IGNORED

Pop Fly?

Note: This thread is 3864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

During my last couple rounds and trips to the driving range I had a weird thing happen (randomly) that has never happened before.  I go to hit a drive and the ball does a very high pop fly and only goes about 130 yards.  The ball isn't teed up any higher (maybe even a bit lower actually) than my drives that fly normal or at a different position in my stance and it doesn't hook or slice or feel weird on impact, it just flies very high and doesn't go anywhere.  Any idea what might cause this?

Your swing is very steep. You hit the ball off the very top of the club face. You may even see a mark on the top of the club itself. I wouldn't be surprised if you actually took a divot with your drive....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suspected that might be a cause but there is no mark on the club that would seem to indicate it.  I almost never hit the ground on my drives, that only happens if my stance is too wide.  I will have to pay more attention to my backswing then, I thought I was keeping the club low but maybe I'm cranking it up steeper since I've been trying to swing a bit harder the last few weeks.

If you're popping it up and not hitting the ground, You may want to tee the ball a bit lower. Try no higher than the equater of the ball even with the top of the driver. Then, if you don't hit the ground, it's physically impossible to pop the ball up.....

In David's bag....

• Administrator

Head moving forward, ball too far back, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by David in FL

Try no higher than the equater of the ball even with the top of the driver. Then, if you don't hit the ground, it's physically impossible to pop the ball up.....

You know what's funny is this is the first thing I did and I still got the popup.  I was like are you kidding me.. because I thought it would be physically impossible to do also.  It's very strange though but I'm guessing it's the steep swing eventhough it doesn't feel that way at all.  I'll investigate Thursday.

You know what's funny is this is the first thing I did and I still got the popup.  I was like are you kidding me.. because I thought it would be physically impossible to do also.  It's very strange though but I'm guessing it's the steep swing eventhough it doesn't feel that way at all.  I'll investigate Thursday.

Don't misunderstand....it's absolutely possible to pop it up, even if you tee the ball down. It's just not going to happen without also striking the ground. Of course the real issue is figuring out why you're that steep at impact.....that I can't help with, though if you post a swing video, some of the swing experts will certainly be able to provide some good insight.

In David's bag....

Spine angle could have something to do with it too.  I always do the reverse-k when I hit driver and its helped to greatly lessen how many pop-ups I hit.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

try not to set the head of the club on the ground before your back swing. hover the club behind the ball. also make sure when you set up that you have not moved your body forward to the ball set up with the club head and hands in the middle of your stance. when you set up and put the club head and hands right at the ball you have moved the lowest part of your swing to the ball. you wanna catch the ball after the lowest point of your swing. so at set up the ball is just inside your left foot the club head of the driver is set 4 inches behind the ball should keep your lowest point before the ball. try it and see what happens

Yeah I've watched that video a couple times over the last several months.  Went to the range earlier and think I got it, was just swinging too steep.  Figured out part (most, actually) of the reason I wasn't getting much loft on my irons too.  I wasn't leaning far enough ahead, over my shoelaces.  It feels a little weird leaning that far forward but I can really chop down on the ball and shoot it out there.

Originally Posted by Machmood

Could of done without the music in the background but good video

yea the music is bad but a great video. it all makes sense when you look at what you do in your set up if your having a problem with a slice or hitting the ball fat

Note: This thread is 3864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!