• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fletch

Driver for beginners?

6 posts in this topic

hey everyone, im relatively new to golf, bought a friends set of old clubs which have been fine, but it doesn't have a driver, just a 3 and a 5 wood. Im definitely improving with my irons and wedges, and im getting much better at the shorter shots around the green. But I'm still struggling a lot off the tee with my woods to get any kind of consistency. I know ill eventually have to buy a driver, but is it a good idea to master my woods before doing so? Or is it easier to hit a forgiving driver for beginners then a 3 wood? Also, any good tips for a driver for beginners? Any advice would be amazing, cheers

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

what are the current woods?

Personally in my first 5 years playing i never used a wood.

because off that i have a pretty good iron game now. and

you drop handicap faster with irons. ( i was a 14 hdc with irons )

I think it's best to go like i did and stay with irons for now,

You should have some consistency anyway to benefit from a forgiving wood.

because if you have a big slice on your woods a forgiving wood would not cure that.

First your basics should be good.

My personal recommendation based on my own experience,

Start by mastering your irons!!!  Use a 5 iron off the tee. When you get good at it, then a 4 iron. And when you get good at it, start using fairway woods. And then the driver. In that order.

Learn to fly a small plane before you try to fly a 747!

^ these guys are probably right! But at some point your gonna cave in, go out, and buy some 460cc driver, and when you do get a geek golf FS3, get the the right shaft for your swing speed, get it measured no more than 44.5" & you'll never look back! It's a solid head, very forgiving, looks good, great sound and a long knocker! I've had other drivers since, but nothing gives the confidence that this beast does, and driving is all about confidence!

A great very forgiving driver is Ping G20. I should have said it before.

I have a Callaway Diablo Edge driver and I think it's awesome.  Very forgiving and long.  You can probably pick one up for less than 50 bucks online these days.