IGNORED

PGA Bans Caddy Races

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gosh, good to see the PGA is addressing the true issues on the tour. Those damn caddy races.

Glad to see slow play & jerkwads yelling out crap have been totally addressed so they can turn their attention to this.

I get that Waste Management / Phoenix Open is supposed to be a "fun" tournament.  The problem is that people attending and watching WM don't realize that the behavior they encourage there isn't how the galleries should behave at other tournaments.   PGA Tour should consult with Augusta National as they seem to know how to get their visitors to behave properly during a Major.

I gotta disagree with this. I believe 90% of the people who attend golf tournaments are true golf fans and players themselves and they understand that the Phoenix Open is totally different animal. The crowds at the 14th and the caddie races are just fun and should be left alone. IMO.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gosh, good to see the PGA is addressing the true issues on the tour. Those damn caddy races. Glad to see slow play & jerkwads yelling out crap have been totally addressed so they can turn their attention to this.

Right? 5 hour round? Fine. Drunken douchebags with their hats turned backwards and a large beer in each hand, screaming out idiotic things just to get on TV? Cool. Caddies sprinting to the green while the crowd cheers? Must be stopped! :-\

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Phoenix Open is already crazy and over the top.  The Caddy races just added an element of danger IMO.  It was just a matter of time before someone got hurt.  When I saw some of those guys diving and tumbling into the green with their golf bag in tote, I was amazed that someone wasn't laid out hurt afterward.

Danger of what? Comon they are ruining with a bag on their back, what they going to do, stub their toe? Also not required, just requested. Yelling is dangerous, throw off a tour player in their swing, you could see a 300 yd drive come off poorly and hit one of those close sidelines, that's dangerous.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

I'm sure the sponsors and the PGA care.  Thus why it was banned?

Maybe the insurance companies? I'm not in the Tour event business, but I can guess there is some sort of insurance involved that may involve claims made due to injury. In the attached video you can clearly see caddies running by wild cactus plants. If a caddie falls into one of those plants he can possibly be injured very severely. Just a hunch.

http://www.pgatour.com/video.html/2013/02/01/caddy-races-at-the-infamous-16th-hole-at-tpc-scottsdale

Originally Posted by 9iron

Maybe the insurance companies? I'm not in the Tour event business, but I can guess there is some sort of insurance involved that may involve claims made due to injury. In the attached video you can clearly see caddies running by wild cactus plants. If a caddie falls into one of those plants he can possibly be injured very severely. Just a hunch.

http://www.pgatour.com/video.html/2013/02/01/caddy-races-at-the-infamous-16th-hole-at-tpc-scottsdale

OMG, I wonder how they are allowed to play in direct sunlight (cancer), in heat (stroke), with heavy bags (back), without helmet (ball hitting head), walking next to cacti (punctured eye), with unstable PGA pro (club wrapped around the head).

Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!