IGNORED

Left Arm Swings?

Note: This thread is 3884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would this be a good drill for developing some power and coordination in your left arm that might help your overall swing?  It seems like it could promote that flat left wrist that always gets mentioned here.

*For right handed golfers of course

• Administrator

I can't say I've ever used it with anyone. Occasionally it's useful as a pitching drill.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I can't say I've ever used it with anyone. Occasionally it's useful as a pitching drill.

I took a lesson from a local pro recently and this was his advice.  He said he recommends it to any right handed player who tries to let the right side do a little too much in the swing.

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

Quote:

I took a lesson from a local pro recently and this was his advice.  He said he recommends it to any right handed player who tries to let the right side do a little too much in the swing.

I've found a new way to reduce right side involvement in my swing - develop tendinitis (tennis elbow) in the right forearm.  When I use too much right arm it hurts like crazy.

Actually not recommended, but it seems to have helped my accuracy with my driver the last couple of days.  Distance has been reduced with irons, so that's the downside.  Since I only have a two week window to play, I'm toughing through it.  5 days straight so far and today and tomorrow will make it 7 straight.  Friday is a day off.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

That doesn't sound like a pro with whom I'd agree on very much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That doesn't sound like a pro with whom I'd agree on very much.

He told me that it was the first tip given to him by a very famous pro who was an instructor at Pebble Beach when he was my age or a little younger.  I'm 24 and he's in his early 60s.  Can't remember the name of the pro at Pebble Beach

I do this a lot when in usually pitching. More control with my left arm and almost feel like I'm letting go of the club by releasing pressure on mi left thumb - seems to work so far...I'll hear the bounce of the club gently brush the grass when taking practice swings. For full irons though, I tend to use more my right arm or else I'll scoop and not compress the ball at all and not take a divot. I read a magazine where Vijay Singh kind of does the same thing with his driver, you can almost see where he almost releases the hands from the grip. Is this good for drivers, can you still get compression from the ball this way?

Originally Posted by nowayjoze

For full irons though, I tend to use more my right arm or else I'll scoop and not compress the ball...

That seems totally backwards to me.  If I used my right arm more I think I would end up pushing the clubhead ahead of my hands and scoop the ball.

He told me that it was the first tip given to him by a very famous pro who was an instructor at Pebble Beach when he was my age or a little younger.  I'm 24 and he's in his early 60s.  Can't remember the name of the pro at Pebble Beach

Obviously not the same pro, but that drill does have a bit of precedent. Henry Cotton was a huge advocate of one-armed swings - left and right handed, and all the way up into the long irons! For a guy who played with shafts painted to look like hickory, he was well ahead of his time with the emphasis he placed on developing golf specific strength and co-ordination.

Note: This thread is 3884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!