IGNORED

Player of the Year- Tiger, Scott, Phil, Rose, Dufner, Kuchar, Snedeker?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hypothetically, if Stenson wins one of the next two playoff tournaments and walks away with the Fedex Cup...is he in contention for Player of the Year in your eyes?

Stenson would have 3 wins which is 30 points on the PGA of America point system.  Tiger has 60 points for wins on that system.  Stenson will finish behind Tiger on money and will most likely finish behind him on stroke average.  With a 30+ point deficit on the PGA of America points system, I cannot see him getting the vote of the players, considering that for over 20 years the same guy has win both POY awards.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stenson is looking very good, but I don't think 2 wins without a major is enough, even with the FEC title.

Tiger is not currently looking like the POY but I think he will take it with his 5 wins.  I suppose there is an outside shot for Scott still if he took the TC and FEC.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Looking at the (adjusted) Scoring Title, Stricker could take it by beating Woods by 8 shots this week.  Rose would need to make up 24 shots, Scott 25 and Stenson 33 to overtake Tiger.

from http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/09/23/player-of-the-year.html

The nominees for the Jack Nicklaus Award as the PGA TOUR Player of the Year are Matt Kuchar, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson and Tiger Woods.

Matt Kuchar

• Entered 23 events and won two times: World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship and the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance.
  • Finished sixth in the FedExCup.
  • Finished third on official money list ($5,616,808).
  • Recorded a total of eight top-10 finishes.

Phil Mickelson

• Entered 21 events and won two times: Waste Management Phoenix Open and The Open Championship.
  • Finished ninth in the FedExCup.
  • Recorded a total of seven top-10 finishes.
  • Finished fourth on official money list ($5,495,793).

Adam Scott

• Entered 16 events and won two times: Masters Tournament and The Barclays.
  • Finished fourth in the FedExCup.
  • Recorded a total of six top-10 finishes.
  • Finished sixth on official money list ($4,892,611).

Henrik Stenson

• Entered 18 events and won two FedExCup Playoffs events: Deutsche Bank Championship and the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.
  • With his wire-to-wire victory at the TOUR Championship, won the FedExCup.
  • Finished second on official money list ($6,388,230).

Tiger Woods

• Entered 16 events and won five times: Farmers Insurance Open, Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard, World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship, THE PLAYERS Championship and World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational.
  • Finished second in the FedExCup.
  • Winner of the Arnold Palmer Award as the TOUR’s leading official money winner ($8,553,439).

from http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/09/23/player-of-the-year.html

The nominees for the Jack Nicklaus Award as the PGA TOUR Player of the Year are Matt Kuchar, Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott, Henrik Stenson and Tiger Woods.

Matt Kuchar

Entered 23 events and won two times: World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship and the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance.

Finished sixth in the FedExCup.

Finished third on official money list ($5,616,808).

Recorded a total of eight top-10 finishes.

Phil Mickelson

Entered 21 events and won two times: Waste Management Phoenix Open and The Open Championship.

Finished ninth in the FedExCup.

Recorded a total of seven top-10 finishes.

Finished fourth on official money list ($5,495,793).

Adam Scott

Entered 16 events and won two times: Masters Tournament and The Barclays.

Finished fourth in the FedExCup.

Recorded a total of six top-10 finishes.

Finished sixth on official money list ($4,892,611).

Henrik Stenson

Entered 18 events and won two FedExCup Playoffs events: Deutsche Bank Championship and the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola.

With his wire-to-wire victory at the TOUR Championship, won the FedExCup.

Finished second on official money list ($6,388,230).

Tiger Woods

Entered 16 events and won five times: Farmers Insurance Open, Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard, World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship, THE PLAYERS Championship and World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational.

Finished second in the FedExCup.

Winner of the Arnold Palmer Award as the TOUR’s leading official money winner ($8,553,439).

Tiger also won the Vardon Trophy.

Rich - in name only

It's amazing how Stenson's 2nd and 3rd place finishes in the last 2 majors are rarely mentioned. If he could have just won one of them...

