IGNORED

My Swing (AJ-0704)

AJ-0704
Note: This thread is 3866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 98

My typical ball flight is: Low

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Low hook

I am really struggling with my driver and regularly hit low hooks. I cant even slice the ball when i try my hardest to do so and if i hit a good drive its always got draw on it.

Can anyone give me any tips or instruction as to what looks like is wrong or could be wrong.

• Administrator

Your video is private.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That ball is coming off pretty low to me. With driver, you might want to try positioning different places. I like teeing it high and much more forward than I think you have it. Catch the ball on the upswing more. I also turn a bit to the right of target since my club will be past bottom of arc and coming back left a bit. It's definitely helped get height and distance.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Also...When I tee it lower and further back, I get a lower flight and more of a draw (in to out swing giving hook spin), so I see your symptoms of low hooks fit what happens to me as I move my ball back. I'm sure swing experts will have you look at other things as well but ball position is always a factor, regardless of swing.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Yes, moving the ball forward, with the driver, is going to promote both higher shots and less right-to-left curve.

OP, where do you tee it relative to your left foot? Can't tell from the video.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Try moving it up to left instep.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Hello,

It looks to me like you are not really taking a swing, but more like trying to push the ball to the direction you are trying to send it.  You seem like you are just tense the whole time.

Take a look below and compare your positions to Fred Couples one of the more fluid hitters in the game.

The first thing I want you to notice is the position of your right arm at the top of your swing.  It's almost like you are trying to keep it tight to your body on purpose.  Look at Fred and the 90 degrees that is formed at the top of his swing?  The next is look at your position at the end of your swing and where your hips are pointing and compare it to Fred where he completely just lets it go and momentum automatically takes him to that position.

What I think you should work on for starters (and I am no expert, just speaking from my own experiences), I want you to feel what a real swing feels like.  So, just flip that driver around and I want you to whip it like a whip and I want you to hear that swoosh sound of the whip.  Forget the ball, just try and make that snapping swoosh sound while holding the driver backwards.  just forget about mechanics and everything that has to do with a golf swing and just try to make the loudest sound possible and then try and make a louder sound with the next one.  Just see how that feels and then I want you to compare it to your swing now and the sound you are making.  Let me know how that goes and we can discuss.'

Abu3baid

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Wow i realised i had a tense swing but never worried too much because i do hit the ball relatively long but looking at the angle of that right arm its just shocking. No wonder i cant slice the ball even when i try as if i keep that same swing it would be almost impossible from that position to get an outside to in swing. Great spot and thanks for the help i really appreciate it.

All the advice here is free, but not all of it is equally valuable. Be a cautious consumer.

Stretch.

All the advice here is free, but not all of it is equally valuable. Be a cautious consumer. ;-)

For instance, have you tried farting from A6-A7? Apparently it's all the rage. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

All the advice here is free, but not all of it is equally valuable. Be a cautious consumer. ;-)

Yes, I agree.. However I think we are all mostly learning and the beautiful thing about golf in my opinion is that you can try out any tip and if it doesn't work out you can just move on to the next tip.. I think we all need to be cautious for sure!

Eyad

Actually looking at this article and speaking with some members on here i am not so sure it is a really major flaw being so bent with the right elbow. I think i have a flat swing and on my downswing i come really under plane.

It looks as if i need to start my arms going before my body a touch more to bring the club back in the correct plane.

Article link:

http://blog.ubersense.com/2013/01/03/golf-swing-analysis-down-the-line-view/

Originally Posted by AJ-0704

Actually looking at this article and speaking with some members on here i am not so sure it is a really major flaw being so bent with the right elbow. I think i have a flat swing and on my downswing i come really under plane.

It looks as if i need to start my arms going before my body a touch more to bring the club back in the correct plane.

Article link:

http://blog.ubersense.com/2013/01/03/golf-swing-analysis-down-the-line-view/

I wasn't saying that you had a swing flaw because of where your elbow position was.  I was just trying to point out that you seemed constricted from the time you get to the back of the swing till the time you release the club after you hit the ball.  That's why I suggested that you try the turn the driver around drill (or what ever it's called http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOFnJFPL2x4 )

I just want you to feel what it feels like to swing freely with very relaxed muscles, because from your video it looks like you are very tense from the top and thru the release.  This drill is something that I feel has helped me greatly in moving more towards a real swing (which I am still working on of course :) )

Thanks and sorry if none of this advise applies to you.

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!