IGNORED

2013 Barclay's Championship Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's been a good year for Scott. I don't understand why Tiger keeps on sleeping on soft mattresses, this has happened before. He should be able to figure out if it's good or not before sleeping there, and making arrangements if needed.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the only thing is tiger plays trough an injury and nearly wins and has won also. Stop picking at the guy. still leads the way.

And doubt if he will loose his no.1 position.

Why is Scott having a great season with 1 major and 1 PGA win? Tiger has won 5 times this season and was right there in 3 out of 4 majors.

It's not that i'm a big fan off Tiger but He just is the best player out there. STOP HATING the guy and enjoy him play golf

• Upvote 2

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

the only thing is tiger plays trough an injury and nearly wins and has won also. Stop picking at the guy. still leads the way. And doubt if he will loose his no.1 position. Why is Scott having a great season with 1 major and 1 PGA win? Tiger has won 5 times this season and was right there in 3 out of 4 majors. It's not that i'm a big fan off Tiger but He just is the best player out there. STOP HATING the guy and enjoy him play golf

One minor point: it was Adam Scott, not Tiger, who was in the picture at three majors this year. In addition to his Masters win, Scott had top five finishes at both the Open and PGA; Tiger was nowhere near contention at Merion or Oak Hill. Tiger's still the player of the year at this moment, but Scott's making his case. I think a major and the FedEx Cup trumps Tiger's five wins in achievement, so Scott, Rose, and Mickelson all helped their causes at the Barclays; then again, so did Tiger.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Look, I'm the biggest Tiger fan in the world. And I'm not saying that he wasn't hurt. I'm saying that he played up the severity of it on that shot. Trust me, I'm a tall guy and have had my share of back issues, to the extent where I can hardly breathe when it seizes. In that shape, you can't make a swing. That wasn't the case with Tigs.

Colin P.

This, is a spasm...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

You guys have apparently never had back spasms. They can render you feeling awfully helpless and in tremendous pain.

I don't think he played it up. They come and go. That was a huge rip with a 3W. Every swing after that was shorter/easier.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by colin007

Look, I'm the biggest Tiger fan in the world. And I'm not saying that he wasn't hurt. I'm saying that he played up the severity of it on that shot. Trust me, I'm a tall guy and have had my share of back issues, to the extent where I can hardly breathe when it seizes. In that shape, you can't make a swing. That wasn't the case with Tigs.

Lets see...No, I think I'll go by my own experiences (and more than my share of injuries) and go with there's not another person in the world that knows exactly how any injuries feel. Even the "same" injury often isn't the same at all.

Was Tiger faking? Hell I don't have a clue. Only he would know that.

I had to walk off of the mound in a baseball game one time after a guy hit a home run off of me. On the pitch I pulled a muscle in my right calf and couldn't push off of the mound. Some "experts" in the stands of course said it was because I gave up the home run. Of course they didn't have a clue, and coming out of the game was the LAST thing I ever wanted to do. I've even stayed in the game with broken fingers, torn knee ligaments, severe sprains and much worse, but I couldn't go with a "simple" pulled muscle.

Ok, reading comprehension. Did I say he wasn't hurt? No. I said *I think* he played it up a bit after he hit that horrible shot. I believe 100% that his back was bothering him. Did it really drop him to his knees? That's what I'm not so sure about...

Colin P.

People thought Tiger was playing up the injury in June 08 as well. Turns out he played 91 holes on a broken leg. I'm proud of Tiger for gutting it out and stunned that he nearly won.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by iacas

You guys have apparently never had back spasms. They can render you feeling awfully helpless and in tremendous pain.

I don't think he played it up. They come and go. That was a huge rip with a 3W. Every swing after that was shorter/easier.

I agree, I don't believe anyone saying he played up this incident ever truly had something that caused them real pain in their back. I have rods and pins in my back from when I broke it at 18. I can tell you right now I've made a bad swing that tweaked my back bad enough to almost drop me to the ground. If the wrong nerve gets pinched it'll buckle your knees in an instant. I bet most people would have quit right then and there also, instead of finishing out the round.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

D Don't know what your deal is. If he wants to display the extent of his injuries, why the heck can't he? So other guys dont do it, good for them. Maybe you need to take out the tampon you have on! If its embarrassing for you to watch, I'm sure te PGA won't miss your viewership if you simply turn it off.

