IGNORED

TST NorCal Golfers Outing

RPMPIRE
Note: This thread is 3499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

I would also consider the Nike Covert. I outhit both the Titleist 913D2 and D3 models and they also dropped the price a couple weeks ago.

Ended up with the Cobra Amp Cell set to a 10.5* draw.  He didn't even have me hit the Titleist because he told me that for an extra $200 it probably wasn't going to be worth it and I agreed.   Then I played at Diamond Oaks immediately after that and shot a 93 which isn't bad for me but I was hoping for better because I usually do well there.  I started out with an 8 and a 7 on the first two holes (par 4 and 5) which pretty much made me realize I wasn't beating my best score right away.  I tried to focus on having fun instead but it's difficult after starting with a quadruple bogey.  Basically what happened was I was about 20 yards in front of the green hitting my 3rd shot and I decided to use a lob wedge (mistake) and hit it over the green down a steep hill with a tree in my way.

Ended up coming back with a lot of pars on the back 9.  I literally always play better on the back 9.  48 on the front and 45 on the back.

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

Ended up with the Cobra Amp Cell set to a 10.5* draw.  He didn't even have me hit the Titleist because he told me that for an extra $200 it probably wasn't going to be worth it and I agreed.   Then I played at Diamond Oaks immediately after that and shot a 93 which isn't bad for me but I was hoping for better because I usually do well there.  I started out with an 8 and a 7 on the first two holes (par 4 and 5) which pretty much made me realize I wasn't beating my best score right away.  I tried to focus on having fun instead but it's difficult after starting with a quadruple bogey.  Basically what happened was I was about 20 yards in front of the green hitting my 3rd shot and I decided to use a lob wedge (mistake) and hit it over the green down a steep hill with a tree in my way.

Ended up coming back with a lot of pars on the back 9.  I literally always play better on the back 9.  48 on the front and 45 on the back.

What day did you play diamond oaks?  I actually got a text from some buddies Saturday night that they were playing at 8:30AM Sunday morning and went out with them.  Course was packed!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

What day did you play diamond oaks?  I actually got a text from some buddies Saturday night that they were playing at 8:30AM Sunday morning and went out with them.  Course was packed!

Saturday at 2 in the afternoon.  What did you think of the course?  How did you play?

Saturday at 2 in the afternoon.  What did you think of the course?  How did you play?

It was pretty funny.  All my buddies were complaining about the crabgrass in the fairways and rough all day.  Honestly I didn't play well, but I never do with those clowns.  I can't focus around them.  Back 9 I played pretty well.  But we played some WOLF format that I wasn't familiar with, so I don't even know what my final score was.  But it was likely north of 90.  That would be my worst score in a few months.

That course played pretty short, and I generally like longer courses.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

It was pretty funny.  All my buddies were complaining about the crabgrass in the fairways and rough all day.  Honestly I didn't play well, but I never do with those clowns.  I can't focus around them.  Back 9 I played pretty well.  But we played some WOLF format that I wasn't familiar with, so I don't even know what my final score was.  But it was likely north of 90.  That would be my worst score in a few months.

That course played pretty short, and I generally like longer courses.

I actually like the rough there.  I find that it's more coarse and that if my ball is in the rough I can usually get under it with my lob wedge easily and not have to stress about hitting it a little thin and sending it over the green (like I did on hole #1 that I quadruple bogeyed).  As far as the fairways I had zero complaints aside from the fact that they were a little wet.  Wasn't an issue for me but one of the guys I played with had his ball in a puddle and we told him he was allowed to move it.  I believe that is a general golf rule?

For the $35 we paid I really enjoy the course.  If you haven't played it, Woodcreek in Roseville has the same prices, carts with built in GPS, etc and the course is a little longer and more challenging, but not by much.

I've had some not too great scores in August.  97, 96, 88, 96, 93, 93.  I'm ready for that one round where everything just falls into place and I don't have any blow up holes

Wasn't an issue for me but one of the guys I played with had his ball in a puddle and we told him he was allowed to move it.  I believe that is a general golf rule?

Relief from standing water (I'm assuming "through the green") is free, I believe.

