a 20 average), hitting an average drive of 200 yards and able to reach a 370-yard hole in two shots. The bogey woman has an index of 21.5 to 26.4, hits a 150-yard drive and reaches a 280-yard hole in two. The bogey golfer puts up a game fight, but a birdie would be this player's best hole of the entire year. The rating team uses this player as its criteria to set the bogey rating at 96.3, which means the bogey golfer is predicted to average 96.3 on the better half of his scores on this set of tees.

Quote:

Nope, just found it interesting what they consider to be a bogey golfer- a touch more lenient in terms of score than I might have thought intuitively but that probably helps to make it closer to an average golfer, which is probably a good thing.

With that said, I do hope you explain how they "calculate" the 5.381 number in my slope thread.  To me that just looks like a multiplier they picked to get to 113.  Had they wanted to get to 100, they would have picked 4.762 instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

when did I confess to ACD?

Oops... that was supposed to OCD. (Is ACD anything???)

In one of of your threads from a last year, I think when the discussion was about what is a hazard (some of the issues you had at Keystone), you made a statement to that effect.  It may have been in slightly different words, but that was clearly the intent.  I didn't make the diagnosis, and I'm certainly not saying that you are a clinical case (I wouldn't know what that even means), I just read what you said then.  Your tenacity with what you perceive as issues with the rules and handicap is certainly not the way most people react to them.

My point was that you clearly are not a troll as per the accusation above.  A troll comes in for no other reason than to get a reaction, then leaves.  I can see that you honestly question these things.  The only issue I have is that no matter how anyone tries, nothing ever changes your mind about anything.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I consider myself to be a Bogey golfer.  I have a 19ish handicap on what I consider to be "average" courses.  Most of my rounds are dominated by bogey's with a few pars that escalate with a few blow up holes.  I generally shoot around 88-95 depending on how many times I hit my ESC.

Jeff

• Administrator

It's just math. The average scratch golfer isn't averaging par, or even par with the best 10 of his last 20, either.

Originally Posted by MEfree

You've still got it backwards. 5.381 is the result of the 113, not the other way around. As in "they got 113, and so to make that fit, it's 5.381." But regardless, that's not the topic here.

And now I'm done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I picked, "I don't think". After reading David in FL's response, I realized he did all the thinking that is really required for the topic!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I consider myself to be a Bogey golfer.  I have a 19ish handicap on what I consider to be "average" courses.  Most of my rounds are dominated by bogey's with a few pars that escalate with a few blow up holes.  I generally shoot around 88-95 depending on how many times I hit my ESC.

I also consider myself a bogey golfer, and also fit the same range of scores. 88 not that often, so my raw average out of 15 rounds is about 93 for the past few months or so. Since changing my swing and putting completely, I put my handicap as WIP. Most of my problems now are on the greens or 20 yards to 60 yards from it, because my new putting stroke/swing is stronger my confidence has gone down this close. Holding off turning in my cards until I get all 20 rounds in with my new swing. I also just changed to the next farther tees the last 5 rounds, so I might wait till I get 20 rounds from these tees too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

I also consider myself a bogey golfer, and also fit the same range of scores. 88 not that often, so my raw average out of 15 rounds is about 93 for the past few months or so.

Since changing my swing and putting completely, I put my handicap as WIP. Most of my problems now are on the greens or 20 yards to 60 yards from it, because my new putting stroke/swing is stronger my confidence has gone down this close. Holding off turning in my cards until I get all 20 rounds in with my new swing. I also just changed to the next farther tees the last 5 rounds, so I might wait till I get 20 rounds from these tees too.

Glad to hear you are progressing- no reason to wait for 20 rounds from a single set of tees as the handicap system does a good job of determining the difficulty differences- this is why we have CR and slope so that the same player will end up with the same (or pretty similar) index regardless of where they play.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Oops... that was supposed to OCD.  (Is ACD anything???)

AC/DC Rocks!

For the record, I contend that I am not derailing the thread, I am just making it awesome-ier™!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!