Lol @ you being gotten to, and trying to scold me. Your assignment is to research the definition of HISTRIONIC, stay for detention, and write it on the blackboard 100 times. 3putter talks like he's the toughest virgin in his entire high school. PS - I did it for you. Kindly refer to definition two:

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

Lol @ you being gotten to, and trying to scold me. Your assignment is to research the definition of HISTRIONIC, stay for detention, and write it on the blackboard 100 times.

3putter talks like he's the toughest virgin in his entire high school.

PS - I did it for you. Kindly refer to definition two:

I should just let you be

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

And your assignment Infamous 123 should be to look up the definition of "sanctimonious".  We hardly see other players wince because they are never on camera to the degree that Woods is.  They would follow him into the toilet if they could.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yeah, the only difference was the way he reacted - unlike any player I've seen who was playing through an injury. Poor form, and embarrassing to watch. His histrionics are beyond stale.

Originally Posted by colin007

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I agree, I don't believe anyone saying he played up this incident ever truly had something that caused them real pain in their back. I have rods and pins in my back from when I broke it at 18. I can tell you right now I've made a bad swing that tweaked my back bad enough to almost drop me to the ground. If the wrong nerve gets pinched it'll buckle your knees in an instant. I bet most people would have quit right then and there also, instead of finishing out the round.

This times 1000.  If you've never had back spasms or pinched nerves in your back, then (and I say this as politely as possible) ... shut the f**k up.  I saw that shot on replay, the one where he fell to his knees, and my first thought was "Ooh, sucks for him.  I know exactly how he feels right now."  Trust me, and Jeremie, and MS, and iacas, when we say that this is a perfectly feasible reaction to back pain.  Everything about the day for him I sympathized (not empathized, sympathized) with.  When he picked up tees while awkwardly bending at the knees instead of the waist, when they showed him sitting on the bench next to a tee with abnormally straight up posture, all of that.  There was nothing "fake" about any of that yesterday.  Otherwise, that was a Daniel Day Lewis type performance.

Another thing:  If Tiger was playing it up for the cameras/audience, that would mean that he cares what we think.  When has he ever given off the impression (consider post round interviews especially) that he gives a crap what we think of him?

And lastly, I must admit that I have, in the past, been on the other side of this.  I don't remember which thread it was, or which tournament it was, but the subject of him playing up injuries (while playing poorly, mind you) has come up, and I definitely wondered if there may have been something to it.  I change my mind.  Based on this weekend, I now believe that I was wrong then.  And as Ron Savage pointed out several posts back ... why would he be faking (or playing up) an injury while playing well?  That just doesn't make sense.  You don't need an excuse when you are playing well.

When I took golf seriously and hit too many balls (the late '90's), I had a couple of back spasms towards the end of the swing. I hit the ground when no one was around.

Tiger is fortunate his pain is a spasm and not something wrong with the lower back - muscle relaxants and lots of water can help a spasm. But a few sessions with a masseuse, and he should be ready (hold the waffle house women and masseuse jokes, please).

As to his histrionics, I'll give a guy who is soon to be the all-time PGA Tour Champ in terms of number of events won - the benefit of the doubt.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Yeah, the only difference was the way he reacted - unlike any player I've seen who was playing through an injury. Poor form, and embarrassing to watch. His histrionics are beyond stale.

Have you ever had a back spasm? It's temporarily crippling. It feels like someone just stuck a knife in the muscle.

(Edit: I should have read the posts above before hitting submit. Good to know there are others in agreement.)

Sad to read people accusing Tiger of faking injuries.  He played a great tournament and was in contention for a playoff.  He just didn't make it.

For anyone that has not had a back spasm or cramps etc it is hard to comprehend how it feels.  Pain is pain, and it clogs up your nervous system and affects everything from your train of thought to your walk to your golf swing.

I hope Tiger gets to feeling better and healing up because it is no fun to see him plagued by injuries.  It's robbing me of some good TV golf.

Note: This thread is 3886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!