IGNORED

Youngster signing in

Kelzzy
Note: This thread is 3785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was shooting at or under par at age 14, but I played nearly every day from age 5 on. I could break 80 at age 9, but from forward tees.

Holy Crap that impresses me! And just so there's no confusion, I am not being sarcastic, I really am impressed. And jealous, I can't break 80 from the forward tees now!!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I was shooting at or under par at age 14, but I played nearly every day from age 5 on. I could break 80 at age 9, but from forward tees.

So what does that mean?

This gets back to a thread a few weeks back where I was trying to establish that claims about scores of kids were meaningless when they were on shortened courses.

Not suggesting 200m carries for kids. Not suggesting they play from the back tees, but when we read that player X, or Tiger broke 70  at age Y, we assume it was from the back tees.

The OP, whether he is an adult or just a troll, at the age of "14" has also given us his "opinion" on whether Nicklaus was better than Tiger.

I wouldn't be giving him a lot of credibility at this point. Especially since his original post was clearly a blatant lie.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

So what does that mean? This gets back to a thread a few weeks back where I was trying to establish that claims about scores of kids were meaningless when they were on shortened courses. Not suggesting 200m carries for kids. Not suggesting they play from the back tees, but when we read that player X, or Tiger broke 70  at age Y, we assume it was from the back tees. The OP, whether he is an adult or just a troll, at the age of "14" has also given us his "opinion" on whether Nicklaus was better than Tiger.  I wouldn't be giving him a lot of credibility at this point. Especially since his original post was clearly a blatant lie.

It means geauxforbroke played like one of the two prodigal 7 year olds in our league. These kids don't drive as far as an adult, so it takes an extra stroke now and then. Inside 150 they are both in the hole in 3 or less.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

It means geauxforbroke played like one of the two prodigal 7 year olds in our league.

These kids don't drive as far as an adult, so it takes an extra stroke now and then. Inside 150 they are both in the hole in 3 or less.

The only reason why I agree with shorty on the "forward tees" thing is because typically people remove the context when reporting the scores.  They will say some kid shot a 74 at such-n-such course as a 10 year old, neglect to mention it was from the "junior" tees, and everybody will think to themselves, "crap!  I can't even break 80 on that course.  That kid was just a natural!"

The scores aren't comparable.  And there's really no way to be able to relate to those scores unless you compare them to other child prodigies or ourselves at that age from forward tees (if we played).

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Sure, I agree as well. However, 14 year olds, in their league play, need to play from the standard or one back. I assumed because of the OPs age, that he plays those tees. I could be wrong in the OPs case.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Sure, I agree as well. However, 14 year olds, in their league play, need to play from the standard or one back.

I assumed because of the OPs age, that he plays those tees.

I could be wrong in the OPs case.

I would agree that the OP would likely be playing those tees.  What he scored, however, I won't speculate on

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Okay, first off...welcome to the forum!

Second, we need to know what your professional aspirations are and how far you drive the ball.  If you are anywhere north of 135lbs, we will accept nothing less than a 290+ yard driving average.

/kidding

Haha. I'm 160 and drive a consistent average of 290 with my new RAZR fit Extreme. I really like that driver.

Ok, I don't want to multi-quote like 15 people, so here's a full "essay" to all of your guys' questions:

(Not in order)

1. I am not a 9 year old :) I am 14 like I said

2. The reason, I think, I was able to go out an shoot a 73 in 3 weeks was because of hard work and a good swing. Like I said, I played golf from 4-9, that's a lot of wiring as my dad say's. For those 5 years, me and my dad, and a coach, worked on my swing day in and day out. My swing now is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods', which can help your game a lot :p Although, I do have my own traits. (I will post a video of my swing on Monday)

3. I have worked, so far since coming back to the sport, for 3 weeks, every single day, from 9 in the morning to until dark, usually playing a round of 9 holes or 18. Like I said, nothing but hard work, and a good swing, got me to shoot a 73.

4. I am not an internet troll XD

5. Like I said earlier, I play from the blues in my clubs, which are also known as the Championship Tees

6. I don't play mulligan golf. I use to, but when I really wanted to do good in tournaments, all my rounds have been solid tournament style rounds. That's it.

7. I came to the forums to ask questions, get help, and talk with other golfers. It's hard being out at the course every day and not seeing one other "serious" type of golfer you can bounce ideas off of. Really glad I found the sand trap.

Also... MFW I beat Tigers/Jacks record in 20 years from now and me/you revisit this thread

I grew up in the Tiger era. He's my biggest inspiration. Even despite the scandal, I've always looked up to Tiger. He made a mistake, he's sorry as heck, I can forgive him. You can truly tell he regrets what he did.

I know / read Tiger looked up to Jack greatly, but I can't relate to looking up to Jack like he did because I didn't watch any of Jacks play live, as I wasn't even close to being a cell :p but I do, however, look up to Tiger greatly.

Originally Posted by Kelzzy

Ok, I don't want to multi-quote like 15 people, so here's a full "essay" to all of your guys' questions:

(Not in order)

At least you have clarified yourself so we know for sure that you are lying.

You are 14.

You have worked really hard for 3 weeks.

You consistently hit it 290.

You had 1 over from the Championship tees.

Your swing is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods'.

You play a lot in "tournaments".

You are planning to be the best golfer in history.

Both immodest and  dishonest - a winning combination.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

At least you have clarified yourself so we know for sure that you are lying. You are 14.  You have worked really hard for 3 weeks. You consistently hit it 290. You had 1 over from the Championship tees. Your swing is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods'. You play a lot in "tournaments".  You are planning to be the best golfer in history. Both immodest and  dishonest - a winning combination.

Haha, ^^^either very correct... Or very envious! But probably both!

Gaz Lee

Post a video of your swing and if it's very good I'll believe you.

I wish I had taken a video of my son's (younger than the OP by a year) 260 yard 3W drive yesterday afternoon. I was too busy getting ready for my own drive, and did not expect him to do a full swing because he was injured and was supposedly taking it easy. It was a fluke, but not unusual for him to pull that off when he is fully fit. Like I stated in an earlier post, we have one 14 year old who normally plays like the OP played his reported round. The only difference is this kid played golf all the way from 5 to 14 (almost 15), and his dad is a single digit handicapper with aspirations for him. The OP is a high school student already, the junior varsity players at my town's high school are already playing at a very good level. They are pretty much amongst the better players on all the local courses. Not unusual for 14 year olds with proper training. I wish the OP the best, he sounds like he could be one of the star players for his high school. Hope to see you at the CIF championships. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

You are 14.  You have worked really hard for 3 weeks. You consistently hit it 290. You had 1 over from the Championship tees. Your swing is pretty much identical to Tiger Woods'. You play a lot in "tournaments".  You are planning to be the best golfer in history. ...immodest - a winning combination...

Yup, sounds like a teen to me :-D).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!