IGNORED

Crushing my oldie of a driver.... do i upgrade

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am smashing my drive - averaging about 280-290 for sure.  Generally hitting it well with the odd bad shot (1 or 2 a round but I haven't played a lot so thats to be expected.

It's a taylor made R5 stock stiff flex, low torque, tip stiff driver.

I kind of want a new toy but, but since I am hitting it well i am wondering if i should.  Will i see increased accuracy from a newer stick?  Or will i hit poorly?

I have never been fitted, had swing speed measured, etc.

I am for sure going to get new wedges (I have an old wilson 56*) but am waiting until my Stan Utley art of short game gets here to see what he recommends.

As usual - how the hell would we know?

If you are "crushing" it, stay with it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Are you asking for driver advice, or just bragging?

As a 15 HDCP, your time might best be used refitting your wedges. If you've had the wedges awhile, you might need new grooves.

Getting your wedge shots 10 feet closer to the pin will help your score a lot more than 10 more yards on your drives.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only 290?! Hell, give that thing away and pick up a new hybrid. You'll hit that 320 easy.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Lol you guys are ridiculous.

I am a 15 handicap on a good day... I have nothing to brag about.

I apologize for saying it well.

Here is an new question:

I suck at a golf, like really bad.  I took an 8 today on a very easy par 4.  I am curious as to whether or not Driver technology has changed SIGNIFICANTLY in the past 10 years. Is a R1 considerably better than an R1?

Originally Posted by Lyndon Reid

@Shirty thanks for the insight....

All i was getting at is.... has technology changed so much that something new will make a considerable difference.  I am sure someone on here who is an equipment buff can comment

If you want to see the numbers, go do a fitting.  Take your current driver with you and pick out a few drivers in your price range you may be interesting in purchasing.  Get a certified instructor to assist you and take a look at your numbers  (loft/distance/accuracny, etc) with the different drivers.  If there is a noticeable difference then you can make the call if you want to purchase one.

However, I think have a solid wedge set is more important, as someone else has said earlier.

Jeff

Originally Posted by SloverUT

If you want to see the numbers, go do a fitting.  Take your current driver with you and pick out a few drivers in your price range you may be interesting in purchasing.  Get a certified instructor to assist you and take a look at your numbers  (loft/distance/accuracny, etc) with the different drivers.  If there is a noticeable difference then you can make the call if you want to purchase one.

However, I think have a solid wedge set is more important, as someone else has said earlier.

Thank you SloverUT.   We have a golftown here so I will give that a go!  I am def going to invest in some wedges.

I am pretty sure Stan Utley makes loft/bounce recommendations so as soon my book shows up I am ordering some wedges.

Every golfer on this forum has a driver until they get a new driver. My experience is that a I won't change clubs until another driver comes along and kicks the old one out of the bag by outperforming it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Every golfer on this forum has a driver until they get a new driver. My experience is that a I won't change clubs until another driver comes along and kicks the old one out of the bag by outperforming it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with your golf game that can't be cured by your checkbook! ;-)

In David's bag....

If you are hitting the R5 straight then there isn't much you will improve with a newer driver. The newer 460 cc drivers with a higher MOI can reduce slices and hooks. The R5 is a fine driver. No need to change just for the sake of change.

No. Based on your assessment above (280-290 yards, mostly well struck, with one or two mishits a round), I'm guessing most guys above a 10 handicap would trade places with you in a heartbeat - I know I certainly would!

At this point, I would focus your time and your financial resources on your irons and short game. It sounds like you are getting off the tee just fine.

No. Based on your assessment above (280-290 yards, mostly well struck, with one or two mishits a round), I'm guessing most guys above a 10 handicap would trade places with you in a heartbeat - I know I certainly would! a2_wink.gif At this point, I would focus your time and your financial resources on your irons and short game. It sounds like you are getting off the tee just fine.

Most guys above a plus handicap would be thrilled with that!

In David's bag....

Don't know it well enough but your numbers (if honest!) are good enough to say leave well alone! If it's a 0.83 CoR driver, then I'd say there's not a lot to be gained by upgrading in any case as the modern gizmos don't seem to add a great deal except to the turnover of the OEMs....

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

If youre hitting it 290 and are still a 15 handicap, perhaps you need new wedges, a new putter and shortgame/putting lessons.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Thanks everyone for the advice.  R5 is staying in the bag.  I continue to hit it very well.  Going to pick up a 58* wedge with some bounce once I get my Utley book and read exactly what he recommends.

I have been practicing my putting and chipping.  Using Utley's putting method and have been very comfortable.  Went from high 30's low 40's to low 30's.  Scores are dropping :D

Only played 6 full rounds this year but will be playing 1-2 full rounds plus some 9 hole week day rounds now (just joined the golf club).

Originally Posted by Lyndon Reid

Thanks everyone for the advice.  R5 is staying in the bag.  I continue to hit it very well.  Going to pick up a 58* wedge with some bounce once I get my Utley book and read exactly what he recommends.

I have been practicing my putting and chipping.  Using Utley's putting method and have been very comfortable.  Went from high 30's low 40's to low 30's.  Scores are dropping :D

Only played 6 full rounds this year but will be playing 1-2 full rounds plus some 9 hole week day rounds now (just joined the golf club).

280 ish or so hopefully in the fairway or at least playable. 280 in the woods is another story still not your driver either way.

work on that short game !

Drive for show, putt for dough.

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!