IGNORED

Do you lose anything with the "easy to hit" hynrid.

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am fairly new to the game and have been doing a little research on hybrids. There are many claims that they are forgiving and easy to hit. First of all is this true? Have you found them that much easier to hit than a long iron? Do you lose anything for what you could potentially gain? With most things in life you cant have it all! As a very high handicap player would you play hybrids with the intention of someday returning to long irons? Thanks in advance! !!

Hybrids are easier to hit for the vast majority of golfers.  They fly higher and further and land softer than the equivalent iron.

I'll never return to long irons.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While they are easier to hit for the majority of golfers than irons, within the hybrid category, some are easier than others. Others are more demanding.

You must demo - Since hybrids have made their debut, manufacturers began lengthening shafts, making them more difficult to hit well.

Demo.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Hybrids are easier to hit because the weighting makes it easier to get the ball up in the air (their design wants to hit the ball higher) and their rounded leading edge makes them not dig into the turf as much.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

i can muff a hybrid as well as any long iron, i guess it just depends on ones swing.

however i do hit my cobra 20 degree fairly well more often than not. since you can get used hybrids so cheap why not try one. here's a link to 2ndswing.com . you could get a 2h, 3h, and 4h for like 60 bucks. If i still lived in the states i'd be all over that site, but since their shipping is  to australia is high, well unless you bulk order, i use other sites.

When you are ready to fades and draws the long irons might be preferred. I am not saying that you can't hit those shots with hybrids. I just find a 3 or 4 iron easier to control. On windy days the lower trajectory of long irons might be an advantage. The down side is that it is more difficult to hold a green with long irons unless you can hit them pretty high.
  • Upvote 1

I have to work at hitting my hybrid. When I do hit it well, it feels great, and excellent results are produced, but I for some reason or other, am  just not that confident with it.  It may because of the club itself, it is a Callaway Diablo 4H with a senior flex and I am thinking that has a lot to do with it as most of my others are much stiffer.  I recently took it out of the bag and opted to replace it with a 4 wood persimmon, but have not taken that to the course yet.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Thanks guys very good stuff! I have hit a d am trying to keep myself from pulling the trigger on the adams v3 hybrid iron set!! I want it but I cant decide if I think I need them or just want new stuff! Probably just want a shiny new toy but I guess thats what we do right!?

Thanks guys very good stuff! I have hit a d am trying to keep myself from pulling the trigger on the adams v3 hybrid iron set!! I want it but I cant decide if I think I need them or just want new stuff! Probably just want a shiny new toy but I guess thats what we do right!?

Take a look for the Nickent 3dx hybrids. Very easy to hit. They're out of production now, but you can still find them new online for next to nothing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Do you lose anything? Personally if I had a 3,4 or 5 hybrid I'd lose alil respect and possible some of my man hood :) just joking I currently have a set with a 3,4 and 5 iron, looking to try some hybrids soon when I decide to get fitted and get my first new set

Originally Posted by Machmood

Do you lose anything? Personally if I had a 3,4 or 5 hybrid I'd lose alil respect and possible some of my man hood :)

You might lose your ego too. :)

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I carry 2 hybrids in the bag....(the ones in my avatar pic ). Most people I know have at least one in the bag. I have a 19 degre Wilson Pro Staff and a 22 degree deep red and they both hit pure off the carpet. Definitely demo before buying though you can save a chunk of,change by doing so. Heck even Alien makes a decent hybrid.

An old pro once told me this....."No matter what youre going through in life....Never sell your golf clubs."

I can work the ball with hybrid just as well as I do with iron. The only thing I lose with hybrid is hitting out of rough.   I should be able to but something about hybrid makes me reluctant to hit down on the ball as much.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

You have to blend hybrids into your mix of clubs. Pay attention to shaft weight. Driver shaft is normally lightest, FW slightly heavier, and hybrids slightly heavier still.

If  your Hs end up with lighter shafts than your FWs, you might have trouble feeling the H club "at the top" and dropping it into the slot consistently.

Note that different models of clubheads launch the ball differently. Initially I couldn't hit a hybrid to save my life, but I was just trying the wrong hybrids. Since then, I have found Callaway, Adams, Wilson, and Tour Edge Hs that I can hit quite well.

Also, consider mixing Hybrids with higher lofted 5W, 7W and 9W. Lots of enhancements in FWs the last two years. It just depends on what works.

I carry a 4W and 7W, and a 4H. The 7W carries about 200 yds., is great out of medium rough and for shots to elevated greens; the 4H carries about 185 yds., launches a bit lower, and is hotter out of light rough.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks guys! I checked my swing speed today at dicks to try to get an idea of what flex I would need. It was higher than I expected. With a driver the first few swings were high seventies to low eighties and then jumped and stayed in the mid nineties. What flex should I look for for the different clubs?

Mid 90s is kind of in between regular and stiff.  You could use either.  I was told that the general rule is to hit the most flexible shaft that you can control.

Mid 90s is kind of in between regular and stiff.  You could use either.  I was told that the general rule is to hit the most flexible shaft that you can control.

I was also told this, then I was told if you are on the cusp of flexes, go stiff, as this will be easier to control, and still allow you to work on raising your swing speed! I chose stiff, and Im hitting em straight, but there's some voice in my head keep asking me if I'd hit longer with a reg? And there's another voice telling me straighter is better than longer! As long as I don't listen to these voices I'm happy!

Gaz Lee

I would take straight over longer any day!! So say I choose stiff would I want a regular driver and possibly fairways and stiff the rest of the way out? I tried pings website and it said lite flex driver but I have no idea of my handicap which it asks and not sure how far my driver goes due to inconsistency.?

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!