IGNORED

Does Altitude Matter?

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

I'll be traveling to Asheville, NC this weekend to play the course at Grove Park Inn. I'll see if I notice much difference between Sea Level (Myrtle Beach) and 2500 feet (Asheville).

Beautiful course!  Enjoy.  My parents club is in Hendersonville so I play the area often.

I know it's not scientific but what I've noticed about higher elevation courses is that I simply can't compare them to my low elevation courses because the higher elevations typically seem to be mountain courses thus there is no flat ground.  You are either teeing from elevated tees which naturally give you more carry or you are hitting into an up slope that gives you zero roll out and less carry.    I've played from sea level to about 9000ft and I just can't compare.  I will say that teeing off from a tee elevated about 120ft is cool because the ball is in the air forever but it just drops out of the sky with no roll.

I'm sure that in a lab you will get more distance with higher elevations but I don't play in a lab.  It has more to do with course terrain than elevation I think.

The short  answer is add 10% distance for every 5,000 ft altitude in relation to distance at sea level..

However, I once read a very comprehensive article on altitude and it said the distance increment is a function of how high the ball flight is. For an average golfer at 5,000 ft it would be like this

driver, add 20 yards

long irons add 10 yards

mid irons add 15 yards

short irons add 20 yards

• 2 years later...

The short  answer is add 10% distance for every 5,000 ft altitude in relation to distance at sea level..

However, I once read a very comprehensive article on altitude and it said the distance increment is a function of how high the ball flight is. For an average golfer at 5,000 ft it would be like this

driver, add 20 yards

long irons add 10 yards

mid irons add 15 yards

short irons add 20 yards

I just played at 7000 ft and I didn't find this to be necessarily true.  It seemed that instead of how high you hit the ball, the length of time the ball spent in the air was more important.  I definitely got more of a boost with my driver/3-wood/hybrids than I did with my short irons--but some of that can also be attributed to firm playing surface.

Regardless, the extra "boost" you get with altitude was obvious.  I normally try to play from ~6300 yds.  In this case I played from 7300 yds and really didn't find it to be any more challenging.  I was a bit intimidated when faced with a 498 yd par 4, but a good drive and a well struck 4-iron left me with an easy 2-putt par and gave me plenty of confidence to finish out the day.

Randal

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I never really worried about altitude, and I have played below sea level, and thousands of feet above sea level. Just never really thought much about distance differences.  Just too many other variables that affect distances with various clubs. Altitude would affect the carry but not the roll out as an example. Firmer, and or softer fairways. Uphill, and/or down hill fairways would tend to equal things out over the 18 holes.  Plus, I am quite sure altitude would only affect the longer, full swing shots, and not so much with the shorter stuff. I am more dependant on the shorter, less than full swing shots to score well. 

I have played on some higher altitude courses that had more affect on my breathing than my ball distances. :-P 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!