IGNORED

What makes the pros so good?

Brandon138
Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So we all see the good players around our local clubs. And when you play with them it seems like they are infallable. Always sticking it pretty close, long drives down the fairways, and scrambling more times than not.

So how can it get much better than hitting fairways and greens? What makes the pros on that much higher a level?

Originally Posted by Brandon138

So we all see the good players around our local clubs. And when you play with them it seems like they are infallable. Always sticking it pretty close, long drives down the fairways, and scrambling more times than not.

So how can it get much better than hitting fairways and greens? What makes the pros on that much higher a level?

Not trying to be smart - but you have to go and see them play.

Your jaw will drop.

The good players you talk about will look like beginners in comparison.

At the top level it's about making birdies, not about hitting greens (excluding most majors).

Check out the scores of the web.com tour as well as the PGATour. Many  weeks the players are going backwards if they aren't 5 under on both rounds of the weekend.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

For the pros, Id say its the total package.  They dont have a shot that they fear and they dont have any clubs that they dislike hitting.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

For the pros, Id say its the total package.  They dont have a shot that they fear and they dont have any clubs that they dislike hitting.

Not really true.

Look at how comparatively poor Westwood and Mahan's chipping was a couple of years back.

Bubba Watson's putting is suspect. So is Dufner's and look at all the guys with long putters.

See how much they like putting in two years.

And they all fear the water on the left, I promise you.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

For the Tour pros, it's all about consistent, solid contact.  There is a reason their irons look like this, and ours don't:

They hit the ball in the same spot EVERY time, which is why they can control their distances to the yard.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

For the Tour pros, it's all about consistent, solid contact.  There is a reason their irons look like this, and ours don't:

They hit the ball in the same spot EVERY time, which is why they can control their distances to the yard.

It is pretty crazy that they are so consistent.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine are without marks too, so I am obviously so good I know how to equally distribute the stress across the entire face to improve overall wear and read on them.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Originally Posted by RandallT

Mine are without marks too, so I am obviously so good I know how to equally distribute the stress across the entire face to improve overall wear and read on them.

I just say we are trying to maximize our investment by spreading the wear out over the whole clubface to make our purchase last longer.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Even the "good" players talked about here duff one once in a while.  These guys might shank a shot on average once every 10 years... and these guys hit HUNDREDS of balls per day (unless you're jason dufner he hits 47, exactly 47 balls on the range, I know, wtf?)

I just amazes me how the strike the ball so pure.  The best shot of my life with a 9 iron wasn't even struck with the purity these guys can strike a 2 iron almost every single time, lol.  I just love hearing them hit a driver, cause I can't hit a driver worth crap.  Maybe once every other round will a shot with my driver feel like it hit dead center on the sweet spot.  Otherwise I could swear I hit a rock not a ball... and that's with my G20 which is generally regarded as a pretty forgiving driver.  But I SUCK hitting a driver.  Also, when we "chunk" a shot, it goes half the distance we needed it to go - if that.  When these guys chunk a shot it's 20ft from the hole rather than 10, lol.  They also don't hit the ball... they work the ball.  A shot for them that goes dead straight is actually a BAD shot.  These guys can shape shots better than anyone.  40 yard hooks like Bubba's at the masters where I'd just be chipping out and still probably not hitting the fairway lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

It's all about consistency. There are some scratch golfers that can strike the ball the same as some pros, they just can't repeat it every time, or even close to that.

And Shorty's right about making birdies. One of my favorite Trevino quotes is: "There are two things that won't last long in this world, and that's dogs chasing cars, and pros putting for pars."

Tyler Martin

I agree watch them live. there shots fly and sound different lol. I was playing down in florida with my club pro and one of the top local pros. This guy had me watching in awe he didn't miss a shot and he wasn't good enough to play on tour.. Bottom line those tour pros are in a class by themselves. The thing that kills me is the scores these kids are shooting in the junior am.

I finally watched a whole golf tournament on YouTube. I played it 50% faster, and skipped some parts. Tiger and the 21 year old playing with him were pretty incredible ball strikers. They both drive the ball 360 to 380 yards or so. They knocked their second shots close to the pin. They both recovered from bad shots. Of course, Tiger was more incredible at this. The long putts that tiger made were amazing. The rest of the field looked bad compared to this, but they also made many shots look easy. 199 yard drives with a 7 iron? Expecting to hole out from a green side bunker? I wish they had some clips of Luke Donald, too bad. I get it, these top 50 players around the world are all really amazing. I am convinced physical skill alone does not get them to this level.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Most golf competitions are a big putting contest. There a lot of great ball strikers in the world but the best make birdies and save pars with their flat stick.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

Most golf competitions are a big putting contest. There a lot of great ball strikers in the world but the best make birdies and save pars with their flat stick.

I think it's the short game too.  Putting, reading greens, pitching and chipping, sand, all the 'touch' stuff.  Those pros that people say are "crappy at putting" are still a lot better at it than most.

Heck, apparently, 3/4's of the players here hit their drivers and irons 50% farther than Tiger.  So it must be around the green, not hitting away....  (though I do like the comment up thread about Tiger hitting 360-380 typical....)

(and, it's rare that I'm trying and succeeding to work the ball.  Most days I'm just fighting to find whatever is consistent for that round.  So path and face angle control must be phenominal with the pros.  That'll extend to a natural putting ability too.)

Bill - 

Originally Posted by kw purp

The steep angle of sttack that come in with on their shots. Thats why they can spin/stop their shots on the green. Repeating their swing motion as well

I need to improve on that a lot.  I still don't take the right kind of divots.

The guy at the range next to me was simply and repeatably carving out that perfect little divot trench.  shot after shot, he'd just take that little bit of turf on the back edge of the pattern he already made, always about the same depth, maybe 3/4 of an inch?.  And then place the next ball on the edge and doing again (like we're supposed to at the range)  Each of those little bites was about the size of a silver dollar (cut from the edge of the previous shot)

I still tend to be a clean picker on my good days.  and when I do take a divot it's almost always too early.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

Having this kind of control over contact spot on the face also gives you and indication of the general level of control they have over the entire club, controlling swing path and face angle and loft at impact.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 3879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!