IGNORED

Par 3 and Irons off the tee.

Kevin04
Note: This thread is 3875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

Just curious to see what most you guys do on a Par 3 or if hitting an iron off the tee on a hole.

Do you hit down much like you would if you were in the middle of the fairway with an iron, or do you hit it differently, more like a scoop type shot?

I didn't either think about this until I seen a video on the net recently from a PGA pro Conan Elliot saying that most golfers do and are meant to hit down on it from the tee, and the tee is used just as an aid to give yourself a perfect lie.

I did not know that at all, and I think in my 4 years or so of playing regular golf I more or less kind of hit the ball differently from the tee (almost a half scoop/half hitting down) very, very rarely leaving a divot.

It would be interesting to see what most folk do?

And to be honest, I don't know if I want to try hitting down like my regular iron play as I am usually qute strong from the tee e.g played today, 5 par 3s and parred 4, bogey on the last. I've found though I tend to use a lower club n a bit and almost give it a 80% swing rather than a direct flowing one with less club.

Anyhoos, thanks again.

Originally Posted by Kevin04

Hey guys,

Just curious to see what most you guys do on a Par 3 or if hitting an iron off the tee on a hole.

Do you hit down much like you would if you were in the middle of the fairway with an iron, or do you hit it differently, more like a scoop type shot?

I didn't either think about this until I seen a video on the net recently from a PGA pro Conan Elliot saying that most golfers do and are meant to hit down on it from the tee, and the tee is used just as an aid to give yourself a perfect lie.

I did not know that at all, and I think in my 4 years or so of playing regular golf I more or less kind of hit the ball differently from the tee (almost a half scoop/half hitting down) very, very rarely leaving a divot.

And to be honest, I don't know if I want to try hitting down like my regular iron play as I am usually qute strong from the tee e.g played today, 5 par 3s and parred 4, bogey on the last. I've found though I tend to use a lower club n a bit and almost give it a 80% swing rather than a direct flowing one with less club.

Anyhoos, thanks again.

If you watch any professional tournaments, you'll see most pros taking a divot similar to--if not exactly like--one they would take from a fairway lie when hitting off a tee.  Maybe not if they're hitting a driving iron, but yes, they will be hitting down on the ball.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I tee it low and try to hit a normal shot, which is the same as if I was on the fairway.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same swing, same divot and depending on the tee box I may not use a tee, I may just find a nice place to hit off of.

If the tee box is a mess I will use a tee just for a clean lie.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

On shorter iron shots, I tee it very close to the ground and try to hit down.   As I go toward 3 iron, I tee it a little higher (no more than 1/2 inch high) and don't hit down as much.  I think it is orthodox way to do it according to one of my instruction books.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Same exact swing. The tee is just to ensure a perfect lie. I don't see why you would ever take a different swing just because the lie is perfect.

Tyler Martin

Same swing. As others have stated, the tee just ensures a "perfect" lie. I always tee it up on the tee box. The game is hard enough. No need to add difficulty by not taking advantage of every opportunity to help yourself. I typically just look for a broken tee and use that.

Normal swing with the exception of using a 3 or 4 iron for a tee shot, I may tee it up slightly higher.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I use broken tees (when I can find them) for par 3s.  I want something that is just barely above the ground, maybe 1/8 inch at most.  Just looking for perfect lie.  And, the I hit it just like it was lying on the fairway.  I hit down hoping to impart backspin so the shot hits and stops.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

The only time I tee the ball higher than just barely over the ground is with the driver. I also will use found/broken tees for this.

Superfast 12 LS Driver set at 10*w/ProLaunch red shaft

:callaway:RazrFitXtreme w/MatrixBlackTie 15*:adams:Idea ProBlack hybrid 16*:adams: Idea ProBlack Hybrid 20*  :callaway: RazrX Forged 4-PW  CG14  54* S Wedge

Idea A3 60*  L wedge

:rife: IBF Aussie Tour Blade putter

Anytime I use a an iron from the tee box I hit it off the ground.  The only exception is when I use my 3H or 4H, then I'll tee it very slightly off the ground.   I don't use a tee with the traditional irons because I seem to make poor contact.  Something about the ball being slightly elevated bothers my eyes and I never make clean contact.  So, I treat it just like any shot from the fairway.

Not sure everyone does this but when I'm hitting an iron shot, I focus my eyes/aim about 2 inches in front of the ball.  I think when the ball is tee'd up it keeps drawing my eyes/aim back to the front of the ball and I usually chunk it.

I'm weird, yes I know

"Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five." - Paul Harvey

Off the deck on a well kept teeing ground 6-W. 1/4" above the turf with 3-5. If I tee my shorter irons, a lot of times I catch it high on the face, so it's easier for me to play the ball back a bit and hit down.

Originally Posted by Kevin04

Hey guys,

Anyhoos, thanks again.

First I don't tee the ball more than about 1/4" high - barely enough to just give a perfect lie - so that doesn't tend to inspire a scoop.  Then I swing just as I would for any iron.

There are a couple of problems with scooping.  One is that you don't get as much spin, so the ball will release more, and it will release differently from what it does with a normal fairway shot.  I also find that I tend to pull it left when I catch myself scooping.  There is also a tendency to hit it fat, either from teeing too high or from the scooping action itself.

It makes no sense to me to change my swing just because I am allowed to give myself a perfect lie.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

totally more of a scooping shot for me ... I tend to hook the ball off the tee which means I'm sweeping through it & not hitting down on it.   Always fight that when teeing up an iron - have started hitting off the tee box on super short par 3's - might try it at least through the mid irons ....

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I have more success hitting down and resisting the tendency to hit up just because it's on a tee.  I tee the ball low to simulate a good lie in grass.  When I start scooping, the bottom of my swing arc is behind the ball and I end up hitting fat and thin shots.

+1 on FourPutt's comment on not having a different iron swing because the ball is on a tee.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Note: This thread is 3875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!