IGNORED

2013 Wyndham Championship Discussion Thread

NYStateOfMind
Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who do you think will win the Wyndham Championship this week?

I narrowed it down to Sergio Garcia, Jordan Spieth, Zach Johnson, Bill Haas and Brandt Snedeker. After a lot of internal debate I rolled with Snedeker and here is a summary of what I liked:

Brandt is having a very solid year. In fact he made the cut in 13 of 17 events in 2013. Of those 13 he has 11 top-25s, eight top-10s, a third and two second place finishes. Oh and then of course are his two wins at the AT&T; Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the RBC Canadian Open. In his career at the Wyndham Championship he racked up a tie for 28th in 2012, tie for eighth in 2010, tie for fifth in 2009 and won the event in 2007. He did not play well last week at the PGA Championship but that has not stopped him from playing well at Sedgefield Country Club. He likes this course and it appears being past the final major eases his mind.

In 2013 Brandt is 10th in strokes gained putting, fourth in birdie average, ninth in scoring average, second in the all-around and third in par breakers. He has the game to conquer the Wyndham Championship and has proven it already. The undulating greens at Sedgefield Country Club will challenge many of the professionals this week but Snedeker’s incredible putting stroke will be the key to mastering these greens once again. I expect Snedeker to have a solid final regular season event culminating in a victory with a full court press into the Fed Ex Cup playoffs in defense of his title.

What does everyone else think? It was hard to rule a few guys out but at the end of the day we have to make a call right?

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Charles Howell III has been disqualified from the Wyndham Championship because the weight port cover on his driver came off before his second round.

The disqualification for using a non-conforming driver was announced Saturday before the start of Howell's third round.

Howell shot a 68 on Friday to move to 6 under, five strokes behind leader Patrick Reed .

PGA Tour rules official Tony Wallin says another official told him about Howell's driver early Saturday morning.

He says the weight port cover came off Howell's TaylorMade driver while he was on the driving range before his second round.

Had the cover come off during the round, Wallin says Howell would have been OK to play with it as long as he fixed it before his next round.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Charles Howell III has been disqualified from the Wyndham Championship because the weight port cover on his driver came off before his second round.

The disqualification for using a non-conforming driver was announced Saturday before the start of Howell's third round.

Howell shot a 68 on Friday to move to 6 under, five strokes behind leader Patrick Reed .

PGA Tour rules official Tony Wallin says another official told him about Howell's driver early Saturday morning.

He says the weight port cover came off Howell's TaylorMade driver while he was on the driving range before his second round.

Had the cover come off during the round, Wallin says Howell would have been OK to play with it as long as he fixed it before his next round.

Well when was it discovered it came off? Did someone notice it on the practice range and then tell an official after Howell had started his round. That is bad luck there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbm12thtee View Post

Well when was it discovered it came off? Did someone notice it on the practice range and then tell an official after Howell had started his round. That is bad luck there.

Just saw this

Quote:

PGA Tour rules official Tony Wallin said another official told him about Howell's driver early Saturday morning.

He said the weight port cover came off Howell's TaylorMade driver while he was on the driving range before his second round. Howell said in a statement that the company assured him that the lack of a cover would not affect the club's performance.

"The idea that the club would no longer be conforming, because of the missing toe-cap, never entered my mind," Howell said.

Had the cover come off during the round, Wallin said Howell would have been OK to play with it as long as he fixed it before his next round.

Howell said the club — which he called "the best performing driver I've ever played" — will be back in play next week at The Barclays.

Mike McLoughlin

Just saw this

Oh wow he knew going in it came off and played with it anyway. Wonder why it was non conforming? Because it simply wasn't made to be played without that part? Unfortunate.

Originally Posted by barbm12thtee

Wonder why it was non conforming? Because it simply wasn't made to be played without that part?

Exactly, that "design" hasn't been approved

Mike McLoughlin

They have a broadcast window allocated for the coverage. Unless it's one of the majors, no network is going to disrupt an entire day's programming because the tournament committee sent the players off early.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

Surprised this thread has hardly any posts. That putt by Spieth on the 73rd hole yesterday was pure $. And Reed getting up and in for birdie on the 74th was beyond clutch.

That shot Reed hit from under the trees on the 74th was obsurd. Really fun playoff to watch, thought each guy had it locked up a few times.

That shot Reed hit from under the trees on the 74th was obsurd. Really fun playoff to watch, thought each guy had it locked up a few times.

Yeah it was. The guy has a great attitude, and it's just a matter of time before he's top 50 in the OWGR. Spieth, I honestly think his ceiling is limitless.

I was pulling for Reed.  I like Spieth a lot and would like to see him win a LOT of tournaments in the coming years, but considering Speith has already won this year I wanted to see Reed get his first win - and the invite to the Masters.  Imagine the feeling of being a young player on tour finally getting that first win and being invited to the Masters.  Great story with his wife on the bag and all too - Reed is going to be a very good player on tour.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Administrator
Originally Posted by iHack

Yea no kiddin. They should have aired it live during the regular scheduled time

You get that it wasn't "live" during the regularly scheduled time, right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!