IGNORED

If you were a natural athlete, and had Butch Harmon as a coach since you were four years old, what are the chances of you becoming pro?

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tmac20

What are the chances of you becoming a PGA TOUR player?

I've played since I was 5, got down to 5 by age 13 and went off the boil a bit with school work and stuff, only recently started taking it seriously again at age 17, down to scratch now (age 19), my aim is to play on some minor tours in 2015 turning pro off +3ish, one day with alot of luck and much dedication I hope to play in a few European tour events, PGA tour?  would be a dream to play in one, a real dream, the reality is though only the luckiest/best ever get a chance.

Originally Posted by RetroJFrancisco

I've played since I was 5, got down to 5 by age 13 and went off the boil a bit with school work and stuff, only recently started taking it seriously again at age 17, down to scratch now (age 19), my aim is to play on some minor tours in 2015 turning pro off +3ish, one day with alot of luck and much dedication I hope to play in a few European tour events, PGA tour?  would be a dream to play in one, a real dream, the reality is though only the luckiest/best ever get a chance.

Good luck to you.

For the record: When I say playing on the PGA Tour is a lottery ticket it doesn't mean I'm saying people with talent shouldn't give it their best shot. Have fun along the way and see where it takes you. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't at least you won't be one of us that maybe had a shot at something when we were young and didn't take it.

Originally Posted by MS256

Good luck to you.

For the record: When I say playing on the PGA Tour is a lottery ticket it doesn't mean I'm saying people with talent shouldn't give it their best shot. Have fun along the way and see where it takes you. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't at least you won't be one of us that maybe had a shot at something when we were young and didn't take it.

Thanks man, quite interesting to note only this year its hit me as a sort of wake up call that its an actual job.. When I play and practice its almost not fun? Dont get me wrong I 100% LOVE the game, its like "sh*t, that was a terrible shot, if I do that playing for money im screwed!", its not a hobby anymore its a profession, and every single shot be it practice or big match is serious, hopefully I can get my head around it sooner rather than later.

Natural athlete, with Harmon, and lets also include access to clubs, your odds are pretty close to 0%. In my opinion a natural athlete as well as physical size isn't enough....You need the gift, the gift is inside you, in your DNA, your heart, your brain and muscles. The gift also is being in the right place at precisely the right time.

A few years ago I read about a women who was an athlete right through college at one of the highest levels. She was not  a one dimensional athlete. But one sport she was particularly great at and recognized nationally at the collegian, world & Olympic level. She also developed with coaching a very low handicap, often playing from the men's tee's & scoring in the 70s, she had the time, resources ($$$$) training facility & pga caliber courses and  decided she could play well enough to get on the LPGA. She decided to commit full time to her goal.  She hit a 1000 golf balls a day, had intense golf coaching for four years. I can't recall the professional instructors name but it was someone well qualified.

Four years later she gave up her quest, having never made it  to qualifying for even one LPGA tourney. She had everything- except "The Gift"

Her name was Gabriele Reese, Model,  professional  volleyball player, Athlete, Mom and married to laird Hamilton

I agree with Spitfisher, it takes a gift. The people who are gifted, are on the tour now. The ones that are hopeful, probably have great coaching. There are so many scouts and other people looking for talent around, it is hard to believe that many talented people are being overlooked.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think if you start when your 4, are naturally athletic, and have some of the best instruction in the world behind you, you'd stand a pretty good chance.... The best players in the world are the ones who have been playing since they were little kids and most were not gifted by the worlds best instructors, they just see golf like walking, something they have been doing forever that is natural to them.

I think if you start when your 4, are naturally athletic, and have some of the best instruction in the world behind you, you'd stand a pretty good chance.... The best players in the world are the ones who have been playing since they were little kids and most were not gifted by the worlds best instructors, they just see golf like walking, something they have been doing forever that is natural to them.

