IGNORED

Choosing the right driver?

Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I still have the same driver that I had when I was 15 and was wondering if I should get a new one.

My driver is a regular flex, and its a 10.5 LOFT...

Now, I am currently hitting the ball 275+carry, and certainly hit it in the 300 range 5-7 times during a 18 hole.

Should, I be going with a stiff flex driver or is the regular flex what is really helping me get that distance.

I am also, hitting the ball on a much higher path then I use to even with a low tee up.

was looking at a 8.5 degree loft

thanks,

Sean Savoie

Your problem with lack of distance needs to be addressed. Until you can hit the ball a respectable length, stay with what you have. Driving is obviously ruining your scores. Why don't you try a different driver? A demo. It is possible that actually doing it might be more worthwhile than asking the opinions of strangers who haven't seen you swing.
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I don't think distance is my problem, nor do I feel my driver is giving me a worst score. Did you read what I wrote?

I am mostly talking about wanting a new driver because I hit the ball on a high arc, and my shaft is flexing way to much.

Was wondering what a stiff flex would do compared to a regular one. If dropping my loft, would solve the high arc problem.

He understood you well. Go and get fit for one.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by savosean

I don't think distance is my problem, nor do I feel my driver is giving me a worst score. Did you read what I wrote?

I am mostly talking about wanting a new driver because I hit the ball on a high arc, and my shaft is flexing way to much.

Was wondering what a stiff flex would do compared to a regular one. If dropping my loft, would solve the high arc problem.

Gawd......

You are asking people who have not seen you swing what you should do.

You also claim to hit the ball 300 yards half the time.

And you feel you have a problem.

How the F would anyone here know what you should do?

Go and spend five minutes hitting two demo drivers.

Try a stiffer shaft and try a lower loft. Is that advice too "left field" for you?

You might find that your "problem" isn't a problem at all.

It's one that most golfers would like to have.

But of course, a "4" marker who hits it 300 yards half the time knows that asking strangers for advice is the way to go.

You just seem very upset, for no reason. Its dissapointing that my first impression of users on this forum is not a good one. The big awnser to this question could of clearly been awnsered in simple go hit some demo drivers figure out the shaft for your self. this is not a question that can be acessed on a forum. But, you go an make responses like that just makes me wonder how much of a shitty life you are having.

So thanks for your help.

As a 4 hc who says he hits the ball 300 yards, have you really not tried a stiff shaft? Just is kind of hard to imagine. Definitely do a fitting. Also generally hitting the ball high is a good thing. Your reasons for wanting a new driver just don't make sense. You say the shaft is flexing too much and you are hitting it on a high arch...those are not in and of themselves problems.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Its to high, and I live in a really windy area. I want to hit the ball lower, and I really work on it. But, why would I not want to try a stiff shaft if it will give me even more yardage? Sure, I don't need it but I am looking at a new driver now. Since my driver is 5 years old.

You just seem very upset, for no reason. Its dissapointing that my first impression of users on this forum is not a good one. The big awnser to this question could of clearly been awnsered in simple go hit some demo drivers figure out the shaft for your self. this is not a question that can be acessed on a forum. But, you go an make responses like that just makes me wonder how much of a shitty life you are having. So thanks for your help.

No, that's just shorty keeping things in perspective. The only way you can get the flight you want is to get fitted. If you really average a high straight 275 plus yards carry with a regular shaft, nobody on the Internet can suggest anything worth while. You need to see a professional fitter.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To Answer your question, you probably need a stiff or extra stiff shaft depending on your tempo And the characteristics of the shaft such as weight, etc. The key is to get fit or send a video to a fitter

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Lihu

No, that's just shorty keeping things in perspective.

The only way you can get the flight you want is to get fitted. If you really average a high straight 275 plus yards carry with a regular shaft, nobody on the Internet can suggest anything worth while.

You need to see a professional fitter.

Well, shorty is a F'ing idiot.

All I wanted was a response to my question, not someone who has life problems posting in anger on a forum thread. I appreciate the people that were helpful, but I can't get fitted for anything were I live so I won't be able to do that until I go back to University in September.

Well, shorty is a F'ing idiot.

You are the F'ing iduot.

A 4 marker (Yeah right) who asks strangers the questions you did. Ridiculous.

until I go back to University in September.

(snip)

I am also, hitting the ball on a much higher path then I use to even with a low tee up.

I'm guessing you mean "than I used to", but hey, I've made typos myself, there's one in my last post.

Seriously - have you not just tried hitting a couple of shots with another driver, you don't have to get fitted to do that.

You don't look at 8.5 of loft -- because all heads are not created equal.  Some heads are very low spinning and you may need more loft.

You want something adjustable

You need to find a shaft weight and characteristics you like.

You need a pro to put it all together.

I suggest you have patience and wait 2-3 more weeks until you can find a reputable fitter.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Shorty

You are the F'ing iduot.

A 4 marker (Yeah right) who asks strangers the questions you did. Ridiculous.

Yes, I am a 4 handicap who ask these questions. Because it is good to know information from others who have been in the same situation. I certainly could wait a month before I get back to the city for school, and try clubs out until I find the perfect club. Or, I can ask people who have educated opinions on this subject, and or have been through the same situation as me some sugestions. If you are to ignorant to understand, these questions are ask'd to simply gather the most information I can before a purchase then you are down right incompetent.

Originally Posted by Shorty

I'm guessing you mean "than I used to", but hey, I've made typos myself, there's one in my last post.

Seriously - have you not just tried hitting a couple of shots with another driver, you don't have to get fitted to do that.

No, I have not I live in a small town at the moment and litteraly don't have any golf stores. The golf Course I have been golfing at does not even let me try out a club, if I want to test it out before buying. As for typos I am french and english is my second language so I will probably make a lot of typos.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

You don't look at 8.5 of loft -- because all heads are not created equal.  Some heads are very low spinning and you may need more loft.

You want something adjustable

You need to find a shaft weight and characteristics you like.

You need a pro to put it all together.

I suggest you have patience and wait 2-3 more weeks until you can find a reputable fitter.

Thank you for the detailed response, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You have restored my faith with the community on here for now, and hopefully most of the community on these forums are more like you. I don't understand why someone can be so angry and type such ignorant post just because he feels the necessity to do so. Once, again thanks.

Note: This thread is 3904 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!