Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Royster1984

Putting Drills

5 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some suggestions on drills I can use to practice my putting??

At the minute I am practicing putting around the house on the carpet using a CD to aim at as a pretend hole. I am also practing hitting putts from different lengths on the putting green at my local golf centre.

I am just after any ideas of what better players do in practice time to improve there putting.

Thanks

Anthony

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I like to spend a lot of time on the practice green.  Generally, I put 4 or 5 balls in a circle around the hole at 3 feet and try to knock in as many as I can without missing.  I pick some number as the minimum that I need to sink before moving on, or sometimes I'll decide I want to make 25 putts total.  Then I back up to 5 feet and then longer until I get bored.

But recently, I've decided to commit to spending half my putting green time practicing reading the green.  So I'll put balls further out--anywhere from 5 to 50 feet, and go through my entire reading routine.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you want to practice your distances you can put up sticks on the practice green and try putting to about a foot behind the first stick (maybe 10 feet) and then after you hit about 20 times doing that try moving the stick to 15 feet and repeat.  Etc

Also, Sports Authority carries a practice putting mat for about $45 with a little slope at the end which is supposed to train you to hit it a little past the hole and also allow it to roll back to you.  I have one at my house and I try to use it the night before I go out to play.  Sometimes I'll practice it with my roommates or when we have people over and we are drinking. It's actually pretty fun and I have noticed an improvement on keeping the correct line

Cool. I don't really struggle with length too much more with hitting right lines Like the sound of practice mat.