IGNORED

Full Hybrid Set

chrstianrockboy
Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey this is my first post on here so im hoping this hasnt been covered elsewhere, tried searching for it but didnt find anything along this lines so heres my question. Ive just started playing a few months ago only played seven rounds to date but have been inconsistent on my irons all the way up to the wedges. Part of the reason is i sweep the ball and try not to leave a divot on the swing. My woods and hybrids being meant more for a sweeping motion are great. So would a 2-pw set off hybrids work out better than irons. Short term, long term.

Thanks any and all responses appreaciated.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade Rocketballz Irons:  6-aw

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

My wife has a set of all hybrids down through the sand wedge. It's great for her and allows her to play much better than she ever could if she was using irons.

She started playing in her 50s, doesn't like to practice (in fact WILL NOT practice), isn't exactly a natural at the game (except for putting and bump and runs), and has no real aspirations of getting better than she is.

For somebody in that situation I think it's a good move. For others maybe not.

Your best bet might be to take a look at the Adams a12os set of irons.  There are a number of variations in the clubs:  3-pw, 4-gw, 4-sw.  For a beginning golfer this set of irons is usually a pretty good option.  (A new set is around $400.)

Another option is the Adams Idea Tech V3R Hybrid Irons

There is a newer model - the Adams Idea Tech V4 Hybrid Irons. This model generally new would be around $700.  (below)

You should be able to go to Dick's or Golf Galaxy to give these clubs a test drive, and then decide for yourself if you think that they will work.

Adams a12os Hybrid Irons

Adams Idea Tech V4 Hybrid Irons

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

You could also look at the Cleveland Altitudes.  Ive heard great things about them.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I can attest to the awesomeness of the 588 Altitude because I own them. After lurking at a different forum with a high percentage of low handicap members singing their praises I took a chance. Well not much of a chance since I already had the 588 TT's and the clubs are made to mix and match. That's really what sets them apart. All it takes it hitting them to get past the ugliness.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I can attest to the awesomeness of the 588 Altitude because I own them. After lurking at a different forum with a high percentage of low handicap members singing their praises I took a chance. Well not much of a chance since I already had the 588 TT's and the clubs are made to mix and match. That's really what sets them apart. All it takes it hitting them to get past the ugliness.

Agree.  I played in a golf outing earlier this year with a guy who had a set of Altitudes and they are fugly and all the headcovers looks funny but they do work.  That guy had far from a perfect swing but all day long he was hitting shots that went high and far but still landed nice and soft.

Im not sure that Im ready for a full set of Altitudes but Id probably go with hybrids to replace the 3-5 irons.  Thats the setup I have right now with my Nike Slingshot HLs and I really like it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I didn't buy the 588 Altitude because I had problems getting the ball in the air. As I mentioned it was after reading reviews from low handicap golfers that the clubs felt more iron like than hybrid. More than one mentioned that if you could do a blindfold test it would be difficult to tell the difference between the Altitude and the TT on well struck shots. Which I found to be true, the steel shafts and shorter length are all iron. It's all about the iron feel, consistency and forgiveness for me. I liked my AMP Cell hybrids but there were times the ball ballooned or pop up, tough to do that with an iron. To hit it really bad really requires total swing implosion, something like a topped shot where it dives directly into the ground. Otherwise even shot that don't feel quite right fly in the intended direction with little loss of distance. Because of the strong lofts I went with 4-6, which is really 3-5. Though I wish they offered a 1 iron. That could be a very cool thing.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all to your responses the clubs mentioned were way out of my price range so went with pinemeadow excel strong hybrids 2-pw. They be here in a week and a half ill let u all know how they play.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

• 4 weeks later...

Ok finally got the clubs yesterday got out with them today...only got 3-pw as they were sound out of the 2.  My distance seemed better than with irons but ive been experimenting between split grip and interlocking ( more distance with interlocking but with a bad slice, straight but short with a chance of hitting down to hard with split).  Altogether id have to say i like them, ill comment more later on as i get more experience with them.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Ok ive had some time to play a few rounds with these new clubs. First observation is that I am getting more distance, but feel i could be getting more if the balls flight wasnt so high. I hit a pitching wedge the other day and it went just as high in the air as it did length wise. Some of that has to do though with me hitting up on the hybrids as compared to trying to hit down on the irons. Did shoot best round so far with them though.

NIke VRS covert

Mini driver 14 degree

Nike covert 5 wood

taylormade sldr 4 hybrid

Taylormade atv  56,60,64

Jpl Putter

Nxt tour s yellow

Note: This thread is 3858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!