IGNORED

On the tee question...

Dabzy
Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Basically, as I'm to understand, the ball only comes into play when it leaves the teeing ground, so, if you address the ball, and knock the ball off the tee, you can reset the ball on the tee without penalty, or cost of a stroke.

But, what would happen, if, say, you address the ball, take your swing and then do an air shot in the teeing area? Or clip the ball, and it doesnt roll out of the teeing ground.

Do you still have to add them strokes, and in the case of clipping the ball and it doesnt leave the teeing ground, can you retrieve it and replace it back on the tee, or, reposition it if hitting it off the floor?

Dabz

Originally Posted by Dabzy

Basically, as I'm to understand, the ball only comes into play when it leaves the teeing ground, so, if you address the ball, and knock the ball off the tee, you can reset the ball on the tee without penalty, or cost of a stroke.

But, what would happen, if, say, you address the ball, take your swing and then do an air shot in the teeing area? Or clip the ball, and it doesnt roll out of the teeing ground.

Do you still have to add them strokes, and in the case of clipping the ball and it doesnt leave the teeing ground, can you retrieve it and replace it back on the tee, or, reposition it if hitting it off the floor?

Dabz

"leaving the teeing ground" isn't part of the Rules - someone has made that up.  The ball is "in play" as soon as a stroke is made at it in the teeing ground.  If you do an "air shot", the ball is now in play even though it is still on the tee within the teeing ground.  If you just clip it with your clubhead during a swing, it is in play and must be played as it lies.  If you pick it up and re-tee it, you will be playing your third stroke.

I am not a good "quote the rules" guy, but I've seen and heard things on TV about the "intent" to hit the ball. So the "stroke made at it" is a stroke made with the intent to hit the ball. Therefore, if you are addressing the ball in preparation to make a swing and knock the ball off the tee it should be replaced, no stroke or penalty.

This is also why you could see Kevin Na make a whiff above the ball and not have that stroke count. He changed his mind about hitting the ball was no longer making a stroke at the ball, just a practice swing...or a frustrating existential crisis, your pick.

One time Tiger was in his back swing and a bird flew though the tee box area distracting him. He purposely pulled up and swung over the ball. Because he changed his intent it was no longer a swing at the ball and did not count as a stroke.

Tiger:

Kevin:

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dabzy

Dabz

Even if you whiff the ball, the stroke counts and the ball is now in play.  Your next stroke will be #2.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ah, right, got ya fella's, thanks very much.

Basically, its one of them situations that have cropped up in a game I've had, and, I didnt know exactly, the lad that did the air shot explained that the ball wasnt in play, which, confused me because like I said, you can accidentally tap the ball off the tee and put it back, so, had to let it go at the time.

He's one of them that makes up rules to suit, so, just in case that pops up again, which, I'll be playing him again in a few weeks time, I'll be ready! :D

Dabz

Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!