Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keeping the head still in the golf swing

1 post in this topic

I tend to have a habit of slightly turning my head to look at the club going back and I am pretty sure it is affecting the consistency of my golf shot.  I developed this habit after always checking on my club position when it is parallel to the ground (as a drill).  I seem to be unable to shake this tendency now when I go up to swing and actually hit the ball.  If I focus on keeping my head down I feel like I lose the feel of the clubhead and get uneasy.  Definitely less of a problem for my shorter clubs but definitely more apparent in my longer irons/ woods.  Anyone have any tips or drills I can use to fix the habit of looking back? Any similar experience or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Takeaway Question
      So question I have that is related to this topic and one I struggle with that effects my takeaway.  So at setup as seen DTL, is left(led) arm higher than the right at setup? When my trailing arm is soft and lower, it seems to want to come more inside at take away, but feels less natural than if trailing arm is higher than leeding arm?  Sorry to throw in this basic setup question.
    • Does the USGA Rules book make sense?
      I think he meant that yes, the Rules make sense, in response to the title of the thread. 
    • Higher handicaps should be practicing the short game more [mygolfspy]
      The only assumption I made is that a rational player who is practicing to improve from where they are is focusing on what they perceive as a something that needs work. So the only conclusion on a trend I see from the chart is that all shots need practice no matter your handicap (none of the lines track down to zero), but higher handicappers need a bit more long game focus to improve long-term. With a sound grooved swing established, perhaps lack of time slightly shifts a lower handicap player's focus to the lower hanging fruit of further short game improvements. Long game is hugely important, but maybe lower handicaps experience some diminishing returns on time invested in long game practice to make significant gains and shift focus a bit toward the 'maintenance' side. Maybe it takes more relative practice time to keep high level short game skills sharp relative to a firmly established, sound, grooved swing? Don't remember if Breed talked about total time or percentage, but nothing in what I wrote says they spend more total time on short game. If you project the curves out to pro levels, bulk of total time would still be on long game with a modest percentage shift to short game. This makes a bit of sense to me in that just the frequent switching between courses, with different green speeds and grass types requires at least a bit more relative time (vs. a higher HCP playing their home course) in pre-round practice to get the speed touch and release visualization right for that week / day on putting and short game shots.
    • Does the USGA Rules book make sense?
      In most cases, trying change the wording into "common English", whatever that is, would create imprecision in the meanings that the rules are intended to convey.  Most such changes would require the rule thus modified to become far more wordy in attempting to say the same thing, making the task of locating specific items even more difficult than it already is for those uninitiated in the arrangement of the document.  The rules are written in more of a legal form, but one that is actually not that hard to understand.  The Rules of Golf are certainly quite simple when compared to something like signing up for Medicare and Medicare supplemental insurance.  That is stuff that needs to be translated from whatever twisted logic was used to write it.  Trying to wade through tax forms is another chore that is beyond reasonable.   The Rules of Golf are written with a strong leaning toward logic.  It only takes a basic understanding of a few of the fundamental principles which provide the basis for the way golf is supposed to be played, to see their wonderful efficiency in defining the processes needed to play the game.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries