IGNORED

Player of the Year- Tiger, Scott, Phil, Rose, Dufner, Kuchar, Snedeker?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Tiger Woods is player of the year if the season ended today. Of course, there are three events yet to be played. Adam Scott or Phil Mickelson have arguments if they win the FedEx Cup; each are still at least one win away from achieving that. Kuchar, Rose, or Snedeker would have to run the table to even enter the discussion.

At least the other major trophies are more cut and dried. Jordan Spieth is the obvious choice for Rookie of the Year. The Comeback Player of the Year will be given out (read: the tour wouldn't have to give it to Tiger Woods based on their own criteria), and it will be awarded to Boo Weekley.

No love for Stenson?

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go Tiger or Phil.  Tiger's got an awful lot of wins, but the major and other wins are big too.  I don't see Adam in the running yet because he seems to have the exact same wins as Phil and similar top 10's - but MINUS the Scottish.

I realize that isn't an American event, but it breaks the tie for me.

Originally Posted by 3putter

No love for Stenson?

A compelling case for Stenson looking just at the numbers compared to Weekley.  In 2011, Stenson had a worse season than Weekley- of note, when he failed to qualify for the PGA, he went back to Sweden and finished 2nd in his Club Championship with a 228 (+12), one behind the winner.

Last season Weekley and Stenson both qualified for the 1st round of the playoffs, but failed to advance.

Stenson has won more $ than Weekley this year, done better in the majors and is ahead in the Fed Ex Cup standings, but hansn't won an event.  In addition to his win, Weekley I thought that Weekley had been derailed by some medical condition, but am having trouble finding the details.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Open to review.

I want to wait and see what Phil and Scott do in the next three weeks but, right now, it has to be Tiger.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MEfree

Money is a key element- after all these guys are professional golfers, so they are not just playing for pride.  Not coincidentally, the best players tend to show up at the tournaments that offer the most money.,  Yes, the PGA and Players attracts great fields, but so do the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs.  If the playoffs did not offer more $, then many of the top guys like Tiger and Phil would be shutting it down after the PGA and some of the Euro born players like Rory might not play a full schedule here.

No, the Fedex Cup is only open to members of the PGA Tour, which excludes any international player who does not choose to join the PGA Tour.  Just as the PGA Tour guys are not eligible to play in the Race to Dubai.  The WGCs are not restricted to players of only one tour.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

No, the Fedex Cup is only open to members of the PGA Tour, which excludes any international player who does not choose to join the PGA Tour.  Just as the PGA Tour guys are not eligible to play in the Race to Dubai.  The WGCs are not restricted to players of only one tour.

Scott got 74 OWGR points for winning the Barclays which is exactly the same as Kuchar got for winning the WGC Match Play and Tiger for winning the WGC Cadillac.  Points are awarded based on strength of field.  In this regard, the Fed Ex Cup has been a big success- which top 15 in the World is NOT a member of the PGA Tour?  Was this the case before the Fed Ex Cup?

Here are the ranking break down of the Barclays compared to the Euro Tour JW Championship

Number of World
Ranked Players
Participating
Top 5 5
Top 15 14
Top 30 24
Top 50 37
Top 100 65
Top 200 111

Number of World
Ranked Players
Participating
Top 5 0
Top 15 0
Top 30 0
Top 50 2
Top 100 11
Top 200 35

The lowest ranked competitor at the Barclays was #310 Steve Bowditch while the JW Championship had 92 guys ranked below Bowditch including 7 guys ranked 1564 (I believe that is tied for last with you, me and anyone else who does't have any OWGR points the last 2 years).

Assuming he does reasonably well in the remaining playoff events, I think Tiger is a lock for both UNLESS Phil or Adam win the FedEx Cup. I don't think just another win would do it for either Phil or Adam unless one of them does well enough and Tiger does poorly enough that they win the Cup. If Phil or Adam wins the Cup, then I think there will at the least be a split decision due to their Masters and Open wins.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by MEfree

Number of World

Ranked Players

Participating

Top 5

Top 15

Top 30

Top 50

Top 100

Top 200

Personally I think you've disproved your own theory here. Which was the last WGC event that was missing 13 of the top 50 players in the world?

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Personally I think you've disproved your own theory here. Which was the last WGC event that was missing 13 of the top 50 players in the world?

Which WGC event had 111 of the top 200?  I agree that the Players and PGA have stronger fields, but think it is debatable whether it is tougher to win an event with 125 players, 111 who are in the top 200 or an event that has 64 or 80 players, even if it includes most of the top 50.  The OWGR thinks they are equal and I tend to agree.

No love for Stenson?

[quote name="MEfree" url="/t/69530/player-of-the-year-tiger-scott-phil-rose-dufner-kuchar-snedeker#post_889545"]A compelling case for Stenson looking just at the numbers compared to Weekley.  In 2011, Stenson had a worse season than Weekley- of note, when he failed to qualify for the PGA, he went back to Sweden and finished 2nd in his Club Championship with a 228 (+12), one behind the winner. Last season Weekley and Stenson both qualified for the 1st round of the playoffs, but failed to advance. Stenson has won more $ than Weekley this year, done better in the majors and is ahead in the Fed Ex Cup standings, but hansn't won an event.  In addition to his win, Weekley I thought that Weekley had been derailed by some medical condition, but am having trouble finding the details. [/quote] It will probably be Weekley over Stenson for a few reasons. Stenson hasn't won a tournament this year; his tour status has never been in doubt, thanks to his five-year exemption for winning the 2009 Players; he's an international player, and only one foreigner has ever been named Comeback Player of the Year (Stuart Appleby in 2010); and his spell of poor form didn't last long enough for people to start wondering what happened to him. Weekley had a rotator cuff injury that ultimately led to him losing his card at the end of 2011. He made enough money off sponsor exemptions to regain his membership last year.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

It will probably be Weekley over Stenson for a few reasons. Stenson hasn't won a tournament this year; his tour status has never been in doubt, thanks to his five-year exemption for winning the 2009 Players; he's an international player, and only one foreigner has ever been named Comeback Player of the Year (Stuart Appleby in 2010); and his spell of poor form didn't last long enough for people to start wondering what happened to him.

Weekley had a rotator cuff injury that ultimately led to him losing his card at the end of 2011. He made enough money off sponsor exemptions to regain his membership last year.

Stenson eliminated your first reason toady- his spell of poor form was about the same length as Weekley and I believe he is married to an American.  He gets my vote.

I gladly concede that Stenson's now the comeback player of the year. No need for name-calling.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Hypothetically, if Stenson wins one of the next two playoff tournaments and walks away with the Fedex Cup...is he in contention for Player of the Year in your eyes?

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Hypothetically, if Stenson wins one of the next two playoff tournaments and walks away with the Fedex Cup...is he in contention for Player of the Year in your eyes?

He would have to win both of the next two events in my mind to be a consideration.  He has had a great summer but no other wins and both Scott and Day were two shots lower for the 4 majors combined.

Does anybody know the exact definition of the Player Of The Year?

I'm asking because I presume it's simply another way of saying MVP, which is simply another way of saying "the overall best player," in which case, disregard the rest of my post.

However, if it has a specific definition that perhaps could be interpreted as something a little different ... say, most REMARKABLE, and/or MEMORABLE season, I say we should give consideration to Jordan Spieth.

Scratch that.

I just went back and saw that Mefree posted the criteria for POY and that it's basically always the same as PGA of America POY, which is based on points ... so, for all intensive ;) purposes, an MVP.  Further, I noticed that they also have a Rookie of the Year award, and certainly Spieth will be winning that one, so no need to make a case for him to double up. :)

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!