I have seen lots of kids who have been playing since 4, and only one or two bubble up as hopefuls. One of them loves golf and lives and breathes it, but he has a gift. He was pretty much born with this ability. He hits the ball, and I always expect him to hit it exactly where he planned. He is 7 and plays to a scratch off the standard men's tees. The other kid I've seen is being nurtured by his grandfather. He has two coaches, is not gifted as much but is extremely good. He is also 7 and plays single digit from the same tees, he does not hit that far. So, the coaches throw off the first one for acting like a 7 year old when he gets a birdie or par, and the other one still plays and acts like a miniature PGA pro. This kid is really serious business. I think the one "diagnosed with ADD" has a really good chance of being a PGA pro while the other one will most likely be one of the really good college players. Both of these little kids are naturally talented athletes, but one of them has the gift. He doesn't really need a coach to tell him how to swing or how to hit a shot from a particular location. He just does it, and the amazing part is HE really knows how he does it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Both of these little kids are naturally talented athletes, but one of them has the gift.

To be a world class athlete at any sport these days, one needs to train since young age with a very good coach, superior physical ability/athleticism, God given mental attitude (hard working, competitiveness, discipline), and a lot of break along the way.   The boy has something that others don't.   I wish him luck.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

To be a world class athlete at any sport these days, one needs to train since young age with a very good coach, superior physical ability/athleticism, God given mental attitude (hard working, competitiveness, discipline), and a lot of break along the way.   The boy has something that others don't.   I wish him luck.

I wish him luck as well. Many children that age seem to be close to scratch. Pretty incredible to watch. The 15-18 year olds are even more incredible.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I guess for me, it would depend on what part of the Tour you were talking about. What's the chances of someone starting at that age with world class coaching getting a Tour Card at one point in their life? I'd say it's doable, but I wouldn't expect to see them playing on sunday afternoons. Keeping their tour card ? Slight chance, however not impossible.  Seeing that person going into sunday with the lead/in the hunt? That would take more than starting early and world class coaching.

I used to be big into martial arts. When I taught (I'm not calling myself world class by any means, just using this as an example) I had kids that "got it" and kids (and adults) that "didn't get it", even though I taught them the same things.   The one's that "got it" were the ones who constantly talked about it, studied about it, practiced it before, and after classes, asked questions. They had the drive to learn it.  The one's who didn't get it were socializing after and before classes, not practicing, not asking questions. No drive.  The instruction and ability to start young needs drive to be beneficial to the fullest extent.  The drive is the X factor in my opinion.

Originally Posted by cipher

If Butch were my coach I could have made it, unless I was having personal problems or something like that...

No doubt.

If only I had bought a lottery ticket last week, I'd be rich today too!  Damn!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

No doubt.

If only I had bought a lottery ticket last week, I'd be rich today too!  Damn!

By "made It" I meant my high school team back in the day.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by MS256

Just curious. Somebody in the "if we only started young and had good coaching" crowd tell me why we don't see all of the children of the top coaches out there on the PGA or LPGA Tours?

Surely they taught their own kids to play. I taught my kids to play baseball (because that's what I knew). I would think that a golf instructor would naturally teach their kids to play golf.

Hard to debate this.........

At the highest levels, golf is a mind game.

Do you have the mentality?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

At the highest levels, golf is a mind game.

Do you have the mentality?

Lol it is? Most of those PGA Tour guys are morons, man. Because Bubba's really using mind games out there right? Gimme a break!

It's easy to not be scared over shots when your golf game is ri_dic_u_lous.

Constantine

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Lol it is? Most of those PGA Tour guys are morons, man. Because Bubba's really using mind games out there right? Gimme a break!

It's easy to not be scared over shots when your golf game is ri_dic_u_lous.

Give me a break ... please.

If you think too much in this game, you're done.

You've got to have a certain mentality - some do it with cockiness, others have a silent, deadly confidence, some are just gifted physically and take the allotted amount of risk, some have a gambler's mentality - it may be a combo. And you must have the confidence to minimize nerves.

Touring Pros have the confidence and mentality to free themselves to hit the shot.

Of course, you must have the physical gifts. But given the premise of this thread, that is a given.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!