I'm going to set up a tee time this weekend to play golf with my girlfriend's dad and a couple mutual friends.  I haven't golfed with him before.  His only requirement was not Bass Lake (I fully agree) but i'm not sure where to book.  I'm thinking this would be a good time to try Teal Bend.

Go here to find one

http://www.ncga.org/

Quote:

While I'm in here with some Sacramento guys I have a question - how do I get an official handicap?  I've been calculating my own.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

A course nearby my work that I use the driving range at all the time has a club membership.  I try not to play there too often though because it's in bad shape.

There's an eClub Sacramento you can join for $75 and I think annual renewal is $50. The eClub are good if you're really interested in recording and maintaining your handicap, but you really don't interact as much as say an actual club at the local golf course. I would also check the other courses' websites to see if there's membership opportunities. Some you may not even find on the NCGA website.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

There's an eClub Sacramento you can join for $75 and I think annual renewal is $50. The eClub are good if you're really interested in recording and maintaining your handicap, but you really don't interact as much as say an actual club at the local golf course. I would also check the other courses' websites to see if there's membership opportunities. Some you may not even find on the NCGA website.

I suppose I could always keep track of my own handicap without paying the annual fees.  Do you have to have your score verified each round by another person who is also part of the organization?  And is this the way you are eligible for tournaments? I haven't heard of any tournaments in my area yet but I'm sure there are some going on.

Unless it's a tournament, it's mostly an honor system. Of course, the more people get to know you at a local golf club, they may find out you're cheating if you're not posting proper scores.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Played at Wildhawk golf course near Sacramento/Elk Grove this Saturday.  For those of you in here who aren't familiar with the course, it's probably one of the easier ones in the Sacramento area.  It's not a short course, and we played off the blues.  There are also more fairway bunkers here than in any other course I've seen.  But other than there isn't much trouble.  The trees are pretty small and it's one of those courses where if you have to play off the other fairway on a couple holes you can do so without killing your score.

I played with my girlfriend's dad and a couple mutual friends.  I had already spent some time with him and I like him, but never golfed together.  I knew he shoots in the 80s and I had to play well.  I got up to the first tee and I was the last to tee off and topped my driver so bad it only went 100 yards.  I managed to laugh it off and hit my second shot with a 5-iron 200 yards right up to the and ended up bogeying the hole.  It was all better after that first shot.  I made a pair of 20-foot downhill putts on the front 9.  My putting was literally better this weekend than it ever has been in my life.  Feels very very good.  Because of those 2 long putts I managed a +5 on the front 9.

On the back 9 I hit a tee shot out of bounds but didn't let it phase me and teed up another and send my third shot right down the fairway a solid 260 at least.  Ended up triple bogeying that hole unfortunately and shot a +9 on the back for a total of 86 - the best score of my life :-)

Gf's dad ended up also shooting an 86

It's been a pretty hectic last two weeks at work. Launched a new department in the warehouse and been doing a lot more process improvement stuff.

Anyway, there hasn't been much feedback on other courses, so I'll focus more on Callippe Preserve. I already contacted them and they'll be punching the greens on September 30, so an outing late October should work just fine. Still looking for October 26 or 27. Right now, weekend green fees are normally $65 and don't think the course will accommodate much lower than that even for a group. I'll still check with the pro shop or the GM if anything more can be arranged.

I'm hoping to set up the date and course in the next week so I can work on booking. In the meantime, we can start counting how many people. I might be +1.

Best Regards,
Ryan

• 1 month later...

I feel bad for not doing much follow up on this, but I guess we'd have to postpone the Norcal outing to a later date.

I'm still hoping to get an outing going before the end of the year. Mid-November is still an option, hopefully the rain stay away then.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Timing still works for me. My home course is all torn up, replacing 2 greens and sandchanneling another 9 of them, so I am effectively homeless.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Timing still works for me. My home course is all torn up, replacing 2 greens and sandchanneling another 9 of them, so I am effectively homeless.

Is San Jose Country Club your home course? One of our brokers at work said he's a member there and the grass had a disease and had to do a lot of maintenance the next few weeks.

Best Regards,
Ryan

Note: This thread is 3499 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!