IGNORED

Broken tee. Using someone else's equipment??

MyrtleBeachGolf
Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the rules guys: if I pick up a broken tee on a par 3 tee box and use it to hit my shot, is it considered "using someone else's equipment", and a penalty??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

For the rules guys: if I pick up a broken tee on a par 3 tee box and use it to hit my shot, is it considered "using someone else's equipment", and a penalty??

Definitely not a breach of any Rule and therefore not a penalty.  A player is permitted to borrow anyone else's equipment, except golf clubs.  Besides, an abandoned broken tee is no longer anyone's equipment.

A Rules myth that needs to be eradicated.

I was fed this nonsense by a couple "rules guys" the other day. Sounded fishy. Just wanted a 2nd opinion.

Sounds like somebody let Rulesman and fourputt out of their cages.

By this logic, using a ball you found in the woods would constitute a foul as well.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

An abandoned tee, broken or otherwise is just an obstruction.  Same with a stray ball.  Even a club, if you happened to find one.  You could pick it up and use it as long as you weren't already carrying 14.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Assuming the "one ball" rule is not in effect you can actually borrow a ball from a fellow competitor. You can borrow any equipment from your opponent or competitor ( Except golf clubs). A tee, ball, towel, etc. is "sharable". If that's a word!

I was fed this nonsense by a couple "rules guys" the other day. Sounded fishy. Just wanted a 2nd opinion.

That's amazing.

Around here there are little cups for throwaway tees, so people can use them on par 3s. Plus, there are generally a bunch of them in the ground already.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There aren't any rules that prohibit you from using someone else's equipment, except for clubs. Clubs can be borrowed from a partner, but not competitor.

4-4 . Maximum Of Fourteen Clubs

a . Selection and Addition of Clubs

The player must not start a stipulated round with more than fourteen clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than fourteen clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed fourteen.

The addition of a club or clubs must not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7 ) and the player must not add or borrow any club selected for play by any other person playing on the course or by assembling components carried by or for the player during the stipulated round .

b . Partners May Share Clubs

Partners may share clubs, provided that the total number of clubs carried by the partners so sharing does not exceed fourteen.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Lihu

That's amazing.

Around here there are little cups for throwaway tees, so people can use them on par 3s. Plus, there are generally a bunch of them in the ground already.

Few years ago, we had a guy claim this on an another player during a Club Championship at a local club.  Story was the player was disqualified or lost the hole, don't remember,  for using the tee.  Boggles the mind.  At times I'm quite embarrassed at the rules knowledge by some of our Club personal.  Some with PGA of America credentials.  I will admit many don't fully don't understand what can be borrowed, but a tee on the ground, come on.

Regards,

John

For crying out loud.

Is there really any limit to the depths of the craziness of some of the dilemmas that are posted here, and apparently, not as jokes?

Seriously......this is really over the top.

Of course - it would be too hard to do a search on "what constitutes equipment in golf" in a rules context.

Don't EVER let a  headcover you find on the course find its way onto one of your clubs before you return it to the proshop.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Is there really any limit to the depths of the craziness of some of the dilemmas that are posted here, and apparently, not as jokes?

Of course - it would be too hard to do a search on "what constitutes equipment in golf" in a rules context.

Don't EVER let a  headcover you find on the course find its way onto one of your clubs before you return it to the proshop.

I think a lot of what gets posted here is to get answers but to also inform others that may not understand the rules that well. I will admit, prior to this season I was no rules expert by any means. I've been doing a lot more reading this summer though. I hate having to look stuff up after the fact that I was unsure on!

Originally Posted by Dormie1360

Few years ago, we had a guy claim this on an another player during a Club Championship at a local club.  Story was the player was disqualified or lost the hole, don't remember,  for using the tee.  Boggles the mind.  At times I'm quite embarrassed at the rules knowledge by some of our Club personal.  Some with PGA of America credentials.  I will admit many don't fully don't understand what can be borrowed, but a tee on the ground, come on.

Originally Posted by Shorty

For crying out loud.

Shorty, I have to say, your attitude around here is quite charming.  You have such a negative attitude towards these forums and the people who visit them, that I really do have trouble finding a good reason why you stop in here or waste your time posting?

As shown by the quoted example above by one of the resident rules guru's, this is clearly not an isolated incident.  There were 2 separate gentlemen at a recent tournament who were claiming that the use of someone else's tee was a violation of the rules.  I in fact did a quick look of the USGA rulebook that I carry in my bag, and couldn't pinpoint the exact ruling it may fall under.  While out on the course today, I pulled out my phone and posted a quick question here on the forums, hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me could provide an exact answer.

And you were so kind to contribute ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the discussion other than to prove to all of us once again how upset you are at life.  Well, I appreciate the contribution.  Well done sir.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Shorty

I take it you were asked by someone to tone down your rhetoric? ).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Shorty, I have to say, your attitude around here is quite charming.  You have such a negative attitude towards these forums and the people who visit them, that I really do have trouble finding a good reason why you stop in here or waste your time posting?

As shown by the quoted example above by one of the resident rules guru's, this is clearly not an isolated incident.  There were 2 separate gentlemen at a recent tournament who were claiming that the use of someone else's tee was a violation of the rules.  I in fact did a quick look of the USGA rulebook that I carry in my bag, and couldn't pinpoint the exact ruling it may fall under.  While out on the course today, I pulled out my phone and posted a quick question here on the forums, hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me could provide an exact answer.

And you were so kind to contribute ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the discussion other than to prove to all of us once again how upset you are at life.  Well, I appreciate the contribution.  Well done sir.

Don't you know? It is cool to make a post to complain about other people making posts.  Apparently not clicking on a thread is difficult.

• Upvote 1

Jeff

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Motown88

Assuming the "one ball" rule is not in effect you can actually borrow a ball from a fellow competitor.

And if they're playing the same kind of ball you are, it's legal again. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3878 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!