IGNORED

Driver & Iron Set up

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

Hope someone could assist me with some input.

I havent played in quite some time but getting back into it, never been an amazing golfer but play it socially.

So decided its time for new clubs, headed down to the pro shop here in South Africa to begin the quest.

This is what they suggested based on budget/swing speed/handicap etc

Cleveland CG 16

Callaway Razr X

I Was hitting both of them really well, about 170-190 yards with the 7 iron... they both felt quite nice! the reviews online have also been great!

I was wondering how they would compare to the Taylormade RBZ? they didnt have that in stock at 2 shops so never got to try them out, but from what i see its a very similar club?

Like i said i have a fast swing speed hence they suggested those clubs to me... could anyone shed some light on the matter?

Same now for the Drivers?

I tried out the

Callaway X-HOT

Cobra Amp

Taylormade R1

i felt comfy with the X-HOT 7 the R1 but the guys told me i would land up enjoying the X HOT more as i havent played in a while so my swing will improve and the R1 wont be good enough.

Saying that, could the R11 do the Job?

What are the thoughts on buying the "latest" clubs as opposed to a model from a year back or so?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Kyle

CG16 and Razr.X are comparable irons. Among the Golf Digest Hot List categories, both rate as very user-friendly Game Improvement irons. (GI is category between Super Game Improvement, and Player's irons).

I play Callaway X20 Tour irons (a couple of years earlier), and have hit both the CG16 and Razr.X at multiple demo days. Both of these have moderate offset, which will encourage good hand position for your set-up. Both felt good, and get the ball up without having a super large head.

If I remember correctly, the CG16 would offer a bit more variety in its stock shafts; most RazrX came with the M10 flighted Uniflex steel shaft: a midkick  (mid-launch) shaft that falls between R and S flex; average weight about 110 grams. (Flighting means you get a little more launch boost on the longer irons, and a little less launch angle on the short irons to prevent the shots from ballooning.) Not everyone likes Uniflex, but it works fine for golfers with decent clubhead speed.

As for your 7i distances: is this outdoors, or is this indoors on a launch monitor? (Sometimes shops set the LM so that it exaggerates the distance).

As for the TM RBZ, these clubs have very strong lofts. I personally don't care for the RBZ family irons. In a Christmas Rocketbladz Challenge , my X20.Tours had better distance the RBLZ. The original RBZ irons had stock shafts a bit on the light side - I couldn't feel much at the top.

As for driver, the X.Hot would probably be better for than the R11 or R1.  After your game comes back you might try for a more Tour-style driver, but for right now go for reliable. With your current swing, the R family would deliver more pain than gain.

For both irons and drivers, make sure the shafts fit your swing speed and get the ball launched well. The shafts are half the club!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cleveland CG16 are quality irons, I would go with those. As for a driver I would give the Callaway Optiforce 460 a try if you can, very long and forgiving

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

Thanks for the reply firstly. I actually meant rocketballz not the bladez, they said the bladez wud be similar to the burner 2.0 for me which was a bit too light? Think i need to go test them out and see whats potting, I hear you about the driver but inwas hitting the R1 much better then the x hot which is whats bugging me as well, especially since im only getting back into it now the R1 offers change to the club head tp help me fpr the time being? I will check the Callaway optiforce dont think its arrived here as of yet!

I can only comment on the drivers.

In my opinion, the most friendly of the three is the XHot. I doubt if the loft stamped on the head is accurate - it may be up to 1.5 degrees higher, so you must demo the one you buy or at least have a decent club maker measure the loft. The stock shaft is smooth feeling although it is called weak to flex. The head, though, gets the ball up nice and long with a pleasing sensation. Demo to find the right flex and loft.

The R1 is more demanding although it is the most adjustable - if you strike the ball well but the swing is changing, it's a good choice due to the adjustability. It is a lower spin head. The stock shaft is just OK, and the feel/sound of the driver is not the best. I had a club maker add hot melt to soften up the feel/sound.

The R11 was not known as a friendly driver. I would avoid.

At the same time, I avoid stock setups. I don't think you get the most out of your driver unless it is fit to you, and that means changes to the retail club.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I forgot to add that the stock shaft options in the Optiforce are very good, "after market quality" shafts, no brand printing or anything like that.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

Originally Posted by Kyle Alroy

Thanks for the reply firstly.

I actually meant rocketballz not the bladez, they said the bladez wud be similar to the burner 2.0 for me which was a bit too light?

Think i need to go test them out and see whats potting,

I hear you about the driver but inwas hitting the R1 much better then the x hot which is whats bugging me as well, especially since im only getting back into it now the R1 offers change to the club head tp help me fpr the time being?

I will check the Callaway optiforce dont think its arrived here as of yet!

The Optiforce does not work for everyone.

I went on a LM with both Optiforces in hand, and a stock R1 - all with R flex shaft, 10.5 loft.

The R1 was 20 yards longer in carry.

Go figure.

Light doesn't work for everyone. But given that I swing at 88-93 mph with Driver with a mid tempo, I thought it would work for me. Remember to Demo and Compare.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

The Optiforce does not work for everyone.

I went on a LM with both Optiforces in hand, and a stock R1 - all with R flex shaft, 10.5 loft.

The R1 was 20 yards longer in carry.

Go figure.

Light doesn't work for everyone. But given that I swing at 88-93 mph with Driver with a mid tempo, I thought it would work for me. Remember to Demo and Compare.

That interesting! I did the same thing but I had the Optiforce with the stiff 62g shaft and it was 15 yards further than R1. It was also the 440 ( which I ended up getting) which is heavier so I can't comment on the 460 I guess. Weird the game of golf...

Originally Posted by GingerGolfer

That interesting! I did the same thing but I had the Optiforce with the stiff 62g shaft and it was 15 yards further than R1. It was also the 440 ( which I ended up getting) which is heavier so I can't comment on the 460 I guess. Weird the game of golf...

You just never know.

Weird, yet fascinating old school game...

Id go with an Adams tight lies set which is a GI set without the oversized heads....As for a driver you should look for something with more loft, a shorter length (44 inch), and a lighter flex which all would give you more control as a high hdcp player and then gradually work your way up with equipment as your game improves. Check out the Tour Edge line of drivers or the Macgregor V Foil.

An old pro once told me this....."No matter what youre going through in life....Never sell your golf clubs."

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I can only comment on the drivers.

In my opinion, the most friendly of the three is the XHot. ... The stock shaft is smooth feeling although it is called weak to flex. The head, though, gets the ball up nice and long with a pleasing sensation. Demo to find the right flex and loft. ...

Interesting to know. At demo day, I hit the S flex just as well as the R, even though I play R flex in my current non-wedge clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!