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Tiger also won the Vardon Trophy.

Yes, but Stricker won the Nelson award for low scoring average on the PGA Tour.  He didn't have enough rounds to qualify for the Vardon.  FWIW, I just copied and pasted from the PGA Tour website and did find it interesting what they focused on.  A win gets mentioned but Top 3s at majors get lumped in with regular top 10s.

It's amazing how Stenson's 2nd and 3rd place finishes in the last 2 majors are rarely mentioned. If he could have just won one of them...

I am torn between Tiger and Phil.  Tiger because of this seeming being a comeback year for him.  But I'd vote for Phil as I thought his win in the British Isles was a major achievement for him.  Scottish golf just isn't Phil's natural game and winning "The Open" a more noteworthy event than Tiger's comeback with no major.  But both these guy really put out some effort and deserve consideration.

Butch

I am torn between Tiger and Phil.  Tiger because of this seeming being a comeback year for him.  But I'd vote for Phil as I thought his win in the British Isles was a major achievement for him.  Scottish golf just isn't Phil's natural game and winning "The Open" a more noteworthy event than Tiger's comeback with no major.  But both these guy really put out some effort and deserve consideration.

I understand what you are saying.  If the vote was for "who had the best year for them" or "who is happiest with their season" then Tiger might not be in the top 10.

Phil would have merited more consideration as POY if he had finished stronger in the playoffs.  My prediction is that Tiger gets the nod from the players (which is in line with the PGA of America's points system which gives Tiger the award).

I think Player of the Year is supposed to measure the players against each other, not against their own past accomplishments.  On that basis Tiger is the CLEAR choice.  Phil should not get brownie points THIS year because of his PAST failures.

Rich - in name only

I think Player of the Year is supposed to measure the players against each other, not against their own past accomplishments.  On that basis Tiger is the CLEAR choice.  Phil should not get brownie points THIS year because of his PAST failures.

Exactly. If anyone OTHER than Tiger had the season that he's had, they'd be a shoe in for POtY.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Exactly. If anyone OTHER than Tiger had the season that he's had, they'd be a shoe in for POtY.

And I understand what you two are saying but I'd bet some that Tiger would trade all 5 of those victories for Phil's win of "The Open".  I don't know what a major win is worth Vs a regular tour win, but they both had great years.

Butch

And I understand what you two are saying but I'd bet some that Tiger would trade all 5 of those victories for Phil's win of "The Open".  I don't know what a major win is worth Vs a regular tour win, but they both had great years.

I agree, it can't be both ways.  Either Majors count more than regular wins or they don't.  I'd say Phil's Open win plus two other wins and 2nd at US Open, places him ahead of Tiger.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, it can't be both ways.  Either Majors count more than regular wins or they don't.  I'd say Phil's Open win plus two other wins and 2nd at US Open, places him ahead of Tiger.

Well, the people in charge feel otherwise. Tiger is the PotY.

Ryan M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Well, the people in charge feel otherwise. Tiger is the PotY.

??

He should be, but it will not be announced until Friday.  Unless you are talking about the points based PGA of America POY, which Tiger has has wrapped up for a while.
I think Doug Ferguson put it best regarding the PGATour POY:
Quote:
One final thought as it relates to Woods: If his record this year belonged to any other player, would this even be a debate?

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/numbers-say-woods-lock-for-player-of-year-2013/

Rich - in name only

??

He should be, but it will not be announced until Friday.  Unless you are talking about the points based PGA of America POY, which Tiger has has wrapped up for a while.

I think Doug Ferguson put it best regarding the PGATour POY:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/numbers-say-woods-lock-for-player-of-year-2013/

Ah, I saw this and got confused...

Ryan M

Ah, I saw this and got confused...

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/9/24/4763918/tiger-woods-2013-player-of-the-year-pga

Yea, it is pretty confusing with 2 different POY awards.

Rich - in name only

Technically, Phil's Scottish Open win does not count- no points with PGA of America and not listed with his PGA Tour accomplishments (but could have an influence on some voters, particularly those that played in the tournament).

Note: This thread is 3861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!