IGNORED

2013 Solheim Cup Discussion Thread

Tontj5
Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by 9iron

Watching this Solheim Cup I thought about the greens most of the LPGA events are played on, and how these greens at Colorado CC are a lot tougher with both slope and speed. It showed, just unfortunately mostly with the Americans.

Yeah, they were rolling pretty quick. I think that most people don't realize that on a mountain course (as Colorado CC most certainly is) a stimpmeter is a lot less accurate in measuring speed just because you will never really have a flat putt. Everything is always going to up or downhill for you, which keeps you thinking more about your speed than your line most times.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In fairness to how / why the USA girls are so far behind Asia.....The USA College / University Scholarship program used to be the supreme development program for young developing amature golf talent.  Now Asia has the girls play golf everyday during daylight hours and study at night.  In an unfortunate way the Asia program....especially the Korean System is much much much more about golf and less about grades.  So to produce golfers....the Asian system is winning.

The younger players and rookies really get into this tournament more than the veterans. Performance of the veterans usually ends up disappointing. I think MW showed why she deserved to be there.

Originally Posted by TJBam

W

With the caked on makeup and the dramatic skirt leg splitting etc. Wie is in it for Wie and not America. Very self absorbed as our young friend above points out.

Sadly, US team seems to be made up of want-to-be models that play golf, European team is all about golf.

Joe Paradiso

W

With the caked on makeup and the dramatic skirt leg splitting etc. Wie is in it for Wie and not America. Very self absorbed as our young friend above points out.

That's not fair. All of the women were heavily made up and Wie played as well as anyone on the US team. She always wears short skirts as do many women on the LPGA tour. She's tall with great legs, why not show them?

The better team won, period. And I'm so glad for it given the way team USA behaved - unprofessional, piss poor sportsmanship, prima donnas, whiny, pouty, etc ... just unacceptable "high school" behaviour. They got what their "just desserts".

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Wie tweeted on Saturday night that her own behavior was unsportsmanlike when she walked off the one green, but on Sunday she did the same exact thing again. What the heck?

Couldnt agree more...........M. Wie bashers will be out in full force. If you wanna bash her for something let it be the 20lbs of clown paint on her face. But she did her job and validated her pick in my opinion.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by 9iron

Anyway, I love match play golf. But ya gotta make some putts! Maybe instead of all the lovey, dovey soapy stuff next time, just show up and play some golf. The rest will take care of itself.

You're right.  I love to watch match play and wish it were more popular.  In all formats you have to make putts to do well but it is especially true in match play.

I believe the American women played about as well as the Euros did from tee to green but just seldom made the putts that had to be made.  There were some exceptions and I thought that young lady Salas was outstanding.  What a competitor she is.  I also thought Pillar played well for a first timer and I believe we will see her in the future.  BTW I'm not saying the others didn't give it all they had, I'm sure they made their best effort, but maybe they were just too up for the event.  It is difficult sometimes to be the presumptive winner.   But you have to give a lot of credit to the Euros who raised their game to a higher level and really outplayed the Americans.  No question they deserved to win.

Butch

Originally Posted by Guyetto

The USA girls got their butts whipped by Europe.  If they played an Asian / Oz / NZ version like the Presidents Cup on the men's tour they may not have gotten more than  2 or 3 points.

The World Rankings agree with you. If they played a team from AustralAsia, that team would have players ranked 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19. In stark contrast, there would only be 5 American women ranked in the top 25, and our lowest ranked player sits currently at 84. Women's golf in the USA needs some new young players to emerge.

Love the way those young Korean girls play. Not only do they have some beautiful golf swings, they can putt with the best of them.

