IGNORED

The "weight forward" move, am I misunderstanding?

Note: This thread is 3903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I'm confused, should my weight be all the way forward when my shoulders/arms start to turn, or should the weight transfer be happening while the arms/shoulders are turning?

Thanks for any attempt to help me clear this up.

They happen together.  You want your weight forward by impact, not all before you significantly start your down swing.  That said, getting some weight forward (even though pressure may still be mostly on the back foot) is usually prescribed as the "correct" start of the down swing.  Bumping your front knee or front hip down the target line to start your down swing obviously gets some of your weight forward right off the bat.

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try this out, flare your front foot out about 30 degrees, this will help keep your knee from banking to the right in the backswing, and help get the weight forward.

Also, if you maintain a steady head, for pros thats usually less than 1 inch of lateral movement left and right, then really there isn't much weight shift to your right foot. The problem most amateurs get, is that they move there head to the right so much there weight gets there, and its impossible to get it back forward. That's why most amateurs play the ball back in there stance than better players, because its were there swing bottoms outs at.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Saevel......funny you should mention that.  As of late, I have been working a little on keeping weight forward and specifically, turning left shoulder down and swinging up an arc around the torso. I have never been a big proponent of Stack and Tilt, but I happened to see my reflection in the window and damn if that was not exactly what I was doing.  I am not sure if all the other elements of that swing were present, but I would guess it would be very close. For whatever reason, I have been maintaining a good solid impact that repeats nearly every time.  I had at least 55% weight forward. It just seemed like a natural progression of things i.e. left shoulder down, left knee flexed , arc up and around, right leg straightening. I am very confident that I kept my center over the ball all through the swing. I am still not a total convert, but I will have to admit, that it does keep that weight forward, and the down swing hip slide/rotation does the rest.  I really was not even trying to do a stack and tilt, it just seemed to automatically manifest itself. I also have a little better result teeing the ball a little lower.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I took a look at a few of my last V1 swing recordings, and low and behold... My head is moving back 3 to 4 inches when I finish my backswing! I never caught it. It only happens during the last maybe 10 percent of it though as far as I can tell. Today I'm going to record myself with a shortened backswing and see if my head still moves off the ball. If it doesn't, I'll try to hit a few balls like that, see what happens to my contact.

Originally Posted by aevans410

I took a look at a few of my last V1 swing recordings, and low and behold... My head is moving back 3 to 4 inches when I finish my backswing! I never caught it. It only happens during the last maybe 10 percent of it though as far as I can tell. Today I'm going to record myself with a shortened backswing and see if my head still moves off the ball. If it doesn't, I'll try to hit a few balls like that, see what happens to my contact.

Practice inside with your head against a wall - turn and turn.

Or use this ... worked for this guy: http://thesandtrap.com/products/benderstik-golf-training-aid/reviews/4768

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3903 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!