IGNORED

Fell in love with the short game

Stargaze
Note: This thread is 3885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for about 3 years now.  The first couple of years I played maybe 12 times, this past year I've been playing as often as I can, maybe 14 or 16 times so far this year.  I got an unlimited range pass at my local golf course and made the decision to work almost exclusively on my short game.  So I spent hours and hours with a wedge in my hand, then over to the practice green to putt for hours and hours.  You get the idea.

I play my 2 buddies from work and blow them away.  I was making GIR's left and right, birdie opportunities that I never had before.  I honestly no longer care all that much about the driver, I care much more now about my irons and especially my game inside 90 yards of the pin.  It really makes a world of difference.

I'm not sure I totally understand.  I think of short game as something that you have to use if you don't get the GIR - not something that gets you the GIR.  If all of your approach shots are within the 90 yards you mentioned, I'd say you have a very good long game and that is the reason you are killing your friends.

Having said that, I also like short game.  Feel confident when chipping.  But I think it is just because it always came easier to me than long game.  I never practice it.  Given the chance, I'd like to be a guy who crushed it off the tee.  But since I'm not, yeah - I like short game.

One of the guys in our group certainly loved the "short game" today.

He chipped in from 50 yards on the drivable par 4 first hole for an eagle, chipped in from 10 yards for par on the seventh, and chipped in from 60 yards on the par 5 eighth hole for another eagle. He uses one of those chipping irons that looks like a cross between a putter and a hybrid.

Unfortunately I left a birdie putt 1 inch short and in the middle on the fourth hole, left an eagle putt 3 inches short and in the middle on the eighth hole, and missed the island green last hole from only 110 yards resulting in a bogey...And our team only lost by one stroke.

Bummer!!!

I've been playing for about 3 years now.  The first couple of years I played maybe 12 times, this past year I've been playing as often as I can, maybe 14 or 16 times so far this year.  I got an unlimited range pass at my local golf course and made the decision to work almost exclusively on my short game.  So I spent hours and hours with a wedge in my hand, then over to the practice green to putt for hours and hours.  You get the idea.

You have figured out how to practice for posting low scores. Getting up and down for par from off the green and eliminating three putts are crucial for developing a consistent game.

I think a good short game is obviously key to posting low scores and not many people will argue with that.  Actually, all the facts point to it, as you can easily pull the statistics of the top 10 in driving distance & top ten in Fairway% vs. the rank of those that have won the tournaments this past year.  I'm sure the more telling statistic is going to be the GIR% & putting stroke average & winning tournaments.

Sorry, couldn't pull those stats for ya.a

Regards,

Abu3baid

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I think a good short game is obviously key to posting low scores and not many people will argue with that.  Actually, all the facts point to it, as you can easily pull the statistics of the top 10 in driving distance & top ten in Fairway% vs. the rank of those that have won the tournaments this past year.  I'm sure the more telling statistic is going to be the GIR% & putting stroke average & winning tournaments.

Sorry, couldn't pull those stats for ya.a

Regards,

Abu3baid

Yeah the thing that got me was that hitting a nice used to be the highlight of each hole.  But then after doing that, hosing up the approach shots and then putting 4 times just drove me crazy.  Now...I don't give a damn so much about a crushing drive.  I care more about getting the ball on the green with one shot [approach] and then putting once or twice.  That is much more satisfying.

I would argue Driving the ball well (not necessarily 300 yards but 230+) is AS important as the "short game".

I can save 8 strokes putting, but if I put three balls out of bounds or in the bush with my driver I am in the same spot.  If I am only hitting the ball 170, I am not going to hit par 4s in 2.  Of course this is less relevant if you play wide open or short course.

Ya need both to score.

I say this as someone who is concentrating on his short game and was able to shave an average of 9 putts a round.

I agree with Lyndon. you could be the best putter on earth but, if you are 1 putting for a 9 because you blew two balls ob whats the point. To me nothing else really matters if you cant put it in play off the tee.

Note: This thread is 3885 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!