For the record I thought Wie played well and definitely was worthy of being on the team. I was not happy with her behavior and sunglasses during the interview. Wie wasn't the only one displaying poor sportsmanship though. As an American I was more embarrassed by our teams behavior than our play. The better team won and I'm ok with that. I got away from other sports and watch and play golf more than anything now because Ive always felt that golf put me closer to a different class of individuals than other sports (most of the time) but our team's behavior was disgusting. I am a proud American who was unable to serve our country due to medical reasons but I have served my community for over 20 years as a paramedic. I am very proud I fly the flag at my home and I take it down every evening and fold it neatly for the next day. It seems we as a society have lost pride and some of our team members represented the US poorly with their behavior. This American just had to rant lol

Ping G20 iron

Ping G20 pitching,sand and approach wedges

Ping G25 driver

Adams 19* and 22* hybrid

Ping G25 3 wood

Ping Karsten putter

Ping pioneer cart bag

Bridgestone E6

Originally Posted by Guyetto

In fairness to how / why the USA girls are so far behind Asia.....The USA College / University Scholarship program used to be the supreme development program for young developing amature golf talent.  Now Asia has the girls play golf everyday during daylight hours and study at night.  In an unfortunate way the Asia program....especially the Korean System is much much much more about golf and less about grades.  So to produce golfers....the Asian system is winning.

Or maybe they're using common sense.  Last time I checked Asia had no problems with public education.

Originally Posted by MSchott

That's not fair. All of the women were heavily made up and Wie played as well as anyone on the US team. She always wears short skirts as do many women on the LPGA tour. She's tall with great legs, why not show them?

Not all the girls were "made up" like little toy dolls.  Wie had full on cake, complete with blush, etc.  She looked ridiculous for a girl playing a sport.  This was on Sunday, the only day I watched.  She looked insecure like she was trying too hard to impress a boy at school, and found her way into her mom's makeup cabinet.

The overdone make up and short skirts is why I'll never take a few select LPGA players seriously.  Even when they're playing golf they have to dress up like sex objects.  And then if someone calls them on it they're a sexist pig.  Compare Wie's dress and make up to the 17 year old amateur that beat out Paula Creamer.  She is wearing minimal make up and a modest pair of lady shorts.  Do you think that this amateur was more focused on her GOLF game or trying to get guys in the crowd SPRUNG?

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Couldnt agree more...........M. Wie bashers will be out in full force. If you wanna bash her for something let it be the 20lbs of clown paint on her face. But she did her job and validated her pick in my opinion.

I have never really watched M Wie play before.  Couldn't pick her out of a line up.  Her clown face on Sunday is the only impression I have of her, and it is not good.

Not all the girls were "made up" like little toy dolls.  Wie had full on cake, complete with blush, etc.  She looked ridiculous for a girl playing a sport.  This was on Sunday, the only day I watched.  She looked insecure like she was trying too hard to impress a boy at school, and found her way into her mom's makeup cabinet.

The overdone make up and short skirts is why I'll never take a few select LPGA players seriously.  Even when they're playing golf they have to dress up like sex objects.  And then if someone calls them on it they're a sexist pig.  Compare Wie's dress and make up to the 17 year old amateur that beat out Paula Creamer.  She is wearing minimal make up and a modest pair of lady shorts.  Do you think that this amateur was more focused on her GOLF game or trying to get guys in the crowd SPRUNG?

I have never really watched M Wie play before.  Couldn't pick her out of a line up.  Her clown face on Sunday is the only impression I have of her, and it is not good.

Don't you think it's shallow to judge someone on that basis?

So to recap: Appearance: American Team too much makeup, hair ribbons outdated, outfits unflattering, face painting a little over the top. Behavior: American Team: boorish, unsportsmanlike, embarrassing gestures (over used fist pump, you can't see me or Jazz hands?[suppose to be a private team joke], pouty faces, talking loud to be heard, TMI on love for coach, team, teammates. Play: good from tee to green, poor chipping and miserable putting. Appearance: Europeans were acceptably presentable, smoking hot Behavior: business-like, not overly celebrating after winning a hole, endearing little wave from the 17 year old. Play: good play from tee to green, great short game and excellent, lucky putting.

I'll be then first to admit that Im a Michelle Wie fan. Anybody who can juggle LPGA tour travel and still graduate from Stanford deserves to be applauded in my book. Im thinking she never got the chance to be a girl/kid or whatever, so I think she still had some teenage girl in her even though she's in her 20's. In a nutshell "some" of our ladies tried to out pretty eachother and we all know how that worked out.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!