IGNORED

Par 3 and Irons off the tee.

Kevin04
Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As others have said, Tee'd up less than an 1/8 of an inch and hit it like any other iron shot. Slightly higher for hybrids but not by much, maybe a 1/4 inch?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a tee - about 1/8" high for short and medium irons - and hit the same type of shot as from fairway.

What I have done sometimes is tee up the ball about 1/4" high, and take one more club than normal. I'll hit a groove higher on the face, but I get the ball up, and regain the distance with the extra club chosen.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by Kevin04

Hey guys,

Just curious to see what most you guys do on a Par 3 or if hitting an iron off the tee on a hole.

Do you hit down much like you would if you were in the middle of the fairway with an iron, or do you hit it differently, more like a scoop type shot?

I didn't either think about this until I seen a video on the net recently from a PGA pro Conan Elliot saying that most golfers do and are meant to hit down on it from the tee, and the tee is used just as an aid to give yourself a perfect lie.

I did not know that at all, and I think in my 4 years or so of playing regular golf I more or less kind of hit the ball differently from the tee (almost a half scoop/half hitting down) very, very rarely leaving a divot.

It would be interesting to see what most folk do?

And to be honest, I don't know if I want to try hitting down like my regular iron play as I am usually qute strong from the tee e.g played today, 5 par 3s and parred 4, bogey on the last. I've found though I tend to use a lower club n a bit and almost give it a 80% swing rather than a direct flowing one with less club.

Anyhoos, thanks again.

I dont use a tee for any iron off the tee except my 4iron, if I tee it up I find dont get the same decending blow

FWIW, always use a tee and basically sink the shank entirely so the head is all that's above the ground. Normal swing. Re. not using a tee, sure it was Nicklaus who commented that the game was hard enough already without ignoring the few perks the rules allow you.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

FWIW, always use a tee and basically sink the shank entirely so the head is all that's above the ground. Normal swing. Re. not using a tee, sure it was Nicklaus who commented that the game was hard enough already without ignoring the few perks the rules allow you.

Most of the best pros to play the game have made that observation.  Lee Trevino has stated several times that it makes no sense not to give yourself the best lie possible when the opportunity presents itself.  Of course, we have bogey golfers here on the forum who know better.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I only tee it up if its more than a 7 iron. I used to tee everything, but I found that's hit higher irons too high and felt i was losing distance. I take a normal swing when it's teed and take a normal divot. Might be more mental than an actual issue, but hitting high irons off a nice lie off the deck works for me.

Driver:  TaylorMade Burner 9.5 degree R Flex

3-Wood:  TaylorMade RocketBallz 15 Stiff flex

Hybrid:  Cobra Baffler 19 degree

Irons:  Cobra S2 irons  4-PW

Wedges:  52.08 Hogan, 56.14 Vokey and 60.07 Vokey

Putter:  1967 Muirfield Blade putter

Thanks for the replies.

Really interesting to read all the opinions.

I noticed last night as I hadn't paid much attention to it in the past, but my buddy hits a club less than me. I'm going to try the hitting down tonight.

Maybe scooping is not the best description of it, but it's definitely a lighter type of hit than I would in the middle.

Same with me.  I tee it up just slightly above the grass and use my normal shot.  Teeing higher may reduce distance as well if the hit the ball higher of the face.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!