IGNORED

any of these guys still around?

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure how long ago it was, but I recall seeing on the Seniors Tour a couple of players that seemed at the time to be enjoying a hot streak.  I was not as familiar with tour players names at the time, but I think one of them was XXXX Toms. (cant even remember the first name).  He wore a large white hat much in the manner of Chi Chi Rodriguez. Smoked cigars. There were three or four that seemed to dominate at the time. I am mildly curious as to what became of them.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Certainly not David Toms.  You may be thinking of Jim Thorpe.  He had a "slight" problem with the IRS, and was off the Champions Tour for several years.  He is back now, I think.

no, not David Toms. These were old guys (even then). Pretty sure name was Toms, but I could very well be mistaken. I tried googling and all I came up with was David Toms.  Maybe a search of his bio might reveal a relative, grand father, Uncle, ???  Caucasian, white hair, beard (I think). Oh, well, not that important.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Big hat, smoked cigars? 1992 US Senior Open winner Larry Laoretti fits that description.

Jim Colbert was another golfer who played well on the senior tour for a long time, and he always wore a floppy hat. (I don't have any memory of him smoking cigars, though.)

One more: 1993 Senior PGA champion Tom Wargo. Big hat, mustache.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Jim Colbert was another golfer who played well on the senior tour for a long time, and he always wore a floppy hat. (I don't have any memory of him smoking cigars, though.)

One more: 1993 Senior PGA champion Tom Wargo. Big hat, mustache.

Bingo!      Wargo fits the bill.  I don't even know why I was remembering that. For some reason the picture of he and 2 others came to mind.  Tom was first name, not the last. Unless there was somebody at the time who played with him. Again, not important, just one of those things that drives you crazy for not remembering.

"James"

• Administrator

So, to answer your question, the guy's like 90 now and people like Fred Couples have graduated to the senior circuit, so he's not really around on the Champions Tour. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

too bad. I l enjoyed watching those guys back then. Tournaments just seemed so laid back (some might say boring), but for some reason more entertaining (for me).

"James"

Originally Posted by iacas

So, to answer your question, the guy's like 90 now . . .

He'll be 71 in September. A far cry from 90.

He also won the Senior British Open in 1994, and he received the PGA Club Professional-of-the-Year award in 1992. Tied for 28th in the 1992 PGA (his best finish in a tour event) the year before he started on the Senior Tour. Didn't start playing golf until he was 25.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Bobtrumpet

He'll be 71 in September. A far cry from 90.

He also won the Senior British Open in 1994, and he received the PGA Club Professional-of-the-Year award in 1992. Tied for 28th in the 1992 PGA (his best finish in a tour event) the year before he started on the Senior Tour. Didn't start playing golf until he was 25.

My point was that asking if "any of these guys are still around" is an odd question to ask of golfers on the Champions Tour from the early 1990s… 20 years ago. If they're "still around" they're highly unlikely to be "around" the Champions Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3887 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!