IGNORED

Playing fast? New to golf, Austin TX

morssolis
Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First, hello

I am new to golf and started playing about 6 weeks ago. I hit at the range about 5 times a week and have now played about 7 rounds in the last 2 weeks. I do not keep score but normally get a few pars, and a putt for birde (i always miss) a few times a round. So what I mean is, I can get the ball in the air and in the general direction it needs to go.

I have been playing at a local muni where I get a half off price after 4pm. Every day I go though, the course is filled. I try to play as a single, and if I do, I cant even play through because there is a group everywhere on the course. It takes 4.5 hours a round with a group or without. On a very hot day, and probably some luck, I was able to play an open course and finished in about 2-2.5 hours.

A 4.5 hours round with a random group is sometimes fun, other times not so much. Either way, it takes way too long.

I am starting graduate school at UT this coming week, and I will simply not have the time to play 2 rounds of 4.5 hour golf a week. I will have time to play 2-2.5 hour golf several times a week though.

My question is: when is the best time to play on the weekdays ( I assume less busy) and how can I play quickly as a single? If the course is filled my understanding is that there is no way to play a quick round. I also do not have a lot of spare cash to be paying premium tee times.

I am new to this sport and it is frustrating the crap out of me because of the time.

I have played enough already to know that it does not need to take a foursome 4.5 hours to play a round. This happens because people are idiots. How is sitting at the side of the green, while i am wait to tee off, the time to be counting strokes and recording scores? How do I get through a par 3 and the foursome in front of me has only hit 2 tee shots? Why does everyone need to mark their ball when its not an obstacle? Why can people on opposite sides of the fairway / hole not hit and take a practice swing at the same time? I see the golf course as just that, a place to play golf, not a social get together, not a vacation, or a leisurely stroll through the grass.

I have been placed in groups where they actually say something to me about playing "ready golf". Sorry but my time is more valuable than waiting for you to walk to your ball just to follow the proper rules. One guy would use a distance finder for every shot.

Any advice on how to play quickly is appreciated. I would love to continue playing through school.

Thanks

since u are a beginner, why not just pitch and putt some. I remember butler's pitch n putt behind the Wendy's on s Lamar use to be, $12 all day - that was years ago though. its w riverside and Lamar down by auditorium shores. if ur going to UT there's a bus that runs by - its the Barton creek one. plus its not a bad bike ride. I don't know how busy it is anymore but I use to play there a lot. its good for wedges and putters. I think I use to take a pw, 9, putter and a 7 for one longer hole. or u could deloft ur 9 and just take that n a putter. if u just want to quickly work on ur short game n putting, it'll do.

Early or late.  First thing in the morning.....and I mean FIRST thing.  Ask what the first tee time is and there's no one ahead of you.  Late in the evening is just as easy.  Back 2.5 hours up from sunset and go then.  Most golfers won't even think about going out that late because they can't understand that it's possible to get through 18 holes that fast.  The only issue you might run into is the after work crowd trying to get in 9 holes.......again, because they're incapable of playing 18 at a reasonable pace.

Welcome to the forum!    I don't care how many times you hit the ball, if you can get around in 2:30, you're welcome in my group any time.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

David's suggestions are great, but they are as good as it gets.  Sometimes you just have to wait.  I try to sneak some in after work some days and face the same problem.  Maybe play 9 sometimes if you can't get 18.

Sucks, don't it? I run into this all the time. The only suggestion I have is to ask the pro shop what are typically the least busy times. Not all courses are the same - some are really busy early, some get crowded after work. I usually have good luck on weekday afternoons. One trick I do is tee off an hour before twilight starts - thinking that a lot of guys would just wait for the twilight rate. It's a crap shoot though - it only takes 2 slow groups in front of you to make your round take a long time.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

David's suggestions are great, but they are as good as it gets.  Sometimes you just have to wait.  I try to sneak some in after work some days and face the same problem.  Maybe play 9 sometimes if you can't get 18.

I agree with this. Also, for me it has helped to pickup a buddy that likes to play. I would venture to say 80% of my rounds are as a two-some. It helps break up the agonizingly slow pace if you have a friend there to also hit, but moreso just to chat with. If you get stuck behind a slow group, it's just going to take a while (assuming they won't let you play through.) I've found that adding one extra person really doesn't slow my round down much either if the course is fairly empty.

Note: This thread is 3896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!