IGNORED

Just got my 1st handicap

brown86
Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all, I just got my very first handicap today and it's 25. I have only been play for 2months and was wondering how long will it roughly take to get a mid teen handicap?? Also a couple of the people I play with say I should get custom fit club, I like the sound of that but I am not made of money as I have to little children. I have cheap clubs (confidence golf) that I got from thesportshq.com cost £100 there's nothing wrong with them but the guys say I'll get lower scores with better clubs, Just wanted a little info and any suggestions what all you guys think. Cheers

I'm jealous that you are 25 in only two months. That's pretty good. It seems to take some time to develop a good swing. So, I would hold off on custom clubs because they do cost about 5 times your starter set.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can golf just fine with starter sets. Most of the time they are pretty much game improvement anyway. 25 isn't bad really, I play at about 22 now which wasn't improved when I spent extra money on better clubs. I've seen some pretty good players *mid-low teen* who play with box sets. It's more about being consistent than having good clubs. If I had it to do over again I'd have kept my old clubs and used the money I spent to get a good set of wedges and a fw wood and/or hybrid. If you have a full set and the flex isn't way off you should be fine.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Cheers for the reply people. I think I might just do that then. Stick with the clubs I hav as they are fine I only slice a couple and that because I'm trying to hit it far lol. As I play with a lad that plays off 3 and he's a big hitter. I'll just add a couple of clubs like a 60/64 wedge as I only hav a sw and it's hard to play around the greens wih that. Lihu... Yer 25 only had 1 lesson because I was slicing everything to the right and the pro told me to stand back in my stance. I'll hopefully get it to 20 maybe under by end of the year ( well that's my goal) just need to cut out the silly mistakes like 3 putting and lifting my head as I do that a lot.

Originally Posted by brown86

Cheers for the reply people. I think I might just do that then. Stick with the clubs I hav as they are fine I only slice a couple and that because I'm trying to hit it far lol. As I play with a lad that plays off 3 and he's a big hitter. I'll just add a couple of clubs like a 60/64 wedge as I only hav a sw and it's hard to play around the greens wih that.

Lihu... Yer 25 only had 1 lesson because I was slicing everything to the right and the pro told me to stand back in my stance. I'll hopefully get it to 20 maybe under by end of the year ( well that's my goal) just need to cut out the silly mistakes like 3 putting and lifting my head as I do that a lot.

People played for hundreds of years without 60s and 64s.  A hybrid, if you don't already have one, would be a better add, IMO, since they are a lot easier to get good result with than the iron they replace.  A 60 can be a pretty challenging club to learn 0 and not just for beginners.  Even most pros won't use a 64.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!