IGNORED

Forgiving Fairway Woods

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I am looking at a couple of 4 woods on ebay right now. The driver I have coming is the 6.0 Project X stiff shaft, looking at similar for the 4 wood and 3h with the 5.5 Project X.

neat - this time I did see one (seriously, just one) on a google search.

good luck.  If you get the driver, watch out for the ProjX shaft, sometimes it snaps at the hosel with the STR8 Fit setup.  Mine did, but the replacement shaft was a serious and free upgrade to the Ahina.

Based on my yardages currently, a 4 wood (17 degrees, maybe 240) and a 3 hybrid (21 degrees, 225) would both hit about the same distance for me - pure guessing based on my current distances.  But I'd consider the 3 and 4 hybrids to be comparable to my 4 hybrid and 5 wood setup today.

But the 5 wood is 'money', I wouldn't trade it for anything now in that distance range (220-235). and the 4h (205-220 or so) is sweet for long shots from anywhere.

Though I was going to go over to Golfsmith and see if they still had the 3h and 2h on clearance just to hit in the sim......

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

neat - I even did a search.  the only 4's that came up were hybrids, not woods.  Send me a link, I'd like to just peruse it, not interested in buying one.

good luck.  If you get the driver, watch out for the ProjX shaft, sometimes it snaps at the hosel with the STR8 Fit setup.  Mine did, but the replacement shaft was a serious and free upgrade to the Ahina.

Based on my yardages currently, a 4 wood and a 3 hybrid would both hit about the same distance for me.  But I'd consider the 3 and 4 hybrids to be comparable to my 4 hybrid and 5 wood setup today.

But the 5 wood is 'money', I wouldn't trade it for anything now in that distance range (220-235)

I figure that the 3h will be 230-240 yard club for me, but I haven't hit it so that's just a rough guess based on what I hit my current 3h which is junk. I'm hoping the 4w will be a good option to use instead of driver when needed. I have heard of issues with the project x shaft on the driver, but I think that was the 5.5 and not the 6.0. I will have to check on that.

*edit I found one video review that was for the 6.5 project x shaft which broke*

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I figure that the 3h will be 230-240 yard club for me, but I haven't hit it so that's just a rough guess based on what I hit my current 3h which is junk. I'm hoping the 4w will be a good option to use instead of driver when needed. I have heard of issues with the project x shaft on the driver, but I think that was the 5.5 and not the 6.0. I will have to check on that.

*edit I found one video review that was for the 6.5 project x shaft which broke*

actually, I think what I heard was more prevalent on the stiffer shafts (6.0 and higher.  Mine was a 6.5) - most likely your 6.0 will be fine

great clubs - good luck.

the 3w Limited edition is a great club for driving and the profile is still good on the fairway and short rough too.  Gives you a bigger gap.  And much more available out there.

Bill - 

I have a G10 3-wood myself, and absolutely love it off of the tee. Tee it slightly off the turf, move it back in your stance and you can hit a low rocket that feels like it jumps off the face before it begins to rise. It's my go-to club when I have to hit a fairway, because I can hit it consistently where I'm aiming. I'm just sad that I can't really use it more often on some of the long courses you play in high school conference matches (they've all been 7200+ and par 72's) unless I want to hit longer irons into the greens.

That being said, it still goes plenty far for me. It's probably only about 10-20 yards shorter than my driver, but sometimes longer than the driver when you have a solid tailwind since you can float it up into the breeze with enough backspin.

Off the deck, I can still get it going. It doesn't launch very high though, so possibly not a "forgiving" fairway wood, but it does give quite a bit of rollout and doesn't lose much distance hitting into the wind for me.

One thing to watch on the G10's is that the glossy paint will start to slightly flake after a few years of heavy usage. I've had mine for four years now and there's a small spot on the crown (the size of small pocket lint) that has no paint anymore since it came off. Really beautiful club to look at otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by erock9174

let us know how you like it. If you are topping the ball you are likley swaying in your swing or lifting up and not staying down on the ball. I had this same problem last year and during a lesson we fixed my swaying and coming up out of my posture which led to better fairway wood shots. Right now I have 2 sets of FW. Ping k15 3 and 5 woods.And the Tour Edge Trilogy 4w and 7w. The Pings are the easist to hit that I have owned or demo'd. They are a bit on the large size head wise so from the rough they are not that versatile. But off the tee and fairway you can't go wrong.The Trilogies are very nice too but not as forgiving for me. They play better from the rough with their sole design.

I've only taken it to the range once, hit it off the tee 3 times and was impressed how far and straight I was hitting it. Who knows how I'll do when I use it in the fairway or rough but I really like it, especially the offset.

I am going to try and fix topping myself, but I can see a lesson or two in the near future. What do you mean when you say "swaying"?

Quick update. Looked up some swaying fixes and it seemed to help a bit(still something else going on). But the Cobra speed ld offset is incredible, played 9 holes today and switched to the 3 wood instead of my driver. Every time it was straight(maybe a slight slice once) and distance was more than I expected even on a bad shot.

Let me say I know a couple good players, and I am nowhere close haha... Played terrible today with a few nice shots here and there. On the 9th 298 to the hole I tee'd this wood up. Hit it to the right and play it safe or hit it straight but leave it short your ball is lost. I decided to go for it, thought my ball was lost but ended up 15 feet from the hole! I'm actually still confused about this shot, I really don't think I've even hit my driver that far. I'll be sticking with this wood.

Note: This thread is 3898 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!